Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Winter Bus Stop Walks with Littles
SilverSabre25 06:27 PM 01-05-2013
The bus stop walks aren't an option, please dont' say anything about "quit doing it" or "that's a bad idea" or anything about the very fact that we walk to the bus twice a day.

In good weather it's about a five minute walk, and I put my toddler and my little one (8 months) in the double stroller. And of course, we walk there and back, there and back, so it's really like 4 trips a day.

Well, now there's snow on the ground and about half the distance between home and the bus stop, people haven't shoveled the sidewalk and it takes us twice as long. The stroller slides and twists all over, and it is SO hard to shove through. So I'm looking for an alternative for the rest of the winter, at least as much as we have snow on the ground. Do you think that two of these would work? Each kid in one and I pull them both?

http://www.amazon.com/Paricon-625-To.../dp/B000LF8XSU
cheerfuldom 07:00 PM 01-05-2013
Is it an option to wear one in a carrier and then push just a single stroller? One quality single stroller (something with bigger wheels!) would be easier than a double for sure. As for a carrier, I would suggest a good quality back carrier like an Ergo. I am very small and not very strong and even I can easily handle a one year old on my back. Its surprising how well a good quality carrier can distribute that weight. I actually find that easier than pushing a stroller and its not hard to get a kiddo on your back once you get the hang of it

and this whole scenario is why I have chosen not to take school agers (plus they dont nap!). the bus comes about 3 blocks from my house but I would have the same issue....snow and little kids. this winter I have my newborn so now I am really glad to not do this walk!
SilverSabre25 07:24 PM 01-05-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Is it an option to wear one in a carrier and then push just a single stroller? One quality single stroller (something with bigger wheels!) would be easier than a double for sure. As for a carrier, I would suggest a good quality back carrier like an Ergo. I am very small and not very strong and even I can easily handle a one year old on my back. Its surprising how well a good quality carrier can distribute that weight. I actually find that easier than pushing a stroller and its not hard to get a kiddo on your back once you get the hang of it

and this whole scenario is why I have chosen not to take school agers (plus they dont nap!). the bus comes about 3 blocks from my house but I would have the same issue....snow and little kids. this winter I have my newborn so now I am really glad to not do this walk!
It's an option though I'm concerned about the possibility of falling with someone in a carrier.

The bus stop run is for my own kindergartener
daycaremom76 09:24 PM 01-05-2013
I don't know how your school system works but before I opened my daycare our bus stop used to be at the top of the street maybe about 10 houses up the street and that's where my kids caught the bus. Once I opened my daycare I contacted the county which put me in touch with the bus company and I explained to them that I had a daycare and it was unsafe for me to pack all the kids up each day and lug them up to the bus stop. They told me "No problem" and just added an additional bus stop on our street right at my house! Maybe it wouldn't hurt to try and give them a call.
kitkat 09:36 PM 01-05-2013
I love my wagon in the snow! It pulls really well. If the 8mo old is still in an infant carrier, you might be able to make that fit in a wagon if your wagon doesn't have seat belts. Since I only have 1 in the stroller right now, I just use my 3 wheeled Jeep stroller. When I get to tricky stuff, I just pull it thru backwards. I think the sleds would work fine. Might want to shorten the rope on one so when you pull both, then they are staggered behind you and not right next to each other. If you don't have to cross any streets, I think it would be fine. I have 2 streets to cross, so I prefer something higher up off the ground.
SilverSabre25 09:36 PM 01-05-2013
Originally Posted by daycaremom76:
I don't know how your school system works but before I opened my daycare our bus stop used to be at the top of the street maybe about 10 houses up the street and that's where my kids caught the bus. Once I opened my daycare I contacted the county which put me in touch with the bus company and I explained to them that I had a daycare and it was unsafe for me to pack all the kids up each day and lug them up to the bus stop. They told me "No problem" and just added an additional bus stop on our street right at my house! Maybe it wouldn't hurt to try and give them a call.
I tried at the beginning of the year. Last year the bus stop was RIGHT outside my house and I didn't even have any kids going!! but this year, due to budget cuts, they don't go into any neighborhoods at all. ALL the bus stops are out at the big intersections. They haven't budged on it despite a ton of parent outcry.
Meyou 02:42 AM 01-06-2013
I do alot of winter walking (in all weather) and I have found a sturdy wagon is always easier to pull compared to pushing anything. I have one now with 10" tires but I used a little tykes 3 seater for years before I got the new one.

It will roll on the bare sidewalk and worst case scenario it will slide on the snowy bits.
countrymom 04:40 AM 01-06-2013
I suggest the wagon too. The problem with the sled is the when you hit the clean side walk areas the sled will not glide and it will be hard to drag a child on the bare concrete.

also, can you find a older student to walk your child home at least.
kitykids3 07:05 AM 01-06-2013
I like the wagon idea too. I think it would be easier.

Also, I don't know about where you live, but here, if there are houses that have not removed the snow/ice w/in 24 hours you can call the city. They come out and do it (and charge the property owner if they don't), so maybe that might kick it in their butt if they are the type that just leave the stuff there for days.
SquirrellyMama 07:22 AM 01-06-2013
I would also go with the wagon and calling the city about lax snow removal.

K
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 01-06-2013
I have these little skis that fit onto a wagon instead of the wheels. We keep our wagon out year round and simply change out the wheels and skis for the appropriate season.

They pull SUPER easy and I can get 3 little ones in the wagon at a time without fear of them falling out or being uncomfortable.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66700
SilverSabre25 10:03 AM 01-06-2013
Wagon is a great idea...we have one of those! Those skis are super cute too.

I don't know if our city does anything about peopel shoveling sidewalks...do cities do stuff about it?!

I actually realized that the sleds are impractical anyway because some of the sidewalk (and usually the street) are pretty clear. I'll try the wagon, though, thanks!

(and those wagon skis are super cute, lol)
LK5kids 10:35 AM 01-06-2013
A wagon is a great idea! While I don't go to the bus stop I'd like to get some walks in. Our city requires people to keep sidewalks clear or a fine is issued.
Tags:stroller, wagons
Reply Up