Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Preventing SIDS
Sprouts 11:00 PM 09-18-2011
I just started daycare recently and my enrolee was a 4 month old, after reading a post on here a while ago about SIDS I decided to have a baby movement moniter in every pack and play for any baby. I saw how expensive they are so as part of the registration its mandatory the parents pay for moniter. You can find it on Amazon in the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...fix=angel+care

You also have to get a 1/4" hardboard to go beneath the pack n play mattress which you can buy at any lumber store for about $5.

I hope this helps on the prevention of babies dying from SIDS. This obviously wont prevent SIDS but this will allow a caretaker or parent to act faster before brain death occurs.
KEG123 08:14 AM 09-19-2011
That is a pretty interesting idea. How did the parents react at having to pay an extra $100 for the monitor? How long will you use it for?
Sprouts 08:42 AM 09-19-2011
Well I explianed to them the seriousness of SIDS, and how we can prevent it, and they had no problem at all. If any parent gives a hard time to pay for this, then how much do they actually care for their child, its really life or death and I dont think any parent would object. They know I have their child's best interest in mind, plus they can take it with them when child leaves if they have more children or they can donate it to daycare.
Sprouts 08:44 AM 09-19-2011
After reading the very sad post from yesterday also made me want to write this because I think ALL providers, centers and home should incorporate this, especially the ones afraid to take infants for this particular reason.
Cat Herder 08:59 AM 09-19-2011
If it was not already proven to have no impact on reducing loss of life I would.

There have been many studies on this and unless the child already has known risk factors or is from a SIDS family (mostly palliative), there have been no scientific "saves".
GotKids 09:05 AM 09-19-2011
Having a child of my own who was on a SIDS watch and apnea monitor I understand your concerns. I have looked at these machines in the past but you have to be careful, they are not fail proof or a guarantee that will catch the episode. Also look into the guidelines set by your state and the manufacturer of the pack and plays you use. I just purchased 6 new ones and they have a large warning label warning about adding a mattress or modifications. I don't know about your inspector but mine would write me up in a heartbeat for ignoring that.

Above relying on monitors the best method of preventing sids is a safe sleep environment and direct supervision. I have my children in the same room as me for naps and I know some states mandate children not be out of sight even during sleep. Sids is scary and I think it is every parent's and provider's worst nightmare. Just be leery of relying on any gadget to replace a careful eye and frequent checks.
Sprouts 11:44 AM 09-19-2011
I totally agree and would def. not totally rely on the moniter to let me know whether the child is okay or not, but I do have the children in a separate room for sleep, I do constantly moniter and check in on them visually.

The moniter is also great because it comes with the parent unit which goes right on your belt and every time the baby breathes it makes a light beep sound so as I am working with other children I can hear each breath of the baby, I think this is an added benefit and less stressful then having the babies in the same room which even though someone is constantly monitering them if they stoped breathing for even 3 minutes brain death can occur and you wouldnt even know.

And with the moniter if no movement occurs for 10/20 seconds it beeps loudly once to stir the baby and another 10 seconds if no movement occurs an alarm goes off.

So if a child care agency that is supposed to protect children doesn't allow providers to use this then I think they are rediculous and crazy.
Sprouts 11:53 AM 09-19-2011
This is what a parent wrote on the reviews of the moniter....

"When our son was about three months old, the alarm went off at 2:00 AM. My husband and I rushed to our baby and found that he was limp and wasn't breathing, even with the alarm blaring next to him. Terrified, I put my hand on his chest and jostled him a little, and he started to breath again. (Thank goodness we didn't have to resort to CPR.) After that our pediatrician monitored our son for a 24-hour period and diagnosed him with reflux apnea. (He did - and still does - have a real problem with reflux.) Needless to say, I can't say enough good things about this product. Thank you, Anglecare/BebeSounds for saving our precious baby!"

Even though wasn't SIDS its still a releif to have. I am not trying to sell this product by the way, I just thought it was a good idea to have.

And the cords go under the pack n play theres a hole by the wheels which allows you to pull the wire through.

The woodboard also keeps the pack n plays more firm rather then the way they usually bend and move around which in my opinion seems to be more unsafe....but just my opinion
Christian Mother 02:02 PM 09-19-2011
I want one!! Although I am not sure if I can convince the parents to buy one. I had there first child at 2 1/2 months and he didn't have one then or problems but I am paranoid. I had a little girl 2 1/2 a couple of wks ago and she was wonderful too...but, I am scared this could happen and I want to take every precaution!!
Unregistered 05:40 PM 09-20-2011
Well, I dont want to be a naysayer or anything but Im not totally sold on the idea that a monitor will help save an infant in that situation. I think they are praying on parents fears and insecurities. In a way its like having a burglar alarm, it makes the resident feel better.
I took a class on the prevention of SIDS and as far as I know theres no 100% guarantee that it will "save" a child and I would caution anyone to heed the warnings on the product.
If the parents are willing to fork over the dough then I think thats great.
Im not trying to minimize the fear of SIDS but we cant live in fear either.JMO!
Tags:movement moniter sids, sids, sids prevention
Reply Up