Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>K-1 Question
snbauser 09:53 AM 02-20-2014
For a very short time in 2012 I was a 50/50 partner in a center. We filed our taxes last year. We need to file again this year because we had a small amount of income that carried into 2013 (from state paid kids) but we also had a ton of expenses we were (and still are) paying off. So when I go to enter the K1 on my taxes it asks if "the partnership is currently a non-passive activity, but you have carryforward losses from when it was a passive activity". I'm confused as to whether this is a yes because the business is no longer active or a no because I was an active partner in the business? Thanks.
TomCopeland 12:04 PM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
For a very short time in 2012 I was a 50/50 partner in a center. We filed our taxes last year. We need to file again this year because we had a small amount of income that carried into 2013 (from state paid kids) but we also had a ton of expenses we were (and still are) paying off. So when I go to enter the K1 on my taxes it asks if "the partnership is currently a non-passive activity, but you have carryforward losses from when it was a passive activity". I'm confused as to whether this is a yes because the business is no longer active or a no because I was an active partner in the business? Thanks.
Since you had income in 2013 this is not a passive activity. The answer to the question posed by the K1 is no, because in 2012 your business was not a passive activity. In other words, you have no carry forward losses from a passive activity, since you never had passive activity.
snbauser 02:28 PM 02-21-2014
Thanks Tom!. A follow up question - since we are still paying off debt this year, we will need to file one more time next year. So am I understanding that because there will be no income this year, then next year I would select yes?
TomCopeland 08:45 AM 02-23-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Thanks Tom!. A follow up question - since we are still paying off debt this year, we will need to file one more time next year. So am I understanding that because there will be no income this year, then next year I would select yes?
Next year the answer will still be no because your partnership will not be a non passive activity. (double negative means you would only answer yes if your partnership became active in 2014)
snbauser 10:34 AM 02-23-2014
ahhh..got it. Thanks so much Tom!
Tags:k1, passive activity, tom copeland
Reply Up