Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fever after Immunizations?
bubblegum 10:48 AM 01-19-2015
If a child gets a fever after immunizations does that mean they are contagious?
daycare 10:53 AM 01-19-2015
Originally Posted by bubblegum:
If a child gets a fever after immunizations does that mean they are contagious?
no not necessarily, but I would still send home. I only go off of symptoms. we don't know 100% for sure why dck has a fever, it could be the immunization it could be that they are sick with something.

I don't allow kids to attend after immunizations
LysesKids 11:07 AM 01-19-2015
I also don't allow a child to attend for 24 hrs after being Vaxed... Fever could be from the shot or it might be something else as was said. I also exclude for symptoms not diagnoses
finsup 05:53 PM 01-20-2015
I would assume it was from the VAX first, it they would be sent home regardless. I don't accept kids the day they get their shots though. But if they have a fever on the following day, they go home. I gave up trying to determine where the fever came from or why its happening. Now its just like over 100.4? Bye bye!
Cradle2crayons 07:17 PM 01-20-2015
I've seen it happen quite frequently that baby goes to dr office to get their vax... and ends up with the flu or something else contagious because most dr offices don't separate sick and well babies.

My 3.5 month old dcg caught the flu apparently from her dr office when she went with her mother for a well check. Mom is very very careful. Doesn't take baby to walmart and doesn't allow sick people to visit. Nobody here was sick. But several people in the waiting room had the flu. Baby got the flu A, her brother got it, and then mother got it. All due to a well baby check (More than likely).

So, fever after immunizations could be from the vax... ORRRRR something else they were exposed to.
SilverSabre25 08:03 AM 01-21-2015
Like everything else it REALLY does not matter the cause--if the symptom warrants exclusion, exclude. And on the other side of the coin, if the symptom isn't bad enough to warrant exclusion....grin and bear it.
AmyKidsCo 08:30 AM 01-21-2015
ITA with everything said her. Personally, a fever is a fever so I'd send the child home. Even if it's not contagious most of the time feverish children aren't feeling 100% anyway, so it's better for them to be home.
Tags:allergic reactions, fever, immunizations
Reply Up