Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>STINK of Marijuana
WBee 09:45 AM 02-08-2018
I'm looking for advice regarding a child in my care who comes in stinking of marijuana everyday. When Dad drops off and picks up Dad reeks of it as well. I can't stand the smell of it. At first only dad smelled of it and now as time continues the child and his belongings have been smelling of it really bad. Would you send out a notice to all parents telling them it's not permitted or would you approach the family directly? I also had a grandparent (different family)pick up last week who smelled of it while I had a DHS person here checking in on a state aid child. I do not want the liability of these situations nor do I want the smell in my home.
amberrose3dg 09:48 AM 02-08-2018
Originally Posted by WBee:
I'm looking for advice regarding a child in my care who comes in stinking of marijuana everyday. When Dad drops off and picks up Dad reeks of it as well. I can't stand the smell of it. At first only dad smelled of it and now as time continues the child and his belongings have been smelling of it really bad. Would you send out a notice to all parents telling them it's not permitted or would you approach the family directly? I also had a grandparent (different family)pick up last week who smelled of it while I had a DHS person here checking in on a state aid child. I do not want the liability of these situations nor do I want the smell in my home.
If it is not legal in your state that would be a huge liability.
Ariana 09:53 AM 02-08-2018
Are you licensed? I would contact my licensing rep to ask for advice.
Mom2Two 10:24 AM 02-08-2018
I hadn't even thought of this situation--not legal here but it could still happen. What can we do about second hand smoke? It's dangerous for the child, but will licensing help?
MomBoss 10:44 AM 02-08-2018
I would talk to the family. Maybe let them know that when dhs was visiting, they noticed the child smelled of marijuana?
Its a weird situation. In my state medical marijuana is legal, and i truly believe it doesnt do people any harm. The only thing that would bother me is the smell in my home but otherwise i wouldnt get cps involved or be mad the parent is even smoking it. But thats based on my research, personal opinion, and experience seeing how much it helped a family memebr with their pain and medical situation.
Maybe if you say it like i stated above (dhs noticed) , the parent will be embarrassed and make sure the childs clothes arent near any smoke.
WBee 12:19 PM 02-08-2018
I like the DHS idea. It is medically legal here so I can't assume how/why they're using it but like I said, I don't want the liability or the 'stink". I am licensed
Thank you!
hwichlaz 03:56 PM 02-09-2018
Ok, I think we got off track on this. So back to the OP.

I think not caring for the smell is reasonable. So you don’t want someone you are giving close personal care to all day to stink. That’s an appropriate thing to bring up with a parent.

What liability do you feel it’s causing you if an adult smells of it? People who smoke it regularly smell like it even when they aren’t smoking. So odor is no indication of intoxication.
BrynleeJean 05:28 PM 02-09-2018
OO yea i wouldn't want my home smelling suspicious. I've had parents come in and smell cigarette smoke on a diaper bag and comment to me. and i don't smoke. so yea that would be an issue. Legally id be required to report it to licensing maybe id talk to my licensor first so it wasn't so formal just things would get real serious real quick.
hwichlaz 05:32 PM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
OO yea i wouldn't want my home smelling suspicious. I've had parents come in and smell cigarette smoke on a diaper bag and comment to me. and i don't smoke. so yea that would be an issue. Legally id be required to report it to licensing maybe id talk to my licensor first so it wasn't so formal just things would get real serious real quick.
How does anyone know what you personally smell though? Honestly....I can smell cigarette smoke, but I don't even smell poopy diapers anymore unless they are really bad. Thank goodness. Though if the child smells of it, that can make your home smell. But not just someone dropping off smelling like it.
Denali 05:47 PM 02-09-2018
It’s legal in my state. Medical and personal use. I would call licensing to check what you should do.

Personally I think it fine to pertake - as long as you are treating it like booze. To me (because it’s legal here) it’s no different then drinking. If you are smoking a joint (or high by other means) and driving with your child (or without honesty) I’ll be making a phone call.

I know people who have greatly benefited from it. As long as people are being safe and responsible then good for them.
Tigerlilly 06:27 PM 02-11-2018
It's legal here so I wouldn't make a stink about it. Chances are the parent is probably a grower and that is why the smell is so strong. I know too many people that use it and have normal productive lives so unless you see some indication or abuse or neglect there isn't anything to report. You can terminate them for stinking if it is a major issue.
Mike 06:40 PM 02-11-2018
Originally Posted by Tigerlilly:
It's legal here so I wouldn't make a stink about it. Chances are the parent is probably a grower and that is why the smell is so strong. I know too many people that use it and have normal productive lives so unless you see some indication or abuse or neglect there isn't anything to report. You can terminate them for stinking if it is a major issue.
I would have to. I hate the smell and get headaches from it. Legal or not, marijuana will never be around me. A friend even recommended it because I live on pain pills. I said no thanks, the pills work just fine.
Cat Herder 06:01 AM 02-12-2018
When Dad drops off and picks up Dad reeks of it as well. I can't stand the smell of it.
"DCD, Thanks for meeting with me. I need to make you aware that the smell of pot on your kids clothes, hair and belongings is really becoming a problem for me. I need you to handle it as soon as possible. It cannot continue."

Fyi: I had to do the same for rose scented essential oils recently too. A person can only take so much. The local middle school has an Axe body spray ban, too.
Tags:marijuana, smokers
Reply Up