Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thanks Again Nannyde
MizzCheryl 09:54 AM 11-07-2013
I took an 8 month old DCG 2 weeks ago. She would not nap for me at all. She had only slept 15 minutes a few times.
I did a 30 min. consult with Nannyde yesterday and today she is sleeping in her bed. I did a little jig! So happy!
Thanks AGAIN Nannyde.
I am sitting here relaxing drinking a cup of coffee.
Unregistered 12:14 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by MizzCheryl:
I took an 8 month old DCG 2 weeks ago. She would not nap for me at all. She had only slept 15 minutes a few times.
I did a 30 min. consult with Nannyde yesterday and today she is sleeping in her bed. I did a little jig! So happy!
Thanks AGAIN Nannyde.
Yea!!!
craftymissbeth 12:37 PM 11-07-2013
I would LOVE to do a consult with nannyde, but she intimidates me
Blackcat31 12:43 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:

She is really a sweet, soft spoken gal that truly has a heart of gold.

It's only her written words that seem to come off as harsh, but that because she knows her stuff and doesn't need to add fluff.

Have you watched her youtube videos?

You can see/hear the gentleness I'm talking about.
craftymissbeth 12:47 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

It's only her written words that seem to come off as harsh, but that because she knows her stuff and doesn't need to add fluff.

Yes, and I love them! I love her advice and totally appreciate her bluntness. I'm new to the home daycare world and can just imagine myself on the phone with her going "uh...uh...I dunno...uh..."
Michael 01:13 PM 11-07-2013
For those interested, Nannyde wrote some really good articles for Daycare.com and are worth a read: https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/
MizzCheryl 03:03 PM 11-07-2013
Oh when you speak to her she is absolutely the sweetest person I have ever spoken with. She has the most gentle voice.
She absolutely empowers you. Best thing I ever did for me and my daycare kids.
craftymissbeth 03:36 PM 11-07-2013
Oh when you speak to her she is absolutely the sweetest person I have ever spoken with. She has the most gentle voice.
She absolutely empowers you. Best thing I ever did for me and my daycare kids.
I am DEFINITELY going to keep her in mind! I'm so glad she was able to help you out. I consider her kind of... daycare.com royalty...? lol if that makes sense.
LaLa1923 04:07 PM 11-07-2013

Heidi 04:13 PM 11-07-2013

nannyde 04:25 PM 11-07-2013
I am DEFINITELY going to keep her in mind! I'm so glad she was able to help you out. I consider her kind of... daycare.com royalty...? lol if that makes sense.
Awww thanks. I love daycare.com. I'm not royalty. I'm a big fan!

Consults are really easy. I've never had anyone be nervous after the first few minutes. I do an initial set of standard questions so I can get a feel for your deal and then target your needs. It is super low key...

The only drawback is the time goes by really fast.
nannyde 04:26 PM 11-07-2013
Thanks AGAIN Nannyde.
That little stinkbot just got got
Heidi 04:30 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Nan...do you have a minimum age for the tough love? My little guy is now 5 months old, and we are headed there a.s.a.p.
nannyde 04:38 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Nan...do you have a minimum age for the tough love? My little guy is now 5 months old, and we are headed there a.s.a.p.
It depends on how long I have had the kid and how strong he/she is. If he/she is a newbie and tiny I would go low and slow.
Heidi 04:54 PM 11-07-2013
It depends on how long I have had the kid and how strong he/she is. If he/she is a newbie and tiny I would go low and slow.
5 months, have had him since 6 weeks, and he's a feisty fellow. Every day, he convinces me more that he knows what's-what.
nannyde 05:13 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
5 months, have had him since 6 weeks, and he's a feisty fellow. Every day, he convinces me more that he knows what's-what.
At that age the babies all take a full afternoon nap and a full morning nap. I do 1.5 hrs in the morning and 2.5 in the afternoon!
MizzCheryl 05:24 PM 11-07-2013
Yep! and she took a solid hour and a half nap. Ahhh it was a good day!
Heidi 06:06 AM 11-08-2013
At that age the babies all take a full afternoon nap and a full morning nap. I do 1.5 hrs in the morning and 2.5 in the afternoon!
Yep...one hour am and 3 in the afternoon here. He sometimes sleeps less, but is learning to self-regulate and stay in his crib for a little while.

I also ditched the pacifier. It was not helping at all. Since he can't get it himself, it was just more work for me to replace it. It takes him a little longer to fall asleep, but we're getting there. Of course, Monday will be retraining again, because on the weekends he is out and about with mom a lot. He does a lot of carseat napping then.
MCC 06:37 AM 11-08-2013
Nannyde- do you have a link to your youtube videos? I would love to watch them!
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 11-08-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...Tori+Fees&sm=3
MCC 08:05 AM 11-08-2013
Thank you!
nannyde 09:53 AM 11-08-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
I did one today so parents willing we will have a new one coming.

My fave is Tink!
LaLa1923 09:58 AM 11-08-2013
I did one today so parents willing we will have a new one coming.

My fave is Tink!
Did you open back up?
nannyde 10:00 AM 11-08-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
Did you open back up?
Yes. My house didn't sell so I opened for a small group (Babes and toddler) Putting it back on the market in April.
My3cents 11:00 AM 11-08-2013

My3cents 11:04 AM 11-08-2013
Yes. My house didn't sell so I opened for a small group (Babes and toddler) Putting it back on the market in April.
I am tickled your back! Sorry but I am
nannyde 04:51 PM 11-11-2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnnKGK1mWBA

Latest installment of Youtube videos
MCC 05:21 PM 11-11-2013

Patches 05:57 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:408429:

Great video. Also want to say thank you for the one handed car play video. As son as I saw it, I started teaching my dcks
nannyde 06:17 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
Great video. Also want to say thank you for the one handed car play video. As son as I saw it, I started teaching my dcks
Simple fixes!
Michelle 08:44 PM 11-11-2013
I really like the Tummy time video
so many people just leave babies in walkers and I love it that she refers to tummy time as working out because it really is a workout for a baby

Cradle2crayons 08:49 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
so many people just leave babies in walkers and I love it that she refers to tummy time as working out because it really is a workout for a baby
Yes it is!! My smallest guy loves tummy time. But I've had him since he got out of the NICU at two weeks old. So he's used to he routine. At four months, he's a strapping 16 lb baby and strong as heck !!
Michelle 09:05 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Yes it is!! My smallest guy loves tummy time. But I've had him since he got out of the NICU at two weeks old. So he's used to he routine. At four months, he's a strapping 16 lb baby and strong as heck !!
I would love to see the Bye Bye at the door demonstration. (drop off)
Maybe with a "parent actor" asking all the different questions to stall and get their kids worked up.
I would love to see the way she responds to questions like " Does Johnny cry for me during the day?
just a thought

Cradle2crayons 05:13 AM 11-12-2013
I would love to see the Bye Bye at the door demonstration. (drop off)
Maybe with a "parent actor" asking all the different questions to stall and get their kids worked up.
I would love to see the way she responds to questions like " Does Johnny cry for me during the day?
just a thought
That's a great idea Michelle!! Maybe nanny will take you up on that.

I've had to do that technique very few times and I'd love to see her do it. I'm sure it's not as awkward as he way it seemed for me. I guess I just haven't done it enough.
nannyde 10:57 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
That's a great idea Michelle!! Maybe nanny will take you up on that.

I've had to do that technique very few times and I'd love to see her do it. I'm sure it's not as awkward as he way it seemed for me. I guess I just haven't done it enough.
Fortunately I don't have to institute the Buh Bye Outside technique very often. I haven't had to do it for quite a few years. I'm pretty strict about parent and child drop off - pick up behavior so that quells the potential for door drama.

The biggest hurdle is to be willing to discipline the baby-toddler in front of the parent AND to be clear to the parent what you will and won't have.

It starts with the baby pulling on moms hair, soft bites to the shoulder, or slapping whapping at her face. The very first time I see even slight aggression or excited physical acting out toward Mom I say NO to it. I send the message that I don't want that at all.

That is the first tip toe into the bad behavior so I get it stopped right away.
blandino 11:31 AM 11-12-2013
I am lucky that right now we have 4 infants who LOVE playing on the floor. But with other groups it has been a HUGE challenge. I have some parents who say "they don't like it", so somehow that means that they should never spend time in their tummy and back. They have to get used to it to like it, but some parents don't want to hear them peep, much less fuss, so they don't do any floor time at home. We work hard on it - but it is so much easier when they aren't miserable.
Michelle 01:47 PM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I am lucky that right now we have 4 infants who LOVE playing on the floor. But with other groups it has been a HUGE challenge. I have some parents who say "they don't like it", so somehow that means that they should never spend time in their tummy and back. They have to get used to it to like it, but some parents don't want to hear them peep, much less fuss, so they don't do any floor time at home. We work hard on it - but it is so much easier when they aren't miserable.
then how do they expect these babies to crawl?
nannyde 02:29 PM 11-12-2013
then how do they expect these babies to crawl?
You wouldn't believe how many parents brag about their kid just sprouting up and walking without crawling. It's a gifted athlete deal e o.
Michelle 02:52 PM 11-12-2013
You wouldn't believe how many parents brag about their kid just sprouting up and walking without crawling. It's a gifted athlete deal e o.
Wow, I thought that the longer a baby crawls the better.
Someone told me that it helps with coordination and babies have to crawl in order to walk.
blandino 07:26 PM 11-12-2013
Absolutely !

I have no idea how they expect them to achieve any physical milestone without practice. Probably when

I saw an entire article the other day with pictures of how to get your baby to do tummy time when they hate the floor. Most had pictures of moms laying on the floor and having the baby lay on them (or some twist on that idea). There was no attempt at all to lay them on the actual floor.

My licensing monitor told me that milestones are being hit later and later because of the minuscule amount of time babies spend on their tummies. I have had more parents that not tell me that they don't do tummy time because their child doesn't like it. (I could write for hours on the "my child doesn't like it" idea, but I won't).

I had a DCM ask if we needed an extra hand with a baby because the baby was doing tummy time and whining. She looked kind of surprised when we said we were purposefully working on it.
blandino 07:26 PM 11-12-2013
Wow, I thought that the longer a baby crawls the better.
Someone told me that it helps with coordination and babies have to crawl in order to walk.
I believe there is also a connection between crawling and reading.
nannyde 07:31 PM 11-12-2013
I believe there is also a connection between crawling and reading.
Wowie zops. That explains why all mine can read by age four!

Amazing if true.
blandino 07:34 PM 11-12-2013
http://www.medcentral.org/main/Whats...tcrawling.aspx

There were lots of other articles, I didn't check well for accuracy - but this was the first detailed one that seemed reliable.
Michelle 10:41 PM 11-12-2013
http://www.medcentral.org/main/Whats...tcrawling.aspx

There were lots of other articles, I didn't check well for accuracy - but this was the first detailed one that seemed reliable.
really good article
Cradle2crayons 05:36 AM 11-13-2013
Fortunately I don't have to institute the Buh Bye Outside technique very often. I haven't had to do it for quite a few years. I'm pretty strict about parent and child drop off - pick up behavior so that quells the potential for door drama.

The biggest hurdle is to be willing to discipline the baby-toddler in front of the parent AND to be clear to the parent what you will and won't have.

It starts with the baby pulling on moms hair, soft bites to the shoulder, or slapping whapping at her face. The very first time I see even slight aggression or excited physical acting out toward Mom I say NO to it. I send the message that I don't want that at all.

That is the first tip toe into the bad behavior so I get it stopped right away.
Yes you are right, maybe that's why I also have had to do it very few times.

My parents are like my kids. They KNOW better. They rarely try to act stupidly, and if they do, they know there will be consequences lol.
LaLa1923 06:06 AM 11-13-2013
Wowie zops. That explains why all mine can read by age four!

Amazing if true.
How do they read by four?
Michelle 06:47 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
How do they read by four?
2-3 years- teach them letter recognition and letter sounds
3-4 years teach them simple words to read using phonics and sound it out
and they are reading
all my kids read by 4 also
the key is small groups and one on one reading attention

Tags:nannyde, won't sleep
Reply Up