Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time
momatheart 02:39 PM 04-03-2011
Do any of you allow non napping kids to get up and play quietly or with quiet toys after they have rested for a half hour or do they have quiet time for the whole nap time?
MsMe 02:47 PM 04-03-2011
it is my general rule that all children under 5 rest for the entire nap time. 1pm to 3pm. I have on occasion let an 'old' 4yr get up an play with the older school age kids during srping or winter break. I have had some 4's in the past that seem much older and like to play with the older kids. I try really hard to never break my rules to keep consistancy....so if it is my idea because they have been realy good ill let them get up. I never allow a child that has been whining to get their way over mine.
Live and Learn 02:49 PM 04-03-2011
Afternoon nap is SACRED!
Every one here naps including the older 4yr old.
nannyde 03:26 PM 04-03-2011
I don't provide service to children who don't need a full afternoon nap. If they have outgrown nap they have outgrown my program.
youretooloud 03:28 PM 04-03-2011
I'd rather walk across broken glass than give up naptime.

I do put on a movie though... and I do occasionally let the older kids stay up late. Then, when they do something wrong, I send them to bed. As soon as they start bickering, they go to bed.
momatheart 03:45 PM 04-03-2011
In a center we can not keep them on their cots after 30 min. Home daycares must not have this same law. Boy do I envy you guys.
nannyde 04:05 PM 04-03-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
In a center we can not keep them on their cots after 30 min. Home daycares must not have this same law. Boy do I envy you guys.
Is that for any age?

Wow... what a way to get a nation of sleep deprived children.
youretooloud 04:14 PM 04-03-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Is that for any age?

Wow.. funny how things are different. I was always told they HAD to rest for a full two hours.
PitterPatter 05:09 PM 04-03-2011
When I had older kids during summer they were permitted to stay in the dining room or circle time area working with puzzles, reading or coloring etc if they didn't want to nap. My younger children nap in the living room for 2 hours. If they don't want to or just can't nap and have tried to I then allow them to join the older kids in quiet time. I am very lucky these days because I only have 3 toddlers and they all nap together without a fuss.
momatheart 05:13 PM 04-03-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Is that for any age?

Preschoolers. (33 months up to first day of kindergarten.)
cheerfuldom 05:41 PM 04-03-2011
I'm with nanny. All my DC kids nap the whole nap time. If they don't nap, they have outgrown our routine here.
mac60 04:17 AM 04-04-2011
It is not a choice here. You nap till you start kindergarten. No exceptions. There is no getting up to do quiet activities. It just doesn't work allowing 1 or 2 to be up.
mickey2 04:52 AM 04-04-2011
They all have full naps here at least 1.5 to 2 hours. I believe all children need their naps until they go to school.
DCMomOf3 05:03 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
home DCs in my state are supposed to follow this too.
MN Day Mom 05:26 AM 04-04-2011
Everyone here has quiet time... they don't have to sleep and often I will have PBS or a movie on. Even my SA's when they are off school have this down time too... no reason they can't take a break and watch a movie or soemthing too
Meeko 05:35 AM 04-04-2011
All kids nap...even the "schoolies" during school breaks. They need it and I need it!
godiva83 05:53 AM 04-04-2011
DC in ontario have that regulation also. It was passed a few years ago. You are not premitted to keep a child on their cots if they are not sleeping after 30mins and kinders have the choice to rest or not to rest. It makes it so hard to get the children to sleep when they see other children at tables with quiet activities.
I believe HDC's have the same rules in place if licensed. Nap time is so important for both children and providers it is a silly rule in my opinion
Blackcat31 05:59 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
All kids nap...even the "schoolies" during school breaks. They need it and I need it!
This is my routine as well. The ONLY exceptions I make is during the summer time the schoolers are allowed to choose outside or nap/rest time....however, if they come in and out more than a few times and begin being disruptive to my nappers, then then I have them rest/nap and they are no longer given the choice that day. I need the quiet time and I believe that most my daycare kids do as well.
WImom 08:51 AM 04-04-2011
Home daycares here have to follow the 30 minutes and get up to different activities here as well. I just have one and she sometimes naps. On occasion kids will wake up earlier but most sleep a full two hours.
littlemissmuffet 08:59 AM 04-04-2011
Children under five have a rest period of two hours. If a 3+ child isn't sleeping after 1 hour they can have books to read... no toys or playing.
Hunni Bee 04:08 PM 04-04-2011
Im sorry, that is my planning and cleaning time. The words "play" and "quiet" do not belong in the same sentence for my kids. And I will not put myself through an afternoon of a 3 year old who has been awake since 6 am with no nap. I have some really intense kids and they need that downtime...I have one non-napper, and he is my most mellow one.

He just lies there and looks at the sky and clouds for a while and has some quiet time...then when he's done with that he gets up, puts his mat and blankets away and colors or something.

No one else is allowed.
Unregistered 07:51 PM 04-04-2011
I'm currently working on becoming licensed in Indiana but when I worked at a daycare last year, our licensing agent reminded us that rest time was REQUIRED by state law for anyone under first grade. Even in all day kindergarten kids are required to have 1 hour of quiet time. Nap time is the most important part of a daycare providers day in order to keep their sanity.
Tags:non sleepers, quiet time, won't sleep
Reply Up