Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Questions To Ask Regarding Kids?
Ariana 01:52 PM 01-29-2012
I have an interview tomorrow for a 2 year old to join my daycare in September. He's currently in full-time care but the daycare is closing.

I don't want to make the same mistakes with interviews in the past where I was mainly concerned with wacko parents and not asking too much about the kids. I thought I could handle any behavior because of my daycare centre past but being at home with my own daughter changes things. I just don't like the chaos!!

What are some good questions I could ask to get a feel for the child's behavior and personality? What are your standard questions?

TIA
Blackcat31 03:37 PM 01-29-2012
I usually meet the child during the first interview so I have a general idea of what I want to ask parents during the next (adult only) interview.

I ask parents to tell me a bit about their schedules for sleeping, eating and general disposition.

I also ask what they do for discipline. I give an example, such as if the parent told the child to clean up their toys and the child refuses, what happens?

I ask if I can speak with the previous provider also. (The answer tells alot)

I also ask parents what their goals and dreams are for their child. I talk alot about parenting philosophies (If their's doesn't match mine, we are NOT going to work well together)

I also ask if their child bites, has tantrums, listens well and/or behaves in public. Their answers also reveal alot. (are there alot of excuses, acceptance or effort put into changing negative behaviors etc?).

If I happen to see a specific behavior from the child during the first visit, I will ask a parent if that is normal behavior or not.

Obviously the child a parent cares for is not always the child we have in care, but the answers they give tell me alot about whether we are going to be able to work well together or not and if we are on the same page with what we want for their child.
Mary Poppins 09:23 PM 01-29-2012
I jokingly ask what their child's sign is.

The reason I do this is because I use it as an ice breaker to dig into their behaviors. One dcm took me seriously and went on and on about her Scorpio child and how she "seriously thinks he has a demon or something sometimes".

Needless to say, after learning all about him, he isn't in my care.
Ariana 06:02 AM 01-30-2012
Thanks eveyone!! I think asking about how they deal with bad behavior is a good for sure!!
Tags:interview, parents - ask too much
Reply Up