Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dope and Drop for Teething
DaycareMom 07:46 AM 03-03-2014
The other dope and drop thread and my experience with DCB this morning got me thinking about this.

I am curious what your policy is regarding dope and drop when they claim it is for teething. DCM has done this a few times in the past few weeks. She keeps saying he is cranky because he is getting his molars so I gave him some tylenol.

How do you handle this?
Blackcat31 07:48 AM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
The other dope and drop thread and my experience with DCB this morning got me thinking about this.

I am curious what your policy is regarding dope and drop when they claim it is for teething. DCM has done this a few times in the past few weeks. She keeps saying he is cranky because he is getting his molars so I gave him some tylenol.

How do you handle this?
If a child needs meds for ANY reason, they are not allowed to be here.

How does DCM KNOW it's teething?
MarinaVanessa 08:16 AM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If a child needs meds for ANY reason, they are not allowed to be here.

How does DCM KNOW it's teething?

This is what I do too. I say that a fever over 100 is grounds for exclusion, no matter what the reason ... even teething. I also exclude if a child is under any OTC medication whatsoever. If a child is in so much pain or has a fever of 100 or more and needs pain/fever reducer then the child is not well enough to attend. If an infant is teething and is in so much pain/discomfort and grouchy/crying that he needs to be medicated then really that child should stay home.
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:33 AM 03-03-2014
I roll my eyes when they shut the door and go about my day. I don't have a no meds policy. I only exclude when they puke, run a fever that is obviously not teething, or have more than one bout of diarrhea. Usually the littles are so distracted here that teething is not problematic for me. I tell parents that they usually don't need meds here, but if they give them in a.m. just to let me know, and I can give meds here if need be. It has come back to bite me in the rear a time or two, but I don't expect DCPs to keep kids home every time they are cranky in the morning - they'd get fired! They are happy and playing once they get to my house. Sorry they have to be such turds for mom and dad! It's just the way I do things.
TwinKristi 11:34 AM 03-03-2014
I don't have a no med policy and if meds are used to cover up a fever and illness then I view that differently then treating pain from teething. Using teething as am excuse is crappy though. If baby is truly teething and miserable (which I can usually tell the difference) then I don't mind giving a dose of Motrin. I think it's incredibly cruel to not treat your child's pain because they're not able to tell you exactly why. Some babies teethe with no problem, a tooth just pops up one day. Other babies have a hard time sleeping, eating, run low grade fevers, diarrhea, etc. and it's hard to tell and I would probably exclude if a child was that miserable. I also appreciate parents telling me when they've given Motrin or Tylenol for teething. If they tell me it was for teething and then after 4-6hrs they get a moderate fever then obviously they doped & dropped. I had one mom who did that but she's gone now. She never voluntarily kept her child home in the 14 mos he was here. The other mom I have tells me when she gives him meds and why. If he's sick she's kept him home, a whole week (paid) more than once in the year he's been here. The new DCG I have came once with Motrin in her bag "in case she got fussy" but never did. I've only treated with meds a couple times.
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:04 AM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I don't have a no med policy and if meds are used to cover up a fever and illness then I view that differently then treating pain from teething. Using teething as am excuse is crappy though. If baby is truly teething and miserable (which I can usually tell the difference) then I don't mind giving a dose of Motrin. I think it's incredibly cruel to not treat your child's pain because they're not able to tell you exactly why. Some babies teethe with no problem, a tooth just pops up one day. Other babies have a hard time sleeping, eating, run low grade fevers, diarrhea, etc. and it's hard to tell and I would probably exclude if a child was that miserable. I also appreciate parents telling me when they've given Motrin or Tylenol for teething. If they tell me it was for teething and then after 4-6hrs they get a moderate fever then obviously they doped & dropped. I had one mom who did that but she's gone now. She never voluntarily kept her child home in the 14 mos he was here. The other mom I have tells me when she gives him meds and why. If he's sick she's kept him home, a whole week (paid) more than once in the year he's been here. The new DCG I have came once with Motrin in her bag "in case she got fussy" but never did. I've only treated with meds a couple times.
Sounds like we have similar experiences in this dept. That's what I meant about it biting me in the rear-there has been just a half dozen times in 12 years where it ended up not to be teething, but a "dope/drug n drop." But, I have had parents thank me so many times that they don't get called for pick-ups unless it is an actual full-blown-no-question-if-the-kid-is-in-fact-sick-illness like some of their friends or family complain about at their daycares.
Cradle2crayons 12:35 PM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
totally agree. My daughter had bad teething pain. She didn't cut he first one until she was 9 months but they had been red and swollen and just horrible for MONTHS.

My son, I swear he just kept waking up with teeth just WHAMMO. Never red, never cried, nothing.

I have no problem with medicating for teething although I'd rather do topical than oral but it is what it is.

I only ask that parents tell me what and when they gave whatever it was. Lots of asthma and allergies down here and it's very common for kids to be on allergy meds, decongestants, breathing treatments heck you name it.

But I do understand that everyone has to do what works best for them though.
Tags:24/48, dope and drop, exclusion, infectious teething, medicine, medicine - drops
Reply Up