Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Help, Again
Baby Beluga 08:35 AM 04-18-2016
I have a boy here who is 3.5 years old and is nowhere near being potty trained. I am looking for validation that I am doing everything I can here to help train him and he simply isn't ready or if anyone has suggestions on how to realistically help him train here that I haven't tried, please share

Here is what happens(ed) while is in attendance here:

We take a potty break every 1.5 hours.

For a while he was doing great. Would remain dry almost all day, and would successfully pee during our potty breaks. Close to his 3rd birthday dad swore DCB would be potty trained by age 3. This lead the parents to start a potty timer and made him try to use the potty every 30 minutes. I said I was not able to do this at DC for many reasons. Family went on vacation over Christmas and to my knowledge tried the 30 minute timer over vacation. DCB regressed in potty training. When he returned from vacation, instead of remaining dry almost all day, he was wet every 1.5 hours.

DCB will pee in the potty, but is almost always wet every 1.5 hours. He never tells me when he has to use the bathroom. Sometimes he will say "I'm dry!" and he will be soaking wet. Sometimes he will say "I peed in my diaper!" and he will have peed.

For right now, we talk about keeping our diaper dry, and use the potty every 1.5 hours. Parents are bribing him at home that if he remains dry for 3 days he can have a special toy. Is there anything else I can realistically do here to help him over this hump?

DCB is sweet and very smart but is also very ornery. Part of me feels like this is just control on his part and part of me feels like he just truly is not ready.
Leigh 09:09 AM 04-18-2016
Even if it is a "control" issue, he's still not ready. I'd just stop, and I'd urge the parents to stop pushing so hard. He'll do it when he's ready.
Indoorvoice 10:57 AM 04-18-2016
I agree with Leigh. Something is not clicking with him. I would completely stop for a few months to allow him to reset and try again when he can stay dry for longer periods.
MunchkinWrangler 12:16 PM 04-18-2016
He's simply not ready yet. The pressures of training can sometimes make it worse. The best thing to do IMO is to talk about it, involve him in learning the steps of going potty, and helping him recognize needing to go and which one.
Baby Beluga 12:33 PM 04-18-2016
Thank you for the validation ladies. He is by far my hardest one to train. I can tell this process bothers him because today each time he was wet during a potty break he would lower his head and pout. I think because he knows he can no longer get the treat he was promised if he remains dry, but if he is simply not ready to remain dry this must be upsetting, confusing and frustrating for him.
Mike 12:45 PM 04-18-2016
Sounds like he was starting to learn, but then the added pressure was too much. I agree with the others, give him a break and see if he's ready again later, but this will work best if the parents work with you on it.
Tags:potty training, potty training - boys
Reply Up