Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Group Daycare
MommyofThree 12:43 PM 02-02-2012
Ok so I run a group daycare where I can have 12 children that arn't school agers and four before and after school children. So my question is at the interview I what should I say about my numbers? 12 seems like wow I wont go with her even when I say I have an assistant So today a mom termed because she walked into the play room and seen seven children and seemed dumbfounded She said I mislead her but she never asked how many kids I had nor did I offer to tell her. Im lost for words over this! Does it look discietful if I dont let them in the play room. I think its easier for parents to drop off at the door. What is ur policy about parents walking through ur home to go in the playroom? Thank you
SD DaycareMOM 12:48 PM 02-02-2012
My dc parents are welcome to come into the house, but they usually do not leave the entry. I would say that if this dcm was not comfortable with that many kids, then it just isn't the right fit for her. Did you ask her in what way she felt misled? Or if having seven (or more) kids present means that they are not being provided with adequate care? Maybe she just overreacted and talking through it with her would help her to feel more at ease.
MommyofThree 01:08 PM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by SD DaycareMOM:
My dc parents are welcome to come into the house, but they usually do not leave the entry. I would say that if this dcm was not comfortable with that many kids, then it just isn't the right fit for her. Did you ask her in what way she felt misled? Or if having seven (or more) kids present means that they are not being provided with adequate care? Maybe she just overreacted and talking through it with her would help her to feel more at ease.
I which I could do over BUT I have the biggest mouth on me and that is my bad trait It went further then just that so there is no talking it through. I just dont know if this is the right path anymore and I just got registered
Blackcat31 01:17 PM 02-02-2012
Why not be proactive and ask during the interview process what type of setting are the parents looking for?

Do they want a small intimate group or a large social group?

Many of the issues providers face are because of the lack of information shared or asked during interviews.

I am also group care and can have as many as 14 children. However, during any interview process I ask parents if they are comfortable with or looking for a large or small group.

I also take the opportunity to ask a parent how important it is that their child has the same age/sex playmates. I can't always guarantee that I will have two of every age/sex but knowing whether or not that is an important point for a parent helps.
MommyofThree 01:34 PM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why not be proactive and ask during the interview process what type of setting are the parents looking for?

Do they want a small intimate group or a large social group?

Many of the issues providers face are because of the lack of information shared or asked during interviews.

I am also group care and can have as many as 14 children. However, during any interview process I ask parents if they are comfortable with or looking for a large or small group.

I also take the opportunity to ask a parent how important it is that their child has the same age/sex playmates. I can't always guarantee that I will have two of every age/sex but knowing whether or not that is an important point for a parent helps.
OMG thank you so much blackcat. I would never of thought of that but I will deff use it during my interview. I have never asked that ever and I bet if I did then there would not be this issue Because instead of them asking how many I could ask that and it will sound better I think. Thanks again
SilverSabre25 01:40 PM 02-02-2012
Not everyone can be pleased though.

I once interviewed with a parent who chose not to use me because I have my own kids.

I had another not used me because I only had one child of my own.

And another not use me because they felt that I shouldn't be keeping such a small group (max of 6 children at a time in my state...she really thought I should break the law ).

it takes all kinds...and kind of underscored WHY it's good for providers to all be so different.
Tags:group care
Reply Up