Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tom: Non-Daycare Question?
Leigh 02:19 PM 02-03-2016
I am a foster parent. We've claimed our foster kids as dependents in the past if they've been with us more than half the year (we definitely pay more than half of their support). I'm in a bind this year because his social worker isn't providing his social security number to us.

Here's my question: Are we legally entitled to claim him (I would ask the IRS, but I probably wouldn't get an answer soon enough)? How do I claim him without a social security number? Is there a tax identification number that I can get for him?
Thriftylady 02:40 PM 02-03-2016
I don't know if there is anything you can do. But I do know that some foster care agencies claim the kiddos. Not sure it is legal or not, but I have heard of it.
TomCopeland 07:15 AM 02-04-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I am a foster parent. We've claimed our foster kids as dependents in the past if they've been with us more than half the year (we definitely pay more than half of their support). I'm in a bind this year because his social worker isn't providing his social security number to us.

Here's my question: Are we legally entitled to claim him (I would ask the IRS, but I probably wouldn't get an answer soon enough)? How do I claim him without a social security number? Is there a tax identification number that I can get for him?
Yes, you claim a foster child as a dependent as long as you meet the tests of a dependent. You must have a valid Social Security number to claim the child as a dependent. Talk to the social worker's boss. If you have no luck, talk to your county commissioner's office.
Reply Up