Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Help! What Do You Gals Do To Protect Yourself Legally??
SimpleMom 11:22 AM 11-04-2010
Ok. Long story short. I just took care of a family on assistance for about 4m. Three kids. Still owe me over $300.00 that assistance was not active for(waived about half of it already).
This family I had to discontinue care with yesterday due to their children being aggressive and unresponsive to redirection after numerous attempts to make it work.
One of the kids hurt their arm and I called mom right away. I called my licensor right after that. Three hours later I have three policmen at my door?!?! I thought it was child protection with two police. I invite them in, we talk, etc. I find out from my licensor that it was only the law enforcement NOT child protection and that someone had to of called them saying that I hit (yep, that's right ) thier children.
HUGE accusation!!!
I am so upset and frazzled at the experience. I just want to know what can I do to protect myself? I know I can ask for references with written consent from the interviewed parents, but that's about it.
Blackcat31 11:41 AM 11-04-2010
First off, know that 90% of complaints by parents in regards to providers are from families who owe the provider money. Your licensor can obviously see that and she can see that money issues were the problem. I had a parent report me once b/c I would not allow her child to stay. Her child was part time and I was full that day and she showed up unscheduled. Licensor showed up at my door cuz law says she has to and she calmed me down and said, why would a family call on me b/c I wouldn't keep their child? They obviously liked my care or they wouldn't have complained about me not keeping their kid. Parent are usually just mad about something so they call out of anger. As far as the asistance goes, I NEVER allow a family to begin care until I have a contract in my hand from the county. I will accept a call from the worker stating exactly when the care starts and for how long but I do NOT accept the parent's word. In my state if parents do not pay their co-pays, providers can report that to the county and the assistance will be stopped. This includes payments to new providers.
I would assume the licensor found no wrong doing on your part so I wouldn't stress about it. You will find people make unfounded calls all the time and as long as you are a provider and aren't guilty of anything, there is nothing much you can do except hold your head up and know you are a good provider. Good luck!
SimpleMom 03:00 PM 11-04-2010
Thank you. I called my Pastor about it and she said the same thing. She knows I do a good job and such. It's just so frustrating that someone would do that. I've never experienced this before and NEVER want to again. Almost thought about quitting, but I'm over that part now. It's just a tramatic experience. Makes me think about only taking care of those that I personally know and have good references from...and that's so sad.

I can say I will never, ever take assistance again without the paperwork and even then it will be paid upfront and I'll reimburse them for it. (legal to do that where I live). Plus, if I do (or for any other interview for that matter), I will make sure I screen them better. I knew there were some flags at the get-go, but they were referred by someone that I trusted and I really wanted to help out.
Childminder 04:05 PM 11-04-2010
I have had three parents call licensing complaining about me. They all were state pay and owed me money. It is an awful, cruel thing that they do thinking that you won't go after them for what they owe. Actually it has made me do the opposite and take their ^$$ to court and I probably wouldn't have bothered. Even if you do get the paper work up front and all your ducks in a row, they will end up owing you. I made the decision that no matter how much I need to fill the spots I will NEVER take state pay again.
Abigail 07:31 PM 11-04-2010
For those who have ever reported the provider, does the provider get told who reported them or does the parent actually say they reported the provider? Can you call and ask if you've ever been reported or do they keep track if someone calls and compliments you? Just wondering. Thanks
Tags:insurance, liability
Reply Up