Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New In-home Daycare - Advice Pls!
Mariana 12:14 PM 09-25-2019
Hello all,
I’m new in the business, opened about 6 months and it’s been a bit hard to get clients, finally it looks they are coming! At the moment I have 3 plus my daughter, in WA you can have first year up to 6 kids.
I already have learned some things (hard moms, baby who cries a LOT, etc) but I would really appreciate any advice, red flags, experiences, how to bring more clients, etc.
Hope you are having a good Wednesday!!!!
jenboo 01:14 PM 09-25-2019
I learned this from the group:

When a parent asks for something, say "I'll get back to you on that". That way you have time to think about it and you aren't put on the spot.
knoxmomof2 02:15 PM 09-25-2019
There's so much it would be impossible to put it all here. Just read through the posts as you have time.

Most important: protecting your time and money! Make it clear at interviews what your policies / expectations are in regards to schedule and their respect for your time and have a payment policy that ensures you are paid before services are offered. I do electronic payment or cash only (everyone now is electronic payment). It's due Sunday night by 9 PM. I only keep up to 4, so I will send a reminder text if I'm not paid by then but they know from the interview that if they show up Monday morning and payment hasn't been received, their child can't stay until I'm paid. No exceptions. I've never had to do that since I started doing things this way.

Good luck to you!
Cat Herder 02:32 PM 09-25-2019
Read threads, follow tags. You will notice the patterns on the most common issues and pitfalls.

Welcome!
Ms.Kay 06:13 AM 09-26-2019
I wish there was a place like this when I started!!! Great advice....a load if info....and a safe place to vent!!!😜 welcome!!
littlefriends 03:15 PM 09-26-2019
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
I wish there was a place like this when I started!!! Great advice....a load if info....and a safe place to vent!!!😜 welcome!!
This!
Read everything you can on here; it’s super helpful!
TaylorTots 08:12 PM 09-26-2019
Never be afraid to stand up for yourself.

When I came to this site I was new to daycare as well. I read all (including the old old ones) of Blackcat and Nannyde's posts. They gave me confidence and were amazing online mentors without even realizing it.
Snowmom 06:17 AM 09-27-2019
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
Never be afraid to stand up for yourself.

When I came to this site I was new to daycare as well. I read all (including the old old ones) of Blackcat and Nannyde's posts. They gave me confidence and were amazing online mentors without even realizing it.

Meeko 07:12 AM 09-27-2019
First and foremost...you are NOT their employee.

I spent waaay too much time as a "newbie", trying to change and bend and please my clients.

Life got so much better when I learned that the only person in charge of my business...is me.

Interviews used to be the parent telling me what they wanted and telling me they would start Monday.

Now, interviews are me telling them I will be interviewing many and I will let them know if I decide to take their child.
Tags:classroom management, contract - clear, enforcing policies - consistency, illness policy - samples, new member, parent- it's a verb, rates, training courses, working with family
Reply Up