Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Disappointed...
AfterSchoolMom 07:11 AM 06-13-2011
It's the last week of school, and I had all kinds of special activities, snacks, and end of year gifts planned. I've already bought most of the things I needed.

The one family that is leaving for good (kids are aging out) didn't pay Friday, then emailed this morning to say the kids wouldn't be coming back at all. I've had them for two years and won't be able to give them their gifts or even say goodbye.

Not to mention the fact that now I'm out the money for TWO kids this week that I was counting on.

I could technically pursue it b/c they're in violation of their contract, but it's just not worth it.

Cross your fingers for me that next year I'll get some great families - I think I'm due for it!!
Cat Herder 07:35 AM 06-13-2011
They left without paying for services already rendered????
momofboys 07:55 AM 06-13-2011
I'm sorry!!!!! Do they owe you $$$$$? I would definitely let them know they left without paying or with an outstanding bill. Shame on them!!!! And yes, I definitely hope you are blessed with some new/better clients for the fall.
jen 10:57 AM 06-13-2011
I would send them an invoice!!!
thecrazyisout 11:05 AM 06-13-2011
Heck yes you should send them an invoice...and another...and anothere....along with your policies saying you could persue this in a legal manner. Don't let them walk all over you like that. You could also deliver the gifts to the door personally with a special gift of an invoice to the parents.....
Kaddidle Care 11:11 AM 06-13-2011
I'm gathering that they are paid up to date but didn't give you 2 weeks notice as per contract? (But you were expecting them this last week so really they are short 1 week notice if I gathered that right.)

That was really crummy of them. Take the gifts back and recoop some of your $$.

Don't worry, karma will get them back.
daycare 11:15 AM 06-13-2011
I would go over and hand deliver the gifts and the invoice with a due by date.
jojosmommy 11:32 AM 06-13-2011
I would tell them they are going to miss out on the special things you had planned and that you had gifts to give them. I would be upset about the $$ too but I don't know to what lengths I would go to persue that. I bet the parents didnt even think about the fact that you had special things planned and took the time to prepare gifts etc. The being inconsiderate of your efforts would annoy me more but that is typical of many parents.
AfterSchoolMom 11:59 AM 06-13-2011
Kadiddle Care, you have it right. They were paid up through last week. They're technically leaving with no notice, but with five days left, it's just not worth the hassle to pursue anything. I emailed and told them that they were missing out on the end of year goodies, and that they could pick up their gifts this week. If they don't get them by Friday I'm going to return them. As far as the treats, I can just save those for my own kids.

Jojosmommy, you're right, it IS typical, and that's sad.

However, to put a positive spin on it, this is the family that NEVER pays on time, and who has given me considerable trouble...so even though I'll miss the kids, it really is a relief in the end to be rid of the parents.
PolarCare 02:18 PM 06-13-2011
I think parents tend to really underestimate the bond between caregivers and kids especially in a home based setting. Most of us spend WAY more of the kids waking time with them than their parents do. The family from hell that I just termed has a new provider every few months (red flag, I know). You have to feel for the kids in that situation. And then the parents discount the relationship and are willing to burn a bridge to save a few bucks? I mean, these are their kids we are talking about here...you'd think it would mean more to them.
Unregistered 02:44 PM 06-13-2011
I think a lot of caregivers overestimate the bond between themselves and the kids. Do you hear a lot of people thanking their daycare providers in speeches and such? Sorry, but again with the attitude that the providers are more important than the parents. I'm sorry, but it's just not true!
Live and Learn 03:38 PM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think a lot of caregivers overestimate the bond between themselves and the kids. Do you hear a lot of people thanking their daycare providers in speeches and such? Sorry, but again with the attitude that the providers are more important than the parents. I'm sorry, but it's just not true!
FIVE DAYS A WEEK these kids are with me more hours of the day then they are awake with their own parents.

Yah, I would say I have an impact. I see their first sit up, roll overs, steps, and hear their first words. I don't tell the parents because I don't want to hurt their feelings.

I know what they are missing out on but SOME parents minimize the influence we have. The irony is they don't know what they are missing out on.

I have had so many parents over the years tell me that they eat, sleep, behave better for me than they do at home. Most of my dc parents are first time parents.

I have been a parent of many children of my own for 17 years and have been a dc provider to many more.

I know that I don't love my dc children more than their parents but to be honest in most cases I provide better care here than they get at home.

It is called experience.
PolarCare 05:28 PM 06-13-2011
At no point in my post did I say that the providers are more important than the parents. However, given the amount of time that many providers spend with the children they care for daily, relationships ARE formed, and bonds ARE formed. If this isn't happening in your child's current daycare situation, I would certainly reassess the quality of care.
Hunni Bee 06:14 PM 06-13-2011
I had a dcg who has been at the Center FOUR YEARS just suddenly not come back - no call, no notice, no thank you taking care of my kid with all her food allergies and RSV and asthma and behavior problems for four long years. I mean, I've done personal favors for this child that I won't get into on here...she's even been to my house.

And what about the child? She can't remember a time when she didn't go to my Center...and she was hardly ever absent. She had friends there she's known almost all of her life, I"VE been in her life for nearly all of it...she didn't even get to say goodbye. True she was a handful, it was probably time for her do something new, like Pre-K...but to just rip her away like that seemed cruel to me.

Not to mention the dcm still owes for the first two weeks of June, and since she failed to give proper notice she now owes for the next two weeks. She told us last week the the girl would'nt be back after this Friday, but after that day she never came back.
Sugar Magnolia 07:42 PM 06-13-2011
Some people UNDERestimate the bond caregivers form with children. Just because they are not our own children, doesn't mean we are incapable of loving. Do you ever hear people thanking their exhausted, uninvolved and generally disinterested parents in speeches? No, you don't. Sorry, but the attitude that daycare providers are NOT important in a childs life is just plain ignorant.

BLECH !

OP: I am sorry the parents deprived you and the child(ren) of your goodbyes. That's rude. Please ignore the unregistered post. I bet they are one of the thoughtless, self-centered and disinterested parents that routinely drive us to these dissapointing vent posts. .
littlemissmuffet 09:38 PM 06-13-2011
My average dck spends 40 AWAKE hours with me in a 7 day week - and only 32 AWAKE hours with mom and dad in a 7 day week. The 40 AWAKE hours with me are 100% focused on giving these children attention and care... I'm not texting on my cellphone, I'm not showering/bathing, I'm not watching tv, I'm not driving, I'm not grocery shopping, I'm not running errands, I'm not on the telephone, I am not making a budget, I am not paying billS, I'm not having a nap... I'm not doing ANYTHING but paying attention to the children in my care, laughing with them, teaching them, cuddling them, playing with them.
I don't need speeches, I get all the thanks I need in the hugs and kisses, the snuggles and "I love you"s from my daycare babies!!
You haven't the slightest idea how often us nobody daycare providers are called MOM by our dcks. But, like you said, we're overestimating our bond with your kids.
AfterSchoolMom 04:37 AM 06-14-2011
I don't need thanks, nor do I think I'm more important than the parents. Never said either of those things. All I said was that I'm disappointed that they wouldn't be here for the special activities that I took three weeks to plan, and that I didn't get to say goodbye to children that have been in my care for two years.
Lisa4kids 05:10 AM 06-14-2011
I know what you are going through... at the begining of the year I had a similar situation. I was caring for a great nephew (9 months old)... although my neice did give me notice, she came to my home the day before his last day of care and told me it was his last day...TODAY! She acted odd and was not very talkative like normal. We didn't have our last day with the little guy, none of us were able to say goodbye. The next day I found out through FB that she was upset with me because she couldn't get on my FB page and "assumed" I was blocking her from it... WOW! After calling her about it and letting her know I dont have anyone "blocked" from my page (that it must be another FB screw up). Anyone else would have just asked me upfront about it. Anyway, to me missing my nephews "last day" was the kicker and left me feeling empty and sad inside. She can never take that back and we dont talk anymore. After that experience, I haven't been on FB since. I feel it was very inconsiderate of her to do. The money meant nothing to me in the end, but missing that little guy left a hole in my heart.
Tags:non-payment
Reply Up