Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When to Document?
daycare 04:59 PM 06-25-2012
Today 3 out of 6 of my DCK cam to DC with some kind of bruise or scrape that happened over the weekend. Now we are not talking small, we are talking one with a black eye, one with the chin split open; had to get stitches and the last one with several scrapes, bruises and bumps.

All of these kids are able to tell me what happened, as they are 4 and 5 years old.

Also, all of the parents informed me of what happened at drop off. I believe all of them

Do I need to document these things? Usually I only do it, if it is something that the child cannot tell me what happened or if I feel that I am unsure of the story at to why the child got hurt.
Kiki 05:04 PM 06-25-2012
Personally, I only document things that happen in my home. However, once I get licensed I might change that, you never know with some people... I'll be watching this thread to see other responses. (Sorry I couldn't help!)
daycare 07:18 PM 06-25-2012
I would just hate it if there was something going on at home and then it gets turned on me. It happened to one of my friends that does DC in Southern Cali.

The kid was sent to DC with a bite on the arm, she did nothing about it. The DCP told her that her niece did it. Well time goes on and it becomes a repeat and on going issue. Kid keeps coming to DC with a bite on his arm. My friend never documents it, but tells the DCM that she needs to put a stop to it, as she is endangering her son's safety by continuing to subject him to the bitter. Next thing you know, CPS is on her front porch. The DCParent flipped it on her and my friend had to go through a 6 month investigation...She said it was pure you know what....

This is why I was wondering if I should document the accidents that occurred out of my home.
Sunchimes 07:31 PM 06-25-2012
I would say document, just for your own piece of mind. I wouldn't necessarily put it in their file, but maybe in your own personal records, just in case. I haven't had any worries in that department, but when either of mine come in with a bruise or scrape, I take a picture and make a note. The few times I've done it, I wasn't really concerned about the story-they were learning to walk and the bumps or bruises were easy to explain. But I decided early on, why not document? It takes just a minute or two, and I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Springdaze 09:01 AM 06-26-2012
I was always told also to make sure you acknowledge it in front of the parent "oh, barney, what happened sweetheart!?" that way you know the parents know you know it didnt happen at your house.
daycare 09:20 AM 06-26-2012
what about those that have other care takers....
I have two families that the children are with other care takers throughout their day/week.

Maybe I should just adopt the rule that if it needs an explanation from either the parent or I, it needs to be documented.?????
MizzCheryl 09:59 AM 06-26-2012
My consultant tells me to document everything. Trouble with parents, accidents, anything. She says that documentation is just for our protection and you would be the only one to see it unless something happened. There is probably no need to document BUT..... If you are even thinking about it I would take 5 minutes and document it.
I f a parent says something out of line or a child has a bad behavior day I document it.
My consultant once told me about a daycare that shut down from alligations that there was abuse that the parent claimed happened over a year earlier. An Xemployee ran into the parents at walmart and told them some thing that had supposedly happened to their child at the center. She told me that if there had been documentation to back the providers stories the center would have been found in the right and would have been allowed to continue operating.
SunshineMama 10:45 AM 06-26-2012
If you are asking if you should document, that's a sign that you should. I always send a quick email to myself to prove a date stamp, and then save the email in a folder online I created for my dcks. It takes less than 5 minutes.
SilverSabre25 10:48 AM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
If you are asking if you should document, that's a sign that you should. I always send a quick email to myself to prove a date stamp, and then save the email in a folder online I created for my dcks. It takes less than 5 minutes.
THAT is an awesome idea!! If you need a pic and have a smartphone you could take a pic and email it to yourself, too.
daycare 10:55 AM 06-26-2012
FYI emailes will not stand up in court.

I do use MMK and it is a great way to track my kids documents.
Mom&Provider 11:02 AM 06-26-2012
If it's made you take a 2nd look, document it. It only takes a few minutes for your to write/type it down somewhere. I also like the other idea to say something in front of the parent...like "oh my Timmy, what do did you do here!?"
SilverSabre25 11:29 AM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
FYI emailes will not stand up in court.

I do use MMK and it is a great way to track my kids documents.
Why? I'm honestly curious; I know that people often say text messages serve as a paper trail, as well as emails...so why not in this case?
daycare 11:45 AM 06-26-2012
I was told
this by my attorney. He said it depends on the type of case and if the judge will allow it.

My judge did not allow for it in my divorce and custody case
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 06-26-2012
I was told
this by my attorney. He said it depends on the type of case and if the judge will allow it.

My judge did not allow for it in my divorce and custody case
A couple years ago I was stuck in the middle of a case where a few daycare kids were being rmoved from their mother's custody.

ALL of my e-mails to CPS, my licensor, the father, the grandmother and to the guardian ad Litem as well as the e-mails back and forth between the mother and I were included as documentation for court. The information I provided was detrimental in having these children removed from an unhealthy situation.

I would honestly assume that each case would have different guidelines or the judge will decide on an individual basis on whether or not to include e-mails as valid proof of something.

I also had a concillation case a couple years back that was won because of the proof (e-mails from parent) I submitted.

Personally, I would still e-mail myself as Sunshine Mama said. Documentation is documentation either way in my book. I shouldnt think it would matter if it was hand written or written on the computer.
daycare 12:24 PM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
A couple years ago I was stuck in the middle of a case where a few daycare kids were being rmoved from their mother's custody.

ALL of my e-mails to CPS, my licensor, the father, the grandmother and to the guardian ad Litem as well as the e-mails back and forth between the mother and I were included as documentation for court. The information I provided was detrimental in having these children removed from an unhealthy situation.

I would honestly assume that each case would have different guidelines or the judge will decide on an individual basis on whether or not to include e-mails as valid proof of something.

I also had a concillation case a couple years back that was won because of the proof (e-mails from parent) I submitted.

Personally, I would still e-mail myself as Sunshine Mama said. Documentation is documentation either way in my book. I shouldnt think it would matter if it was hand written or written on the computer.
Im not saying dont do what sunshine mama said to do, I am just sharing information with you that I was told by my attorney while going through court. Our judge did not allow for them to be used as proof. I guess in this case if you are sending them to yourself, it really wouldnt matter....
Blackcat31 12:43 PM 06-26-2012
Im not saying dont do what sunshine mama said to do, I am just sharing information with you that I was told by my attorney while going through court. Our judge did not allow for them to be used as proof. I guess in this case if you are sending them to yourself, it really wouldnt matter....
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I was disagreeing with you, I was more or less just answering Silver and adding my two cents.

I know there are probably a million different reasons why some judges allow e-mails and some don't. I am sorry that the judge didn't allow them in your case.

and yeah, I can completely see how if you are sending e-mails to yourself just for the time and date stamp, it shouldn't make a difference at all.
daycare 12:50 PM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I was disagreeing with you, I was more or less just answering Silver and adding my two cents.

I know there are probably a million different reasons why some judges allow e-mails and some don't. I am sorry that the judge didn't allow them in your case.

and yeah, I can completely see how if you are sending e-mails to yourself just for the time and date stamp, it shouldn't make a difference at all.
no worries at all....the funny part was that they were actually FOR my ex, not against him. It had to do with him paying child support, which he did, but there was no paper trail of it other than the emails we exchanged regarding the proof. <y ex was court ordered to pay me back pay and to start paying me by check or through the courts. My ex gave me a check for the money (again), I cashed it and gave it back to him....lol
Tags:documentation, injury report
Reply Up