Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So I Have Been Thinking Of Giving
cherryhill 01:32 PM 11-02-2010
parents 3-4 days a year that they do not have to pay. I would also like to have 3-4 personal unpaid days also. I am hoping this will keep the sick kids home. Does anyone else offer this? If so how do you word this in your contract. Right now I take a week of unpaid vacation but pretty much take every holiday off paid including Christmas eve and New years eve

I am also re doing my sick policy can anyone share, mine is pretty vague.

thanks
Teffany
MARSTELAC 03:34 PM 11-02-2010
I do have "freebie days". My contract for 2011 is changing to 10 freebie days per year for my full-time families and 6 freebie days per year for my part-time families. I will take 5 paid vacation days and 5 unpaid vacation days and up to 3 unpaid personal days. In addition, I will take off 6 holidays (new years, memorial, july 4, labor, t-giving, x-mas) and if those fall on a weekend I take the friday before or monday after paid. I have a detailed illness policy that I can cut and paste and put on here but not till tomorrow. Gotta run....
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 11-03-2010
I give 10 free days to each child per year. They can use them for sickness or personal days or whatever they want. I do NOT charge for the holidays I am closed but I do take 2 vacations (1 week in summer and 1 week at Christmas) that I charge for. My families pay for whatever days they contracted for regardless of whether they are here or not. They can choose to use a "free" day whenever they want. 10 seems to be the # of days that everyone averages so it seems to work well here.
Blackcat31 06:43 AM 11-03-2010
Here's my illness/sick policy. I cut and paste so hopefully it is readable. I do take the time to look at each case individually, but for the most part we follow this agreement.

Illness Policy
PARENTS AGREE TO KEEP THEIR CHILD/CHILDREN HOME OR SEEK ALTERNATE CARE ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS;
• Fever (100 F or higher)
• Sore throat or trouble swallowing
• Nausea or vomiting (within last 24 hrs)
• Unexplained or contagious rash
• Green/yellow nasal discharge for more than 3 days (Dr’s note required)
• Diarrhea, loose stool, or abdominal cramps (within last 24 hrs)
• Child is not well enough to participate in normal daily activities
• Headache or any unexplained pain or undiagnosed injury
IF A CHILD BECOMES ILL DURING THE DAY PARENTS ARE REQUIRED TO PICK UP THEIR CHILD IMMEDIATELY.
Parents will inform the childcare within 24 hours of a diagnosis of any serious illness or contagious disease of a communicable nature in the family. Parents also agree that the child will be symptom free, WITHOUT the aid of symptom reducing medications (i.e. Tylenol, Ibuprofen, cold remedies etc.) for a FULL 24 hours prior to returning to daycare. I reserve the right to require a doctor’s note depending on the illness/disease.
MEDICATIONS;
Prescription medications will only be given to a child in care with the following conditions; . OVER-THE-COUNTER COLD MEDICATIONS WILL NEVER BE GIVEN TO A CHILD UNDER 6 UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!
• *Parent MUST give written permission with FULL instructions as to dosage and times to administer medication.
• ALL prescription medication must be in original container with child’s name.
• Non-prescription medication will be administered per recommended dosages on container
CARE OF A SICK CHILD AND PARENT NOTIFICATION
When a child becomes ill, I will make the child comfortable in a quiet place where he/she can rest while waiting to be picked up.
Parents will be notified immediately and agree to begin making alternate work arrangements or arrangements for alternate care. If your child is seriously ill, you or your back up must come for the child IMMEDIATELY. If I cannot reach a parent, I will call an emergency contact listed on the child’s registration form.

PLEASE SIGN AND DATE AND RETURN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have read and agree to the illness and exclusion policies outlined above. I agree to have my child picked up from care immediately by myself or an emergency contact person if called to do so. I agree not to send my child to care if he/she suffers from any of the listed symptoms. I also agree to provide a doctors slip when asked in order to return to care. I will use my best judgment on whether or not my child should attend childcare in order to keep illness/disease spread to a minimum.
cherryhill 09:51 AM 11-03-2010
thanks blackcat. This is really helpful. Do you guess usually call the days with no pay freebie days in your contract?
cherryhill 09:55 AM 11-03-2010
How do you keep track of the free days so that the parent doesn't claim they have less than they really do?
Blackcat31 11:17 AM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by cherryhill:
How do you keep track of the free days so that the parent doesn't claim they have less than they really do?
I have a full sheet of paper (one per child) that I keep in a 3 ring binder. On the sheet is the child's name and six blank spots. Each time they use a free day they sign and date the space. That way they filled it out and there is no arguments about keeping track.

Contract Start Date_______________
Child(ren)s Name______________________________
Drop off time Pick up Time
Monday_______________ to______________
Tuesday________________to______________
Wednesday_____________to______________
Thursday_______________to______________
Friday__________________to______________

Parent Signature_______________________________

*You will be billed for ALL contracted. Credit will be given to each child for any absent/sick days (max. 6 days)
1_______2_______3______4______5______6_____
PI______PI______PI______PI______PI_____PI_____

I have the parent put the date on the lines 1-6 for each free day and they have to initial below by each spot labeled PI for parent initial. They have to do this before I adjust their bill. I have had no discrepancies so I think this works well. It is by the sign in sheet so parents have access to it at all times. I also keep a duplicate form in each child's folder and they do the same with that form too so one is out and available and one is kept filed. This is my old form...I now give 10 free days instead of only six.
MARSTELAC 11:22 AM 11-03-2010
I never thought they might dispute it. Good idea. I do use MMK for billing and in the "Notes" section on each weekly bill I type in the remaining number of freebie days for the year and if any were used that week then I put that down along with the date. I have been doing that since Jan 2008 with no issues. I do like the log book idea though but I just started using sign-in/sign-out and I have some parents who refuse and the rest think I have too many rules and complain about it every day.
Blackcat31 07:28 AM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
I never thought they might dispute it. Good idea. I do use MMK for billing and in the "Notes" section on each weekly bill I type in the remaining number of freebie days for the year and if any were used that week then I put that down along with the date. I have been doing that since Jan 2008 with no issues. I do like the log book idea though but I just started using sign-in/sign-out and I have some parents who refuse and the rest think I have too many rules and complain about it every day.
You actually have parents who refuse to sign in and/or out? Do you charge hourly or by the day? I was told I should be keping a sign in/sign out sheet for ALL families who receive CCAP (Child Care Assistance Program) so since I can't treat anyone differently b/c of how they pay, I have ALL parents sign in/out. If you charge by the hour and they don't sign in or out charge til closing time. If they want to be charged correctly then I'd surely be signingin and out. If you charge by the day, maybe add a $5 per week INconvenience fee for having to figure out their in and out times?? That is horrible that you have parent swho blantantly disregard your rules and policies. I hate when they complain about every little thing! Imagine if they acted that way to their bosses!?!? I have this little sheet of things I want parents to know that I put in their cubbies/notes home once a year....I will copy and paste it here so you can see if it'll "help" your parents understand where we as providers are coming from...it is a full page, so I will make a separate post.
Blackcat31 07:28 AM 11-04-2010
Childcare Tidbits

I really do know your children.
*I can tell when they are sick or not feeling well.
*I can tell when they go to bed early or were up late.
*I can tell if they’ve had Tylenol or Motrin before they’ve arrived.
*I can tell if your child has not been bathed…in awhile
Your child talks to me during the day.
They tell me where they have gone and where they are going to go.
They tell me how they are disciplined (or not).
They tell me EVERYTHING that is said at home……(and I do mean everything!)
They repeat the things you say about others.
Your child’s behavior is NOT a reflection of your parenting skills….…how you handle the misbehavior is.

Teach your child to be responsible for their actions, not make excuses.
Teach your child to be truthful.
Teach your child to be respectful of others. (the person, their belongings, their feelings etc)
I expect your child to act their age……you should too.
I can tell if you are enforcing or following up on notes and letters home, curriculum etc.

Taking care of your child during business hours is my job………
*I expect a paycheck at the end of the week.
Please don’t ask for discounts unless you are okay with “discounted” care. (I do not provide half-meals, half-naps or half-diaper changes)
If you expect me to bend the rules or do more than my policies outline, I will expect extra pay as well.
Your child comes in contact with more contagious germs at Wal-mart than they do at daycare.
Teaching your child to use the toilet is YOUR responsibility, I will assist you in your efforts, but you must begin, continue and complete the process.
I am not a teenager; I have a formal education and am more than a nanny.
When your child is sick, keep them home. It is tough caring for a sick child and bringing them to daycare just spreads the illness as well as adding a ton more work for me on top of the 10 other healthy children I am caring for already.
Be respectful when dropping off or picking up. Kids are rowdier and more mischievous when parents are present. Getting kids in and out the door in a timely manner reduces havoc for me.
It is nice that you want to share your home life with me, but the truth is I don’t really need to know the really intimate details.
If every parent was 5 minutes late for pick up, I would have to stay more than an hour longer than expected.
You are not my only client; I am juggling more than 14 other people’s schedules for drop off, pick up, payments etc.
I will love your child as my own…please help me in helping you…we are in this together!!
Brookers 09:47 PM 11-05-2010
ON THE SIGN IN SHEET
I keep a sign in sheet for my records as well and Im soooo glad I did becuase my computer crashed and all my Quickbooks stuff crashed with it so I was able to go to my signin sheet and re-enter all my stuff.
MARSTELAC 11:04 AM 12-06-2010
I love this! I am going to "borrow" it and send it home in a newsletter just after the new year starts if you don't mind! Maybe some of it will actually sink in!
Tags:free, unpaid holiday
Reply Up