Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daughter Being "Held Back" in Classroom
Witty 05:43 AM 08-25-2016
So, long story short:

My daughter has attended the same highly-rated daycare center since she was an infant and we've been really happy until now. Her birthday is August 16th, which means she'll turn 5 right before our county cut-off for kindergarten. Last year she started in the 2 year-old room right when she turned 2, and has been in there a full year. Was told repeatedly that she'd be moving up to the 3 year-old room at the start of the new "daycare year" (August 16th), and I talked up the transition with her for weeks, stopping by her "new classroom" and talking about her growing up into a big girl with a new teacher.

Only a few days before she's due to start, we're informed that they decided to make TWO 3-year-old classrooms, Classroom A and Classroom B. Except classroom A is for ages 2.5 to 3.5, and classroom B is for ages 3.5-4. Classroom A is the exact same room as the old 2 year-old room, with the exact same toys. Different teacher and different name. My daughter and a few other kids are the oldest kids in that class, and even though it's supposed to be ages 2.5-3.5, there is a 28 month old there and 4 children (out of 14) that are not potty-trained.

We've been told that our kids will not move into Classroom B upon turning 3.5; they will be in classroom A for the entire year. We were also told that the lesson plans will be the exact same for Classroom A and Classroom B, but I can't possibly see how that will happen since there is almost a full year age difference in the classrooms.

I think they just accepted "new" kids into the older classroom without first giving preference to the established kids who need to move up with grade level to be prepared for kindergarten. It was a money-hungry move with no regard to what is best for the kids, and the communication has been HORRIBLE about it.

Myself and parents of 4 other kids "stuck" in Classroom A met with the Director and voiced our concerns and were given the run-around about how the education would be the same, yadda yadda yadda. Am I overreacting in seriously considering pulling my child out?
Tags:character education, community, empathy, leadership, ratios, unrealistic expectations, values
Up