Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Pets
Unregistered 03:58 PM 01-12-2016
New reg's require flea/tick/worm meds and require pets immunizations.
Where to claim on taxes???
Thriftylady 04:01 PM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
New reg's require flea/tick/worm meds and require pets immunizations.
Where to claim on taxes???
You can't. Cats and dogs are considered family pets not daycare pets. You can get by claiming a hamster, gerbil or even fish tank if they are a part of your daycare program, but not cats, dogs and such.
ggmac 05:45 AM 01-19-2016
I was told (years ago) that I could claim having the dogs nails trimmed under "Safety". Would this still be the case?
Blackcat31 05:54 AM 01-19-2016
Originally Posted by ggmac:
I was told (years ago) that I could claim having the dogs nails trimmed under "Safety". Would this still be the case?
Nope. Licensing requires you to have certain immunizations IF you CHOOSE to have a dog but since having a dog is not a licensing requirement for you to be licensed, you cannot use any of the associated costs for your pet as a business deduction.

http://tomcopelandblog.com/are-my-pets-deductible
Thriftylady 06:26 AM 01-19-2016
Doing this yourself is free and easy! I also give our pets all the shots that I am legally allowed to give myself. Saves me a TON! I can give my cats their full set of shots every year for $15 each.
TomCopeland 02:36 PM 01-21-2016
You can't deduct expenses for dogs or cats because the IRS considers them too personal. If nobody is required to give them shots, but you are required to because you are provider, then you can deduct the shots.
Unregistered 08:56 AM 01-22-2016
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You can't deduct expenses for dogs or cats because the IRS considers them too personal. If nobody is required to give them shots, but you are required to because you are provider, then you can deduct the shots.
I figured if it's required in regulations I can claim it regardless of the type of animal. Event though I may choose to do it without the reg's I don't have to thus claim it right??
TomCopeland 09:20 AM 01-22-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I figured if it's required in regulations I can claim it regardless of the type of animal. Event though I may choose to do it without the reg's I don't have to thus claim it right??
Licensing may require shots, but if you are required to have them even if you aren't a provider, then they aren't a business expense.
Reply Up