Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Here (:
nsnavely 07:14 AM 03-23-2013
Hello (: I have been an FCC provider for the military since 2002..before that I worked 2 years in a daycare center in the infant/toddler area. We recently moved to Nebraska and live off base (we always lived on base) I wanted to get miltary licensed again here but was told since I live off base I have to get state lisenced as well..I only take 2 or 3 full time kids AT THE MOST anyways so I figured it would just be a pain to even get lisenced at all..I have 3 children of my own..My boys are schoo-laged and my daughter is 2 and stays home with me.. I just want to make some extra spending money and have some children for my daughter to play with during the day..It's different tho because I am used to the military advertising for me and now I am on my own! LOL I tried craiglsit and care.com, but it's only been like a week so we shall see what happens..Oh and my state says I can care for up to 3 children that are not related without being lisenced (: Anyways..Just wanted to say hi and see if anyone else is here in Nebraska or unlicensed like me?? Hope to hear from y'all soon!!
ksmith 07:50 AM 03-23-2013
Welcome! I too did FCC for the military. It seems like the rules for the military are much stricter than for a state. We are currently overseas now, so I can't do FCC, but am hoping to start once we come back. I'm also curious about how "normal" FCC homes go about advertising.
Blackcat31 09:07 AM 03-23-2013
Welcome to the forum!

Glad to see you figured out the log in stuff..
bubbiesmama807 09:57 AM 03-23-2013
Welcome, from a fellow "newbie"
TheGoodLife 12:31 PM 03-23-2013
What part of NE? I am in Omaha, and am also license exempt. (My three DDs are 3, 2, and 8 mos.) I use craigslist and Facebook to advertise. Good luck!!
Michael 04:00 PM 03-23-2013
Welcome!
nsnavely 06:21 AM 03-24-2013
I am in Papillion (: Not too far! Do u get a lot of clients that way? I applied for a few jobs on care.com also..Hope to fill 2 spots here soon! Since u are un-licensed, do u still provide the children's meals or do you have the parents provide them? I have always been on the USDA program, so I was considering having the parents provide them this time around..not sure tho...Thanx for all the warm welcomes!! Looking forward to getting to know you all (:
TheGoodLife 09:21 AM 03-24-2013
I do everything the same as licensed, I am just exempt due to small numbers. I provide all meals and snacks. Do you like care.com? I haven't decided if I want to do that or not- just lost my once a week boy and his sibling (whom I was holding a spot for since October for the end of a metenity leave) when the mom decided to stay home so I have 1-2 spots to fill.
melilley 09:48 AM 03-24-2013
Hi! I'm not from Nebraska, but I wanted to say Welcome! I just opened my FCC at the end of January and I now only have one spot open! I advertised on Craigslist and that is where all my families found me. It took about a month, but it seemed like when one came, they all came! I have also gotten a lot of calls for spots, but I had to turn them away because of the age of the children. Here you can only have a 4 under 30 months and 2 of the 4 can only be 18 months and under and that's what people seem to need care for the most. I do have a waiting list for babies for the summer (one family that I have may leave then). Sorry to go on and on! Anyways, CL has worked for me!
I wanted to advertise on Care.com, but you have to put in a minimum amount of pay per hour and it can't be under a certain amount and i don't charge that much per hour so I couldn't do it there. Maybe I was doing it wrong.?

nsnavely 10:12 AM 03-24-2013
I've only been on Care.com for about a week..so I haven't gotten any calls yet..I hope I get them soon tho! I haven't been up and running since the last week in Jan since we moved here from Washington State..I am anxious to get back to work and make that spending money! I plan on doing everything as if I would if I was licensed, just unsure about the meals yet...
auntie_em 08:53 PM 03-25-2013
Welcome. I live in Lincoln. I just recently got licensed, didn't really want to but two of my part-timers starting coming at the same time. I have got almost all my children from networking, friends of friends etc. I also put an ad in my church's newsletters and the newspaper. I wouldn't suggest the newspaper unless you are really desperate got a lot of angry/mean calls when I got full.
Michael 09:25 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by auntie_em:
Welcome. I live in Lincoln. I just recently got licensed, didn't really want to but two of my part-timers starting coming at the same time. I have got almost all my children from networking, friends of friends etc. I also put an ad in my church's newsletters and the newspaper. I wouldn't suggest the newspaper unless you are really desperate got a lot of angry/mean calls when I got full.
Welcome to the forum.
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:14 AM 09-10-2013
I'm in Omaha, too. The ABSOLUTE BEST advertising for this area is omaha-childcare.com. It's $25/yr (I think) and I get tons of contacts from this. It really is totally worth the money, and 2nd best only to NDHHS's website if you get licensed. I haven't even needed to advertise outside of it in years, although I've had success with CL in the past.
MotherNature 11:40 AM 09-10-2013
Hello! Welcome to the forum. It's a really handy font of info.
Tags:military, nebraska, nebraska member
Reply Up