Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap time
williams2008 12:21 PM 03-14-2013
My dcks have gotten to where they do not nap long. I guess they are growing out of taking naps, there goes my study time

Do any of you have any dcks that do not nap, or wake up before naptime is over? If so what do you allow them to do?
bluemoose_mom 12:37 PM 03-14-2013
I do, but it's my own child who is 3 and a half. She usually sleeps till 8:30 or 9 so she doesn't need a nap. I don't have the heart to wake her up, so I let her sleep.

She mostly does her own thing. I will do table activities (or whatever she wants, usually table stuff) with her for about 30 minutes, but other than that she plays in her room, or out in the living room. If she can't be quiet, she has to play in her room. She watches TV as well, since I don't do any TV during the day otherwise. She will help me make snack or help me clean if she's in the mood. When I opened my daycare a year ago, I set the precedent that she entertains herself (mostly) during nap. If I had older daycare kids, I would follow the same pattern, with a little less TV (but not by much). This is my relax, and administration part of this job time, and I need it.
Blackcat31 12:45 PM 03-14-2013
I have a mix of non-sleepers, sleepers and early wakers.

I use audio books. I play them the entire rest period. If any of them are awake the whole time, part of the time or before rest time is over, they can listen to a story on CD. Keeps them occupied and quiet.
Texasjeepgirl 12:48 PM 03-14-2013
My granddaughter~~~!!!
DRIVING ME OUT OF MY MIND...
she is so stinking cute...BUT...
she has gotten to the point that she only naps about 2 days a week..
the rest of the time.. she gets up off her cot.. tiptoes over to my chair.. smiles...
I send her back.. A MILLION TIMES...
I start out nice.. then I get stern..
all the other kids see her..
they tell me..
TAMMY.. look at ADDY...
meaning..
Addy is up..
She is awake now.. as I type this...
THAT girl is WEARING ME DOWN...

williams2008 12:52 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by bluemoose_mom:
I do, but it's my own child who is 3 and a half. She usually sleeps till 8:30 or 9 so she doesn't need a nap. I don't have the heart to wake her up, so I let her sleep.

She mostly does her own thing. I will do table activities (or whatever she wants, usually table stuff) with her for about 30 minutes, but other than that she plays in her room, or out in the living room. If she can't be quiet, she has to play in her room. She watches TV as well, since I don't do any TV during the day otherwise. She will help me make snack or help me clean if she's in the mood. When I opened my daycare a year ago, I set the precedent that she entertains herself (mostly) during nap. If I had older daycare kids, I would follow the same pattern, with a little less TV (but not by much). This is my relax, and administration part of this job time, and I need it.
I use this time to relax, surf the web, but now I'm taking classes I was using it as study time.
Country Kids 12:56 PM 03-14-2013
This is why I moved our outdoor time to after nap. The ones that were asleep by 1:00, were awake by two and the rest were just started to doze off. So now we all lay down by 2:00 (everyone crashes) and then up by 3:00.
williams2008 12:58 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a mix of non-sleepers, sleepers and early wakers.

I use audio books. I paly them the entire rest period. If any of them are awake the whole time, part of the time or before rest time is over, they can listen to a story on CD. Keeps them occupied and quiet.
I play some soft music during nap time.I think I will try the audio books, maybe they will enjoy listening to a story. As soon as they wake up they are getting up off their mats, I have a 3 year old that thinks just because he is up he is suppose to wake everyone else up
Blackcat31 01:01 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by williams2008:
I play some soft music during nap time.I think I will try the audio books, maybe they will enjoy listening to a story. As soon as they wake up they are getting up off their mats, I have a 3 year old that thinks just because he is up he is suppose to wake everyone else up
I also teach mine that they must be "invited" to get off their mats and get up.

That way they stay put until I tell them otherwise.
williams2008 01:03 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl:
My granddaughter~~~!!!
DRIVING ME OUT OF MY MIND...
she is so stinking cute...BUT...
she has gotten to the point that she only naps about 2 days a week..
the rest of the time.. she gets up off her cot.. tiptoes over to my chair.. smiles...
I send her back.. A MILLION TIMES...
I start out nice.. then I get stern..
all the other kids see her..
they tell me..
TAMMY.. look at ADDY...
meaning..
Addy is up..
She is awake now.. as I type this...
THAT girl is WEARING ME DOWN...
I have a 3 year old and her mom have here hair combed so cute, but she has entirely to many barrettes on that childs head and that is all I hear the entire nap time because she will not be still. It drives me crazy
Reply Up