Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program Funding
Elena's Family Childcare 05:59 AM 01-29-2010
I'm on a food program here in AZ. As of Jan 26th they haven't received any funds yet. Checks are to us on or before the 25th. As of yesterday still nothing. Are any of you having problems also?

I guess maybe I should start to think about raising my daycare prices.

Have a nice weekend everyone!
gbcc 06:12 AM 01-29-2010
I thought it was a federal program? In NY we get our checks deposited into our accounts electronically on the 15th or they mail checks out on that date. I didn't have a problem this month. In fact they just changed the menu and what we are allowed to serve and how much so I don't think they have plans on canceling it.

What does your cacfp representative tell you? I get $500-$600 per month on the food program. That like getting paid for 1.5 spots for free! I would not like if that got cancelled!
originalkat 06:17 AM 01-29-2010
In fact I just signed up yesterday for the food program. I only have 4 kids so I will get around $325 per month...almost one full kid for free.
I would just call your sponser and ask. It is a Federal program but the money is issued at the State level.
Carole's Daycare 06:33 AM 01-29-2010
Once in the last 8 years I did not get my money on time. Apparently, the providers need to turn in records/claims by a certain date.Here that is by noon on the 3rd for the preceeding month. They are checked by your particular food program company, who then must submit it to the state by a deadline as well. If they miss the deadline, whether because your claim wasn't into them on time, or , as in my case, none of the claims for any of us were forwarded to the state on time , there is a 2 week delay. Here, the state issues a 2nd time for late submissions to the food program at the end of the month, which they then process and send to us. I expect either your claim was lost in transit to the food program, or they counted it late. When my food program messed up they sent us all a notice informing us our reimbursement would be late. I was still mad, but at least I had time to adjust the budget. Call your food program and clarify what the situation is. Good Luck
gbcc 06:33 AM 01-29-2010
Oh, so is it up to the state if they will participate? That stinks.
Carole's Daycare 06:39 AM 01-29-2010
Yeah, there is some cost administratively to the state. It is attached to the school lunch program through the USDA, so I expect most states participate, and the guidelines in terms of training and meal components are federal. The differences are probably more to do with deadlines and requirements for claims submissions etc. I think the state also determines which geographic areas and family incomes meat the criteria for Tier I or Tier II reimbursement rates. (Daycares in Low income neighborhoods and school districts receive a higher compensation rate, as well as families of lower income within childcares that geographically do not meet the criteria.)
Elena's Family Childcare 07:03 AM 01-29-2010
That's how I found out about the funding by contacting me rep. when my check didn't come in on the 25th. She told me that we should be getting our checks any day.
I get $360-$499 per month on the food program. I'm on the tier I rate and that is:

~ Breakfast $1.19
~ AM Snack $0.66
~ Lunch $2.21
~ PM Snack $0.66
~ Supper $2.21
~ Night $0.66
Veronica 04:31 PM 01-30-2010
where do I find out about a food program I live in florida. Thank you
Childminder 06:48 PM 01-30-2010
Veronica, I went thru a link on the Dept of Human Services web site and found a list of every food program sponsor in every state. Also you could link thru your state website which is probably www.FL.gov or the USDA.gov site and find a link that way.

We never get our monies from food program till the last business day of each month for the previous billing month so I dont know what happened to you moniey but I would go on the program sponsor website and see if there is a notice or call on Mon.
Michael 09:14 PM 01-30-2010
This may be what you are looking for: http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/applican...ents/apply.htm
hartsdc 08:43 PM 08-06-2015
Has anyone still not received their food check for July? I'm in Indiana and was told that our checks are ready to be sent, but the government will not give them the ok to release them. Am wondering why the government would put a hold on them.
midaycare 06:20 AM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by Elena's Family Childcare:
That's how I found out about the funding by contacting me rep. when my check didn't come in on the 25th. She told me that we should be getting our checks any day.
I get $360-$499 per month on the food program. I'm on the tier I rate and that is:

~ Breakfast $1.19
~ AM Snack $0.66
~ Lunch $2.21
~ PM Snack $0.66
~ Supper $2.21
~ Night $0.66
Oh to be Tier 1!!!!!
Blackcat31 07:40 AM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Oh to be Tier 1!!!!!
...and the provider you quoted posted rates from 2010.

The new rates for 2015 are

Tier I Reimbursement
Tier II Reimbursement
laundrymom 07:48 AM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by hartsdc:
Has anyone still not received their food check for July? I'm in Indiana and was told that our checks are ready to be sent, but the government will not give them the ok to release them. Am wondering why the government would put a hold on them.
Me too. I was told this week. But nothing for June's reimbursement yet.
midaycare 07:52 AM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Tier I Reimbursement
  • Breakfast $1.32
  • Lunch/Supper $2.48
  • Snack $ .74

Tier II Reimbursement
  • Breakfast $ .48
  • Lunch/Supper $ 1.50
  • Snack $ .20
Ugh. Tier 1 makes more off of lunch than I make in a day, per child.
AuntTami 08:21 AM 08-07-2015

Tier I Reimbursement
  • Breakfast $1.32
  • Lunch/Supper $2.48
  • Snack $ .74

Tier II Reimbursement
  • Breakfast $ .48
  • Lunch/Supper $ 1.50
  • Snack $ .20
I haven't gotten this far in my research so excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between I and II, besides obviously a ton more money? Lol
Blackcat31 08:26 AM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I haven't gotten this far in my research so excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between I and II, besides obviously a ton more money? Lol
Meals served in CACFP child care programs are reimbursed according to a two-tiered rate structure: Tier I and Tier II.

Sponsoring agencies are responsible for determining the appropriate tier for each of their participating FDCHs (Family Day Care Homes).

FDCHs are eligible for reimbursement at the higher Tier I rates for all eligible meals if they satisfy either of two conditions: geographic eligibility or provider income eligibility.

Geographic Eligibility: the FDCH is located in a low-income area. Geographic eligibility is determined by a home being located: a) in the attendance area of a school in which at least 50 percent of the children enrolled are certified eligible for free or reduced-price (F/RP) meals; or b) in a census block group (CBG) in which at least 50 percent of the children live in households with incomes at or below 185 percent of the Federal poverty guidelines (FPG). 

Provider Income Eligibility: the family day care provider certifies by application that she or he has a household income at or below 185% of the FPG or is categorically eligible because of being certified for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or another means-tested program with income limits of no more than 185% of the FPG.

FDCHs that meet geographic or income eligibility criteria are classified as "Tier I," and those that do not are classified as "Tier II." In Tier II FDCHs, meals served to children who qualify as low income are reimbursed at the Tier I rates; all other meals are reimbursed at the lower Tier II rates.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...PTiering12.pdf
midaycare 09:09 AM 08-07-2015
Meals served in CACFP child care programs are reimbursed according to a two-tiered rate structure: Tier I and Tier II.

Sponsoring agencies are responsible for determining the appropriate tier for each of their participating FDCHs (Family Day Care Homes).

FDCHs are eligible for reimbursement at the higher Tier I rates for all eligible meals if they satisfy either of two conditions: geographic eligibility or provider income eligibility.

Geographic Eligibility: the FDCH is located in a low-income area. Geographic eligibility is determined by a home being located: a) in the attendance area of a school in which at least 50 percent of the children enrolled are certified eligible for free or reduced-price (F/RP) meals; or b) in a census block group (CBG) in which at least 50 percent of the children live in households with incomes at or below 185 percent of the Federal poverty guidelines (FPG). 

Provider Income Eligibility: the family day care provider certifies by application that she or he has a household income at or below 185% of the FPG or is categorically eligible because of being certified for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or another means-tested program with income limits of no more than 185% of the FPG.

FDCHs that meet geographic or income eligibility criteria are classified as "Tier I," and those that do not are classified as "Tier II." In Tier II FDCHs, meals served to children who qualify as low income are reimbursed at the Tier I rates; all other meals are reimbursed at the lower Tier II rates.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...PTiering12.pdf
So according to this, do you know if it depends on the school district as a whole for the 50%, or just the elementary school I am assigned to. Our elementary school is above 50, the district is not.
Blackcat31 09:27 AM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
So according to this, do you know if it depends on the school district as a whole for the 50%, or just the elementary school I am assigned to. Our elementary school is above 50, the district is not.
In my area, it's according to assigned school.

We have 5 elementary schools and only 3 of them qualify providers in those areas as Tier I, the other two schools are over the 50%.

I live 2 blocks (on one side) from the elementary school and 2 blocks (other side) from the middle school.

I qualify for Tier I because of the elementary school I am "assigned" to.
midaycare 11:46 AM 08-07-2015
In my area, it's according to assigned school.

We have 5 elementary schools and only 3 of them qualify providers in those areas as Tier I, the other two schools are over the 50%.

I live 2 blocks (on one side) from the elementary school and 2 blocks (other side) from the middle school.

I qualify for Tier I because of the elementary school I am "assigned" to.
Interesting. I think I was being underpaid. Time to review!
Tags:food program, funding, meals, subcontractor issues
Reply Up