Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SA's and Homework
BentleysBands 06:28 AM 11-01-2010
if you have SA's , do you do homework w/them, watch over them,etc?? just curious as to what others do...thankfully my SA's are in kindergarten but if i had older ones i wouldn't do hw with them. imo thats for a parent to make sure gets done.
MarinaVanessa 06:48 AM 11-01-2010
I "supervise" their homework, meaning that I don't sit there with them while they do it. I just make sure that they are doing it. If they have a question or don't understand the instructions then they can ask me but I think that checking the work and making sure that it's all done is the parent's responsibility. At least they do their work here though, then all the parent's have to do is check it. Keeps my SA's busy too for a bit while I'm with the other younger kids.
melskids 06:52 AM 11-01-2010
i give them time to do homework, and i will help if they need it. but i wont do it for them, lol, check to be sure its right or completed, or spend alot of time if they dont understand it. if they just arent getting it, i tend to say "maybe mom/dad will be able to help you when you go home"

the only reason i do this is because my own son is very pokey when it comes to getting it done, and can stretch out a 5 minute sheet to 2 hrs. so we start early, when the other SA are here. that way its done when the kids go home, and we have more free time to just hang out as a family.
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 11-01-2010
I give them a quiet place to do homework and "try" to help if they have ???'s but I do not sit and help them with it because it is their parents job to do it. Plus I don't get half of what they are learning...haha!
tenderhearts 07:21 AM 11-01-2010
Me personally when my daughter was in daycare kindegarten and first grade I didn't not want her to do her homework at daycare, I wanted her to do it at home. I have never had a parent as me to do homework with their kids, I have had some bring it out and work on it but I dont' monitor what they are doing, if they ask me a question, well fine but I don't "help" them with it.
A few years ago I did have a parent that dropped her kids off at 5:45am and she said "I need you to go over her spelling words this morning before school, we didn't have time last night.", Ugh well I don't have time in the morning either, sorry, she wasn't happy.
misol 07:39 AM 11-01-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I "supervise" their homework, meaning that I don't sit there with them while they do it. I just make sure that they are doing it. If they have a question or don't understand the instructions then they can ask me but I think that checking the work and making sure that it's all done is the parent's responsibility. At least they do their work here though, then all the parent's have to do is check it. Keeps my SA's busy too for a bit while I'm with the other younger kids.
I currently don't have and SA's enrolled but this would be exactly how I would handle homework.

Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
A few years ago I did have a parent that dropped her kids off at 5:45am and she said "I need you to go over her spelling words this morning before school, we didn't have time last night.", Ugh well I don't have time in the morning either, sorry, she wasn't happy.
This is a definite no-no. I would have told her the exact same thing.
DancingQueen 10:02 AM 11-01-2010
I never thought to have the SA do homework.
Should I be?

I'm sure parents would LOVE that - one less thing to do at night - but I do NOT want to get stuck helping them...LOL

that might even help with the crazy behavior that starts right when they get off the bus.

but that my friends.. is another post )
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:09 AM 11-01-2010
I have one sa here in the afternoons and wont have him much longer. But I dont do homework,.. I let them read, sit and relax, or play with the littles if they want but they are not required to do homework.
SandeeAR 10:19 AM 11-01-2010
When my kids were young and in school, I gave them at least 1 -1 1/2 hour break after school before homework. I was a SAHM. I felt they needed that break before getting back to school. So, if I had SA's, I would give them a snack and play break first. If they were going to be there later, I would have them start homework. JMHO
TGT09 01:10 PM 11-01-2010
I help or supervise as long as a parent asks for us to start it. My SA's are here for about 30-45 minutes so some days they are only able to get down their snack before dcp's come. I try to at least have them in the routine of starting it though. I use to have a dcg for 90 minutes last year and she definitely had to start on her homework. It was up to her mom to make sure it was all completed correctly and to double check and sign off on it though.
Lilbutterflie 01:55 PM 11-01-2010
When I was young I was in daycare until my mom picked me up at 6p... and she expected me to have my homework completed. While I see the positive sides to this, there is also another side.
Here in North Texas, most school districts only give the kids (even elementary) about a half hour of recess for the ENTIRE day! Where I grew up in CA, we had two 45 minute recesses a day. I feel as if my own DD in kindergarten comes home burnt out, and for this reason I think if I had SA's in my daycare I would allow them to have at least an hour to play and a half hour for snack before making them do homework.
Part of me also kind of feels that the parent should be involved in their child's homework. I like to do homework with my DD, mostly so that I know what she's learning and what she is struggling with. That's just me.
AfterSchoolMom 04:28 PM 11-01-2010
I have all SA's. They come in in the afternoon and have a snack and some unwinding time (about 30 minutes), and then they have 30 minutes of homework time. I set a timer and they must be quiet during this time. If they have a question I'll help them, otherwise they're on their own. I don't check their assignments, I don't make sure they've done everything, and I don't help with school projects or extra stuff. If they don't get finished before the time is up, I don't push them unless they're almost done. I make sure that all of the parents know that it's their responsibility to check their own child's homework each night and to finish up if necessary. I will, however, let a parent know if a child is flat out refusing to do homework or if he/she seems to be having trouble consistently.

We usually have plenty of time after snack and homework to play.
Tags:homework
Reply Up