Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I Being Childish?
Core12 12:50 PM 04-27-2018
I started a new private group for my daycare families so everyone could enjoy the pics and to bring ppl together. All of the families (except one) are liking the pics and making comments, it makes me feel valued.
The family (mother) who views but Never likes any pics is my newest client...she has has only been here for two weeks. She has a two month old.
The first week, I sent her a text on Mon, Tues and Wed. Then, Thursday I did not. Thursday night, she says, “people work were asking for pics from my daycare”. I said, “oh, so sorry I forgot!” Then sent 3 the next day and a couple a day thereafter. Only twice has she said, “thanks.”
Now, with the new group I created, I’m just annoyed.
She is only going to be here until September because then the daycare she really wanted to go to will have an opening.
I would love to say, “you never like the pics. However, she is close with my new sister n law who has a child the same age and I don’t know how this will be protrayed.
Also, yesterday, when she came for pick up, I think she may have been frustrated. I was outside watching 7 kids, her son was laying (happily) in the middle of the living room floor and my mother was handling my nephew (same age as her son) in my moms room. Generally, my mom is in the living room for pickup, but this was just a different situation.
Am I ridiculous for not wanting to text her anymore pics or post anymore of her son to the group?
HappyOwl 01:17 PM 04-27-2018
I understand how you feel. I have a FB page just for my daycare parents and I have one mom that never likes anything at all. Everyone else does and they all comment on them... but not this one mom. She also never responds when I text her pics either. I thought that on her sons first week at daycare especially, she would really want to see his pictures like all my other parents. Never a thank you for taking the time to text them or anything. When I asked her if she was getting the pics, she would just say yeah. I stopped sending them to her because she didn't seem to care when I did send them.

I was just thinking social media wasn't a big deal to her and she didn't have time for it, and thats totally fine. BUT she would take the time to snag the pic I posted of her child and share it on her wall without giving me any photo credit LOL... almost pretending that she was with him. Like she'll say "look at my little Timmy doing his arts & crafts. Hes so smart" People will comment what a great mom she is and I'm like WTH? That was here! When I would feel especially salty (hehehe) I would sometimes comment on the pic she snagged something like "ahhh little Timmy was having so much fun here doing arts & crafts with his friends here at the daycare" LOL It bothered me in the beginning but then I just decided she was just "different". I dont get it either though.
lovemykidstoo 01:26 PM 04-27-2018
Originally Posted by Core12:
I started a new private group for my daycare families so everyone could enjoy the pics and to bring ppl together. All of the families (except one) are liking the pics and making comments, it makes me feel valued.
The family (mother) who views but Never likes any pics is my newest client...she has has only been here for two weeks. She has a two month old.
The first week, I sent her a text on Mon, Tues and Wed. Then, Thursday I did not. Thursday night, she says, “people work were asking for pics from my daycare”. I said, “oh, so sorry I forgot!” Then sent 3 the next day and a couple a day thereafter. Only twice has she said, “thanks.”
She is only going to be here until September because then the daycare she really wanted to go to will have an opening.
I would love to say, “you never like the pics. However, she is close with my new sister n law who has a child the same age and I don’t know how this will be protrayed.
Also, yesterday, when she came for pick up, I think she may have been frustrated. I was outside watching 7 kids, her son was laying (happily) in the middle of the living room floor and my mother was handling my nephew (same age as her son) in my moms room. Generally, my mom is in the living room for pickup, but this was just a different situation.
Am I ridiculous for not wanting to text her anymore pics or post anymore of her son to the group?
I would just stop sending them. Tell her you're too busy watching the littles to keep sending them all the time. Did she say something about her son being in the living room by himself? Was your mom gone long with your nephew?
Core12 01:36 PM 04-27-2018
And my mom wasn’t gone for long at all.
BrynleeJean 03:04 PM 04-27-2018
does she seem rude?
i had a parent that would do the same things. act like she didnt care for the stuff but then if i didnt do them like want them, never commented back to messages but id i didnt send anything like an update would text me bugging about how her childs day had been and if they were okay. i was obviously too busy to message that day.. but shed message like are you guys alive? lol i took it with a grain of salt. she would still like invite me to her kids bday and stuff. she just had that kind of personality so i stopped expecting smiley faces after i sent a pic of her child, or comments on FB things or whatever. she just didnt do that, at least with me and thats fine, she paid me, i watched her kid
id just make sure not to leave the child alone again
knoxmomof2 11:27 PM 04-27-2018
I would stop sending the pics and refer her to the group you have if she wants to see pictures. I have a closed group on Facebook for parents, but I only post pics once a week, so I will send pics the first week a child is here - but only if the parent asks me to and I say "I'll send them if I remember, otherwise feel free to text me and check in. But again, I only do that for the first week. I've had one, maybe two, families ask for this and I let them know that I have no problem helping them get settled in the first week, after that, they'll be able to see pictures of our week on Facebook.
lblanke 04:23 AM 04-28-2018
I would be frustrated if I came in to see my 2 month old unsupervised in the middle of the living room floor, even happily, when one adult is with another child and the other adult is with 7 children. I would find other care. I am surprised that licensing does not call for all children that age to be in sight at all times unless an adult in the room (forgive me if he was in sight and I misunderstood. If you or your mom were watching baby and could see him from your location, that would be ok, an I would be ok if your mom were changing your nephew in the same room, etc, but the image I have in my head would make me uncomfortable). I would also not have any expectations of having someone "like" something on facebook.
sahm1225 07:33 PM 04-30-2018
Originally Posted by lblanke:
I would be frustrated if I came in to see my 2 month old unsupervised in the middle of the living room floor, even happily, when one adult is with another child and the other adult is with 7 children. I would find other care. I am surprised that licensing does not call for all children that age to be in sight at all times unless an adult in the room (forgive me if he was in sight and I misunderstood. If you or your mom were watching baby and could see him from your location, that would be ok, an I would be ok if your mom were changing your nephew in the same room, etc, but the image I have in my head would make me uncomfortable). I would also not have any expectations of having someone "like" something on facebook.
That was my thought too. It sounds like a 2 month old was left alone on the floor with two adults in different areas. That would concern me as a parent. The not liking on Facebook or commenting, I rarely like or comment. It doesn’t mean I don’t see it, but I only comment if I have to say something or ask a question. But I’m not a huge social media person
Unregistered 06:04 AM 05-01-2018
Originally Posted by Core12:
Yes, this is childish. Worry about providing good quality care for the children you have and cut the facebook crap.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:41 AM 05-01-2018
I don't think you're being childish. We live in a society that is on Facebook, and parents want the pictures and the updates and all the cute stuff, so wanting to be acknowledged for providing it is not childish. It takes a fraction of a second to like a picture. It's not hard. That being said, not everyone participates in Facebook farther than just scrolling and looking at pictures...lurkers. So it may not be intentional. I would probably overlook it, but I would not go out of my way to cater to one parent in terms of pics and texts.

As for the baby being on the floor while your mom changed the diaper, that wouldn't bother me. If I liked your care for my child, that one little situation wouldn't be a big deal, but every parent has a different comfort level.
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 05-01-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I don't think you're being childish. We live in a society that is on Facebook, and parents want the pictures and the updates and all the cute stuff, so wanting to be acknowledged for providing it is not childish. It takes a fraction of a second to like a picture. It's not hard. That being said, not everyone participates in Facebook farther than just scrolling and looking at pictures...lurkers. So it may not be intentional. I would probably overlook it, but I would not go out of my way to cater to one parent in terms of pics and texts.

As for the baby being on the floor while your mom changed the diaper, that wouldn't bother me. If I liked your care for my child, that one little situation wouldn't be a big deal, but every parent has a different comfort level.
I certainly wouldn't be catering to one parent either as offering daily photos is a PERK not a requirement for child care. If you have a group page.... just keep referring her there. Tell her you don't have time to text/e-mail pictures to one parent when you care for multiple children.

Plus, DCM's comment about coworkers asking for pictures of her baby?..... Doesn't SHE take pictures of her own child at home that she can share with them? Why the need for pictures from daycare?

As for supervision.... meh.... most states say sight OR sound and a non-mobile baby isn't at risk of being injured while on the floor alone. Now if the baby was left "unsupervised" within a group of children, I'd be SUPER concerned but realistically parents need to know and understand the definition of supervision as it applies to their state.

I am predominantly a solo provider (I have help a portion of the day) so there are times in which I have to use the rest room or assist someone else in the rest room. That doesn't automatically mean the other kids are unsupervised necessarily.

Within sight/sound and having the ability to intervene when necessary... that means something different for all ages and all environments. It's not a black and white thing.
lblanke 06:32 PM 05-01-2018
My state (Tennessee) requires what BC says..."Children six (6) weeks of age through two (2) years of age: the adult must be able to hear the child at all times, must be able to see the child at a quick glance, and must be able to physically respond immediately.

Mom, however, is wrong to expect pictures of her child sent to her via text (or even facebook IMHO). She has 9 kids that she is taking care of. Expecting pictures is not realistic, I think. But, who cares what someone else likes on facebook.
Tags:posting pictures
Reply Up