Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Gave A Parent Notice And Now They Are Badmouthing My Daycare
permanentvacation 10:35 PM 10-23-2013
Familycare71,

Thank you about the interviews.

Yeah, if you got a dangerous substance on your report, God knows what someone might think that means! I think they should reword the reports or something. It's hard for someone who is not in this business to read a report and know whether something really is something they should be truly concerned about or not. In my case, I flipped out when I read my report - until I realized that a couple of them really are repeats of themselves which makes it look like more violations than it really was.

Re: Lala, I didn't think she was trying to bash me. I just wanted the opportunity to have her personally meet me and decide for herself, not be guided by what someone else said about me.

I know I am worth WAY more than I am currently charging. However, after being closed for a couple of months for surgery, I really need to get those first couple of kids in here. Nobody wants their child to be the first couple of kids. They want to wait until there's lots of friends here for their child. Which is understandable, however, if no one will be the first two or three, you can never get to having a lot of friends. So I have lowered my rate just to get the first few in here.

Going by my years of experience, education, what I do with the kids, and many references from previous parents which show that I have proven myself time and time again over the years, I definitely deserve at least the going rate. However, not everyone can afford that and at this moment in my life, I simply need income. And the first few children. Then others will feel more willing to hire me because there will already be friends here for their children to play with. Then I can raise my rates again.

I posted the ad saying Children LOVE to PLAY here simply because the one parent said that I don't let the kids play. I wanted to emphasis by my title and pictures of kids playing that I posted in the ad that Yes, indeed, the children do play here.

I also offered the refund if not happy because of that parent's complaint of not being happy here. I decided that I would allow the parent to try my services for a certain time frame. I truly believe in my daycare and am willing to stand behind my business. If someone isn't happy with my services, I was willing to refund their money. I know that could get people who just want to use me for free daycare for a while, but if that ad got me one new child, it worked for me. It also let people see that I stand behind my company with a money back guarantee. Companies that make products offer a money back guarantee if not satisfied. I have complete faith in what my childcare offers, so I didn't see anything wrong with offering a money back guarantee. It's different, not typically done, but it shows that I truly believe that if given a chance, you will like my daycare.

I know other daycare providers talk about me. They have even called me on three way to fuss at me for my rates. I appreciate someone letting me know that it happened to them, but I know the other providers are upset with me about my rates.

I really don't think that one or a few providers offering lower rates will make a difference overall on the whole of the daycare business. Actually, a typical center rate is $120-$200. However, I know of one center - not a home daycare- who offers a rate of $75. They've been offering $75 for quite a while. There facility is pretty much the same as the $200 facilities. They do about the same things with the kids. But when I worked at the $200 facilities, I never hears anyone fussing about the $75 facility. I wonder why home daycare providers are so worried about each other's business when facilities simply go about their own thing. They don't seem to compare themselves to the other facilities, their directors are not calling each other or getting on forums telling each other off for their rates. I have been in center interviews and in the room when a parent calls and asks about childcare. Never once did I hear a director/employee of a center tell a parent not to use another particular center or in anyway discuss the goings on at another center. I wonder why home daycare providers feel the need to do so. hmmm... just a thought there.
permanentvacation 10:37 PM 10-23-2013
I started my last post addressed to familycare 71, but toward the end, I just started expressing my thoughts which weren't meant to be addressed to familycare. I actually just got lost in thought and forgot that I was addressing familycare. Sorry.
Familycare71 04:51 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I started my last post addressed to familycare 71, but toward the end, I just started expressing my thoughts which weren't meant to be addressed to familycare. I actually just got lost in thought and forgot that I was addressing familycare. Sorry.
I followed you!
I am personally amazed at the fact that you get so much hate based on your rates!
I agree- they need to change the way they word things in the violations... Some sound horrific- or they need to just provide what circumstance the violation was broken. I learned... I don't use my lower floor anymore- only spaces I can physically check at the beginning of each day
I wish you the best of luck getting back on your feet! I will continue to flag the posts- I am surprised yesterday didn't remove them!
permanentvacation 05:06 AM 10-24-2013
Familycare71,

Thank you. Have a good day. I have to start my work day now. I'm going to go make breakfast for the little girl I watch.
SilverSabre25 05:19 AM 10-24-2013
daycare--nope, not a mod anymore. Not my choice, but whatever.

The rest of you--reading this thread even *I* was getting anxious and feeling like OP was being jumped on. While I realize that everyone is trying to help...it just felt too "attack-y" to me. It calmed down after I posted the knock it off So that worked. Helpful without being overly critical or bringing unrelated topics into it is a good game plan for these things. And lala, it might have been less...antagonistic...if you would have brought up the "other providers don't recommend you" in a private message to her instead of in public. Not to single you out, but that's really where the "piling on" began. and then the unreg who had to go and post the violations--not fair either IMO.
countrymom 06:18 AM 10-24-2013
since you have been running for 23 yrs. maybe its time for a revamp of your program. I would take down your ad for about a week, let things calm down. But in the mean time, I would freshen up things around my house, like new colors, placement of furniture.

Also maybe change your daycare name (if possible) sometimes a change is good. Also, I dont charge a different rate for children, its one rate, and its 30 dollars a full day up to 9 hours. I'm in the middle of the rate, and thats fine.
SilverSabre25 06:23 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
since you have been running for 23 yrs. maybe its time for a revamp of your program. I would take down your ad for about a week, let things calm down. But in the mean time, I would freshen up things around my house, like new colors, placement of furniture.

Also maybe change your daycare name (if possible) sometimes a change is good. Also, I dont charge a different rate for children, its one rate, and its 30 dollars a full day up to 9 hours. I'm in the middle of the rate, and thats fine.

I like countrymom's suggestion. If you keep the name, what if you style things, "Grand RE-OPENING! Experienced caregiver with 25 years of childcare experience is pleased to announce her Grand Reopening!", etc.
countrymom 07:04 AM 10-24-2013
ok, I just went and read your ad. Oh, hunny please take it down, all of them. If you need help writing a new one, I would gladly help you.

also
your front yard doesn't look inviting. Yes I know that you play upfront (I have a front porch too) but it needs work, like, the grass needs to be cut and weed wacked. The bare spot needs to be fixed. If the kids are using it, then I would get rid of the grass and put peastones or artificial grass (ok if you have that kinda of money) get rid of those foam pieces, they breed mold and look cheap to me. I would add, pots of flowers (kids can help you water them) add some kids chairs and table of the porch. It needs color. I also think your sign looks blah, I would think something bright fun looking would draw people in, your sign looks stale.

on the inside, get rid of the pics. Your dogs look scarey (I don't like dogs), also you need to show the main floor. You don't need to hang things on the wall (I don't have anything) but it doesn't look kid friendly. Like where is a book case, or a kitchen center. Maybe even a different paint color on the wall.

like I said before, sometimes we just need to revamp our area and it will be better.
countrymom 07:05 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I like countrymom's suggestion. If you keep the name, what if you style things, "Grand RE-OPENING! Experienced caregiver with 25 years of childcare experience is pleased to announce her Grand Reopening!", etc.
yes, that would be awesome (I didn't have enough coffee yet lol!)
Cat Herder 07:08 AM 10-24-2013

I know other daycare providers talk about me. They have even called me on three way to fuss at me for my rates. I appreciate someone letting me know that it happened to them, but I know the other providers are upset with me about my rates.

I really don't think that one or a few providers offering lower rates will make a difference overall on the whole of the daycare business.
My two cents Having lower rates does effect the other providers in their reimbursement rates. States take an average of the rates across a given county, then base those reimbursements on the median.

Remember the grading curve in school? You are the weak link in their eyes and are going to be their favorite target for a while. Keep your chin up, don't take it personal and raise your rates as soon as humanly possible.

As far as "toxic chemical available to kids"... I was hit with one of those for having a bottle of Johnson's Baby Oil by the bathtub when I ran to open the front door..... WITH a wet, freshly bathed & oiled infant in my arms.

It depends on the mood and personality of the licensor.... luckily "Mrs. Snotty McEscalade" was let go soon thereafter. Wonder who could have organized a campaign to file so many complaints on her......

Bottom line: Every provider I have ever known has had a terminated client badmouth them... If it has not happened to a few here yet.... just wait for it.

(FTR: I have never used craigslist.. )
MotherNature 07:50 AM 10-24-2013
I flagged 3 different ads. I agree with the others about your personal ad though. It seems overly wordy. Keep it concise, highlight the good points & leave the details to interviews. Good luck!
daycare 08:15 AM 10-24-2013
I know that both BC and MV are really good at helping with website....

I looked at yours and what I did notice, is that you put tons of information about your curriculum, which was great, but it is not on your website. I would make my craigs list ad shorter, directing them to your website.

Have you ever heard of SMORE.com check it out. It will help you make a very professional FREE ad for your craigs list ads. I love it. It even keeps track of the people that visit your ad/site.

I am no expert, but if you would like some help with your website, I would love to help you. PM me if you want to see mine....

Hope that you are feeling better today.....
LaLa1923 09:26 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:

I looked at yours and what I did notice, is that you put tons of information about your curriculum, which was great, but it is not on your website. I would make my craigs list ad shorter, directing them to your website.

Have you ever heard of SMORE.com check it out. It will help you make a very professional FREE ad for your craigs list ads. I love it. It even keeps track of the people that visit your ad/site.

I am no expert, but if you would like some help with your website, I would love to help you. PM me if you want to see mine....

I pmed u a while ago!!! I'd love to see it. I need a website
Memc2001 09:35 AM 10-24-2013
What a**holes. I will flag it. Tell me where to go!
sleepinghart 09:35 AM 10-24-2013
~Hi permanentvacation ! I'm just wondering, only if you don't mind my asking that is, when did you start getting the angry/unnecessary phone calls from these other providers? Also, were you full before having to take-off to have surgery- and were you satisfied/happy with the way things were going with your daycare before you had to take those few months off.....Basically all was well before then? I hope things continue to go extremely well for you!

Angelsj 10:01 AM 10-24-2013
$50 week and YOU provide diapers (the OP)?? Can I hire you?
melilley 10:13 AM 10-24-2013
I agree with pp's who said to make your cl ad shorter and put a link to your website. Also a lot is two words not one, I notice that you put alot instead . I would also put more pics on your website highlighting your daycare. (I can't talk, I just looked at my website and I have pics with snow on the ground from last winter! I don't look at my site too often. )

As for having the dog at daycare, I have an 85 lb lab and all of my dc parents love him. Some even considered getting a dog after meeting mine. Like you said, some families will fine with it, others not, but then they're really not the right fit if they don't accept my dog.
Sugar Magnolia 10:27 AM 10-24-2013
ok, I just went and read your ad. Oh, hunny please take it down, all of them. If you need help writing a new one, I would gladly help you.

also
your front yard doesn't look inviting. Yes I know that you play upfront (I have a front porch too) but it needs work, like, the grass needs to be cut and weed wacked. The bare spot needs to be fixed. If the kids are using it, then I would get rid of the grass and put peastones or artificial grass (ok if you have that kinda of money) get rid of those foam pieces, they breed mold and look cheap to me. I would add, pots of flowers (kids can help you water them) add some kids chairs and table of the porch. It needs color. I also think your sign looks blah, I would think something bright fun looking would draw people in, your sign looks stale.

on the inside, get rid of the pics. Your dogs look scarey (I don't like dogs), also you need to show the main floor. You don't need to hang things on the wall (I don't have anything) but it doesn't look kid friendly. Like where is a book case, or a kitchen center. Maybe even a different paint color on the wall.

like I said before, sometimes we just need to revamp our area and it will be better.
Permantvaca,
This is hands down the BEST reply on the thread.
You need to revamp the space, the photos are absolutely unappealing. Is that your entire outside space? The outside needs a major facelift. Your space has great potential, and I bet many of us would love to help.

You only have one child enrolled right now? How old is he/she? A three to five year old child would make an EXCELLENT consultant. I constantly seek the input of my kids in room arrangement, toy selection, etc. I do think the walls need color and decor. The kids art work can be displayed easily. I use magnetic strips and magnetic clips for that. I don't like the plastic.drawers to store toys, open low shelves are way better for ease of.access. I also don't like the dogs shown on the sofa, its kinda gross if kids use that sofa too. I would mention dogs in your ad, I'm sure they are nice, but the photo is detrimental.
YOU CAN BREATHE NEW LIFE INTO YOUR PROGRAM! You need to let the past go and focus on the future. Those people with the bashing, forget about them, karma has a way of.dealing with them. Mean people suck. Put all your focus on improving your space and new photos and ads. Best wishes and hugs!!
Sugar Magnolia 10:34 AM 10-24-2013

Daycare, can you pm me your website too? I'll send you mine....
daycare 10:45 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I pmed u a while ago!!! I'd love to see it. I need a website
weird, I did not get a PM from you.....
countrymom 10:47 AM 10-24-2013
I found that when I did an overhaul of my rooms I felt so much better, and the kids loved it so much more. Also, the parents that come here love that its calm and clean and organized.
also, I noticed you didn't mention that you have a contract--I found that by mentioning that I have a contract has eliminated the crazies from contacting me.
LaLa1923 11:01 AM 10-24-2013
weird, I did not get a PM from you.....
I sent it in September.

Hello,

I know you've had assistants, I'm very new to this part of the business. . Would you mind sharing your job description? How much would you pay your assistant? Anything else I should know?

I really appreciate it!!
My3cents 11:08 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I may not be a mod anymore, but I'm still going to say--knock it off. None of you actually seem to KNOW Permanentvacation and you need to leave her alone.
When did you stop being a mod? I feel like I blink and I miss everything sometimes.
Familycare71 11:11 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Permantvaca,
You need to revamp the space, the photos are absolutely unappealing. Is that your entire outside space? The outside needs a major facelift. Your space has great potential, and I bet many of us would love to help.

You only have one child enrolled right now? How old is he/she? A three to five year old child would make an EXCELLENT consultant. I constantly seek the input of my kids in room arrangement, toy selection, etc. I do think the walls need color and decor. The kids art work can be displayed easily. I use magnetic strips and magnetic clips for that. I don't like the plastic.drawers to store toys, open low shelves are way better for ease of.access. I also don't like the dogs shown on the sofa, its kinda gross if kids use that sofa too. I would mention dogs in your ad, I'm sure they are nice, but the photo is detrimental.
YOU CAN BREATHE NEW LIFE INTO YOUR PROGRAM! You need to let the past go and focus on the future. Those people with the bashing, forget about them, karma has a way of.dealing with them. Mean people suck. Put all your focus on improving your space and new photos and ads. Best wishes and hugs!!
My3cents 11:11 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
To be honest, I was supposed to hear back from two daycare providers near you and they never called back.

Second, my current provider said she would be fine with keeping him. But she just changed her mind today!!

I am working 15 hour days, but yes, I was going to call and see if you were available. I did notice your ad say 1 and up though...
Lala--- I see a perfect opportunity for you to help out another provider if you want. OP- be ready to listen for help and advice to get you started on your way again and in a better place.

I don't have much comments about the rest of it......shock shock but then again I have not finished reading this.

I see tons of red flags here, tons of love, people being people so I am at a loss right now for words on this other then what I have wrote-

to all
sleepinghart 11:19 AM 10-24-2013
~I forgot to say earlier, but I just wanted to add that I have been flagging the CL ad too(yesterday & today) . ~Also, Idk if this will be any help to you at all permanentvacation, but here is a link to an article entitled "10 Ways to Repair Your Online Reputation" but here it is just in case:

http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/185...on-repair.html

Heidi 11:20 AM 10-24-2013
We were on a field trip this morning, so I missed everything since late yesterday afternoon. Just as well, I think.

Now that I'm caught up, I have to add my 2 cents.

I would take off the old ads, if that's possible. That way, someone looking through won't see one after the other.

Instead of posting your rates, making all the other providers mad because they feel they should dictate them (which is called price fixing and is illegal...ask Tom), I have another idea.

How about you put in your ad "Sliding fee scale". When parents call and ask your rates, tell them "I have a sliding fee scale based on your family income. If you'd like to come for a visit, I can have you fill out an application and I can give you exact numbers. I'm sure we can work it out to make it affordable. Is tomorrow evening at 5 a convenient time for a visit?".

This way, you GET THEM IN THE DOOR to see how wonderful you are first hand, and anyone who doesn't need to know your rates doesn't. If you are on the food program, see if you can use their form. I'm not sure if they'll allow it, but then your dcp's don't have to fill it out 2x. Otherwise, just make a similar one with your own logo (also the same as free and reduced lunch forms).

I would also suggest you tweak your ad, although only because there is so much information there, I only read half. The dog pics I'm 50/50 on. They are cute dogs. The front yard pics I actually thought were cute.

BTW, why can't you use your backyard because it's not fenced, but you CAN use your unfenced front one? That's a weird rule. Wouldn't be the first weird rule. Here, we MUST have a fenced yard of at least 600 sq feet to be licensed. But, we can allow the children to play outside the fenced area. I'm not complaining...we ride bikes or do sidewalk chalk on the driveway. Still, why make me fence at all then?

Last bit of unsolicited input: Get rid of the money-back-guarantee. You'll end up refunding EVERYONE who wants free daycare for a few weeks. If someone brings it up now, tell them that you've reconsidered it, and are no longer offering it. To make up for it, you will offer them a free week of childcare after 6 months. Don't bring it up unless they do, though.

That's all I've got. I'm glad you're getting some kiddos now. Hope your next few interviews go great!
My3cents 11:27 AM 10-24-2013
Lala,

Oh, okay. I just feel that I deserve to at least be given the chance by parents to meet with them and let the parents see for themselves and truly make up their own mind about whether to hire me or not and not just go by the word of others - especially when the 'others' don't even know me.
If I were you, I wouldn't put my rates on a craigslist add. I would schedule an interview and let a client see what your all about. I agree you shouldn't undercut yourself. Esp if your a single parent yourself trying to make ends meet. I think people here are trying to give you good advice and maybe it is time for an update and new start, you can still help others but also help yourself at the same time. Working and having children means that you will end up paying for childcare. Teach others responsibility by charging what your worth for your services. Programs out there to offset the difference for those truly in need, and when you direct people to those services they often are able to get other helps to make their life better if they truly need that help. I also think you got tons of other good advice.

Best-
My3cents 11:43 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Permantvaca,

My3cents 11:46 AM 10-24-2013
I found that when I did an overhaul of my rooms I felt so much better, and the kids loved it so much more. Also, the parents that come here love that its calm and clean and organized.
also, I noticed you didn't mention that you have a contract--I found that by mentioning that I have a contract has eliminated the crazies from contacting me.
I was just wondering about this too.....

Contract, handbook, rulebook, policy book. So many good people on here to help you with this. More food for thought is that when you charge what your worth, and set your policy's and act on them you will get more respect from your clients and potential clients, you come across as more professional and with it. Again don't put your rates in your adds, let the clients call you and make an appointment to come and meet you and see what your all about- Best
permanentvacation 11:53 AM 10-24-2013
I have been asked by a couple of people how I can offer low rates and provide everything for my children. I provide Baby Formula, Baby Food, Meals, Snacks, Milk, Juice, Diapers, Pull-Ups, Wipes, and a Preschool Educational Program.

For years, I only provided meals and an educational program. Then I began having parents that would forget to bring their child's diapers, formula, and drop their child off saying that they forgot their children's items and then they would leave and go to work. That left me here with a child who had a diaper or two for the day, some little bit of formula in the bottom the can, basically no supplies because they FORGOT them and went off to work. Then out of the blue, I would have to call my substitute over and run out to buy the items that the parents forgot to bring. After a few times of that, I decided it was less stress on me if I just bought it and knew that I was fully stocked at all times myself. So, that's the reason that I provide everything.

The way I afford it is by writing everything off. Yes, I have to pay for it upfront, but I also write it off as business expenses. I buy the store brand and I buy both diapers and wipes by the case. That saves a little money. By writing off everything, in the end, it pretty much balances out.

The preschool educational program: I use a lot of hands-on items that are reusable for the course of many years. Such as the plastic counting teddy bears, puzzles, games, beads with letters on them that you put on a string. They are made to last for years, so they are in just a good of shape today as they were years ago when I first bought them. These things I bought years ago and are not a continuous expense for me.

I also bought my curriculum books a couple of years ago. I mix a couple of ideas from the different curriculum books and create my own curriculum. I used to buy a boxed curriculum. But that was fairly expensive and it was more of a cookie cut type curriculum. I played around for a while with creating my own curriculum and found that it is much less expensive, and I can gear it and tweak it to match my current children's interests and abilities much better than buying some pre-made curriculum. So, my curriculum really just costs the price of paints, glue, paper, crayons, and things like that which are fairly inexpensive.

Also, no one really knows my expenses. And not that it is anyone's business, but since so many are concerned with my income and expenses, I will answer your questions as to how I can afford to do what I do on low rates. First of all, I typically run with 6 to 8 kids (When I had to close for surgery, I had 7 daycare kids) at $80-$120/week and am on the food program which with 8 kids, pays me about $200/week. So lets say I have 8 kids at $80/wk, that give me $640/week and then add the $200/week food program on, I would make $840/week. (Now, lets look at this on the low end. Lets say I offer care at only $50/week and only have 4 kids. That's $200/week plus $100/week from the food program. Which totals $300/week. That is still a little over what a typical employee working at a retail job brings home. They make an average of $8/hour times typically max of 35 hours/week which totals a gross of $280/week! Yeah, I'd rather offer lower daycare rates and bring in $300/week than have to work at a retail job all day long to bring in a gross of $280.)Then, I also go to college and get loan money from that, and my ex-husband pays me child support which covers my house payment. If I need him to, he will pay other household bills for me. For example, he paid my all of my bills for me when I was off work for surgery. I pretty much just covered the gasoline in my car (which by the way he gave me a couple of years ago and is completely paid off) and I paid for things like toiletries. He also pays for anything my children need - shoes, clothes, money for going to the movies, pizza for sleepovers, etc. So, not that it is anyone's business, and I certainly don't see anyone else laying out their personal/business income and expenses here, but there you go. That's how I can afford to live off my income - with help from college loans and the ex.

Why does the ex pay for things for me that most exes wouldn't pay for and why do I let him? Probably because we both know that he is the reason we are divorced - he did a few things wrong in the marriage and wasn't the best husband or father. I think being the financial provider is the only way he knows how to be a husband or father and I think he's trying to make up for past mistakes by doing the only thing he knows how. I let him because I would rather be home taking care of my personal children than leaving them home alone and having to take on 2 or 3 jobs. Allowing him to help pay for things has allowed me to be home with my children to monitor them and parent them rather then leave them at home all evening /weekend while I worked. He and I have discussed me working more to relieve him of paying some of my bills. But we both would rather that I be here for our kids and him provide financially whatever we as a family need above what I receive as income from one job.

However, in a couple of years, after my youngest (now 15 1/2 ) is 18, he will not be willing to help me, and I am fine with that. So, I have about 2 years to get my ducks in a row to be able to not need to lean on him financially. Which is partly why I have started going to college for accounting. So by the time he stops helping me, I will have a college degree in accounting which will hopefully help me raise my income. I also have been for a few years slowly working towards earning my degree in Early Childhood Education. I keep thinking that I should speed the Early Childhood Education classes up so that by the time my daughter's 18, I could have both degrees! Oh, and I take my Early Childhood Education classes through Penn Foster Online College. You never have to leave home and go to a college. I am earning my Accounting degree through Baltimore County Community College and am doing my best to take as many classes as possible online. So I am home even though for my children even though I am working towards both degrees. I typically begin my schoolwork at 9pm (that's when my daughter goes to bed and household is completely quiet. I have no distractions from children, the phone, or my dog!). I finish my schoolwork typically around 1 am. Then get up at 6:30am to get ready for daycare. Of course, I work on my schoolwork throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday, I also try to go to church - not as often as I should, but I try to get to church every couple of weeks.

So, there you go, there's my life in a nutshell.

So, that's how and why I provide what I provide on a low income level.
My3cents 11:54 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
We were on a field trip this morning, so I missed everything since late yesterday afternoon. Just as well, I think.

I would take off the old ads, if that's possible. That way, someone looking through won't see one after the other.

Instead of posting your rates, making all the other providers mad because they feel they should dictate them (which is called price fixing and is illegal...ask Tom), I have another idea.

How about you put in your ad "Sliding fee scale". When parents call and ask your rates, tell them "I have a sliding fee scale based on your family income. If you'd like to come for a visit, I can have you fill out an application and I can give you exact numbers. I'm sure we can work it out to make it affordable. Is tomorrow evening at 5 a convenient time for a visit?".

This way, you GET THEM IN THE DOOR to see how wonderful you are first hand, and anyone who doesn't need to know your rates doesn't. If you are on the food program, see if you can use their form. I'm not sure if they'll allow it, but then your dcp's don't have to fill it out 2x. Otherwise, just make a similar one with your own logo (also the same as free and reduced lunch forms).

I would also suggest you tweak your ad, although only because there is so much information there, I only read half. The dog pics I'm 50/50 on. They are cute dogs. The front yard pics I actually thought were cute.

BTW, why can't you use your backyard because it's not fenced, but you CAN use your unfenced front one? That's a weird rule. Wouldn't be the first weird rule. Here, we MUST have a fenced yard of at least 600 sq feet to be licensed. But, we can allow the children to play outside the fenced area. I'm not complaining...we ride bikes or do sidewalk chalk on the driveway. Still, why make me fence at all then?

Last bit of unsolicited input: Get rid of the money-back-guarantee. You'll end up refunding EVERYONE who wants free daycare for a few weeks. If someone brings it up now, tell them that you've reconsidered it, and are no longer offering it. To make up for it, you will offer them a free week of childcare after 6 months. Don't bring it up unless they do, though.

That's all I've got. I'm glad you're getting some kiddos now. Hope your next few interviews go great!
I only have so many slots/spaces that I am allowed to have so I need to have a reliable dependable income so that I can do what I do- I would not offer a sliding fee. I would assess each client as the need came upon, but would set my fees to be in line with what everyone else is charging and take into consideration what your worth and what you need to run your program.
I would never offer free daycare- I work to hard to give free. I take that back. I do offer a free night out to the parents around Christmas but that is a gift from me to them not really free. I agree with the poster that said when you set your rates way low it effects other providers. Help out individuals as the need comes to your attention when it comes to your attention and only if you can afford to yourself.

Good luck-
permanentvacation 12:01 PM 10-24-2013
Many of you are do not live in my area and do not know the general population's income level here. This is a very diverse area with many people who are barely making it financially. Yes, they can get on vouchers. But I have no desire to take vouchers. I'd rather make less money and get cash in hand than wait for weeks/months to get paid. Sometimes only to find out weeks later that you will not be paid by the vouchers because the parent didn't fill out some paperwork. Meanwhile, you have been watching her children and apparently will not be paid for your services. I had that happen. So I decided cash in hand works for me rather than vouchers.

I think that each child, no matter what their parent makes as income, deserves a good, loving, safe, quality, educational, fun place to go for childcare. I don't see anything wrong with having daycare rates that are diverse to match the population's diverse income brackets.
permanentvacation 12:07 PM 10-24-2013
My front yard does have a fence. If you look at my Craigslist post from October 18th you will see a pic with the front fence. But showing the fence made it harder to see the items. So I took the pic of the fence out of my ads after that.
Heidi 12:18 PM 10-24-2013
My front yard does have a fence. If you look at my Craigslist post from October 18th you will see a pic with the front fence. But showing the fence made it harder to see the items. So I took the pic of the fence out of my ads after that.
Oh, ok! Makes sense. I just looked at one ad.

So, how do you think it would work to advertise "sliding fee scale"?

I totally get what you're saying about your area. I lived in a similar neighborhood in Madison. Very diverse culturally, lots of single and low income families. My sister still lives there, and has been providing daycare for 23 years there now.

I think it's kind that you're offering lower rates for people who can't afford more. The only thing I'd change is how you go about it. IF YOU WANT TO! This way, people don't easily take advantage, and you don't piss off the other hens in the henhouse.
Michelle 12:24 PM 10-24-2013
I have been asked by a couple of people how I can offer low rates and provide everything for my children. I provide Baby Formula, Baby Food, Meals, Snacks, Milk, Juice, Diapers, Pull-Ups, Wipes, and a Preschool Educational Program.

For years, I only provided meals and an educational program. Then I began having parents that would forget to bring their child's diapers, formula, and drop their child off saying that they forgot their children's items and then they would leave and go to work. That left me here with a child who had a diaper or two for the day, some little bit of formula in the bottom the can, basically no supplies because they FORGOT them and went off to work. Then out of the blue, I would have to call my substitute over and run out to buy the items that the parents forgot to bring. After a few times of that, I decided it was less stress on me if I just bought it and knew that I was fully stocked at all times myself. So, that's the reason that I provide everything.

The way I afford it is by writing everything off. Yes, I have to pay for it upfront, but I also write it off as business expenses. I buy the store brand and I buy both diapers and wipes by the case. That saves a little money. By writing off everything, in the end, it pretty much balances out.

The preschool educational program: I use a lot of hands-on items that are reusable for the course of many years. Such as the plastic counting teddy bears, puzzles, games, beads with letters on them that you put on a string. They are made to last for years, so they are in just a good of shape today as they were years ago when I first bought them. These things I bought years ago and are not a continuous expense for me.

I also bought my curriculum books a couple of years ago. I mix a couple of ideas from the different curriculum books and create my own curriculum. I used to buy a boxed curriculum. But that was fairly expensive and it was more of a cookie cut type curriculum. I played around for a while with creating my own curriculum and found that it is much less expensive, and I can gear it and tweak it to match my current children's interests and abilities much better than buying some pre-made curriculum. So, my curriculum really just costs the price of paints, glue, paper, crayons, and things like that which are fairly inexpensive.

Also, no one really knows my expenses. And not that it is anyone's business, but since so many are concerned with my income and expenses, I will answer your questions as to how I can afford to do what I do on low rates. First of all, I typically run with 6 to 8 kids (When I had to close for surgery, I had 7 daycare kids) at $80-$120/week and am on the food program which with 8 kids, pays me about $200/week. So lets say I have 8 kids at $80/wk, that give me $640/week and then add the $200/week food program on, I would make $840/week. (Now, lets look at this on the low end. Lets say I offer care at only $50/week and only have 4 kids. That's $200/week plus $100/week from the food program. Which totals $300/week. That is still a little over what a typical employee working at a retail job brings home. They make an average of $8/hour times typically max of 35 hours/week which totals a gross of $280/week! Yeah, I'd rather offer lower daycare rates and bring in $300/week than have to work at a retail job all day long to bring in a gross of $280.)Then, I also go to college and get loan money from that, and my ex-husband pays me child support which covers my house payment. If I need him to, he will pay other household bills for me. For example, he paid my all of my bills for me when I was off work for surgery. I pretty much just covered the gasoline in my car (which by the way he gave me a couple of years ago and is completely paid off) and I paid for things like toiletries. He also pays for anything my children need - shoes, clothes, money for going to the movies, pizza for sleepovers, etc. So, not that it is anyone's business, and I certainly don't see anyone else laying out their personal/business income and expenses here, but there you go. That's how I can afford to live off my income - with help from college loans and the ex.

Why does the ex pay for things for me that most exes wouldn't pay for and why do I let him? Probably because we both know that he is the reason we are divorced - he did a few things wrong in the marriage and wasn't the best husband or father. I think being the financial provider is the only way he knows how to be a husband or father and I think he's trying to make up for past mistakes by doing the only thing he knows how. I let him because I would rather be home taking care of my personal children than leaving them home alone and having to take on 2 or 3 jobs. Allowing him to help pay for things has allowed me to be home with my children to monitor them and parent them rather then leave them at home all evening /weekend while I worked. He and I have discussed me working more to relieve him of paying some of my bills. But we both would rather that I be here for our kids and him provide financially whatever we as a family need above what I receive as income from one job.

However, in a couple of years, after my youngest (now 15 1/2 ) is 18, he will not be willing to help me, and I am fine with that. So, I have about 2 years to get my ducks in a row to be able to not need to lean on him financially. Which is partly why I have started going to college for accounting. So by the time he stops helping me, I will have a college degree in accounting which will hopefully help me raise my income. I also have been for a few years slowly working towards earning my degree in Early Childhood Education. I keep thinking that I should speed the Early Childhood Education classes up so that by the time my daughter's 18, I could have both degrees! Oh, and I take my Early Childhood Education classes through Penn Foster Online College. You never have to leave home and go to a college. I am earning my Accounting degree through Baltimore County Community College and am doing my best to take as many classes as possible online. So I am home even though for my children even though I am working towards both degrees. I typically begin my schoolwork at 9pm (that's when my daughter goes to bed and household is completely quiet. I have no distractions from children, the phone, or my dog!). I finish my schoolwork typically around 1 am. Then get up at 6:30am to get ready for daycare. Of course, I work on my schoolwork throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday, I also try to go to church - not as often as I should, but I try to get to church every couple of weeks.

So, there you go, there's my life in a nutshell.

So, that's how and why I provide what I provide on a low income level.
Sweetie.. you are doing an awesome job and you are a good person and provider.
You do not have to explain yourself to anyone.
I heard a good saying from a pastor a few years ago."Chew the meat and spit out the bones"
Some advice you got such as changing your ad about the refund if not satisfied is very good advice.
The kids in your pictures look happy and well taken care of.
Big Hugs!!!
and God bless your tender heart for helping low income families

Childminder 12:31 PM 10-24-2013
I checked out the craigslist ads by you and agree that you have saturated the market with way too many postings. I'm certain you have heard the saying "Less is More"? Fine tune your postings, get the wording down to the basics, edit your photos to just a couple of the better ones ( I did not see one single "happy face"), clean up the areas and make everything pristine (personally I would not contact you because of the unkempt look in general and would not want my child going to a daycare that allows pets free range), and by all means be consistent with every ad (it was very confusing and fly by night)!

Good luck to you and consider the advice you have received from this thread it will prove invaluable.
LaLa1923 12:57 PM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
Lala--- I see a perfect opportunity for you to help out another provider if you want. OP- be ready to listen for help and advice to get you started on your way again and in a better place.

I don't have much comments about the rest of it......shock shock but then again I have not finished reading this.

I see tons of red flags here, tons of love, people being people so I am at a loss right now for words on this other then what I have wrote-

to all
I'd be happy to help in any way I can!!
permanentvacation 01:03 PM 10-24-2013
Actually, I'm not that worried about the other hens in the hen house. I am worried about taking care of myself and my household. I have often had the 'normal rates'. But when times are tough, I will lower my rates to keep afloat and then raise my rates as times (the economy, or in my current situation, re-opening) get better.

I know my ads have been 'fly by night' lately, but I have been brainstorming and offering different things until I get bites. I finally got the calls that I need!

The past couple of ads have worked. In the past week, I have filled both my baby spaces and 2 of my toddler spaces. Yes, their rates are at a discount for the 1st month, but it is a total income that I can live off of and in a month, my income will increase a bit. I have 2 more spaces that I am willing to offer at a discounted rate. The last 2 spaces, I will keep (most likely) until I can get the 'going rate' for them.
sleepinghart 01:12 PM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:

~You know, when I was in Baltimore's 'Childcare'(CL's) section browsing through the listings, I noticed that none of them that I personally viewed had their rates posted at all. Now, please don't get me wrong, I didn't have time to go over all eleventy million of them so I'm just going by all the ones I clicked on and the very opposite could be true.......but it was a good many. Idk if anyone else noticed that or even thought anything of it at all, but probably not, seeing as that it's not particularly relevant I don't guess.

--ETA-- Nevermind- I see My3cents mentioned something along these lines already. ....Sorry !
Unregistered 11:15 AM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
((hugs)) for having to deal with this.

Sadly, this is a common event when clients get told no. ANYTIME clients don't get their way, it seems they will badmouth the provider.

Other than taking legal action and demanding that they stop badmouthing you, there isn't a lot you can do as people are free to voice their opinions.

On the up side though when people gossip about you, they are saying far more about their own integrity than they are about you...kwim?

I would hold my head up high, continue advertising and continue doing the best job you can. Be proud of who and what you are and never mind the naysayers...

I am sure you have a ton of references that are MORE than happy to defend you!

These parents are going to continue experiencing the same cycle over and over because they are refusing to take any responsibility in this. There is plenty they could have changed and didn't so instead they take the cheap way and just blame the provider....

Hang in there...

and welcome back to the daycare world!
THAT depends. If the badmouthing includes them saying untruths, that's slander and/or libel (depending if they just say or if they also write). I would definitely keep an eye on this.
mrsnj 03:36 PM 10-26-2013
Flagged BAM!

As someone who dealt with that on FB I can so sympathize
permanentvacation 04:31 AM 10-28-2013
mrsnj,

Thank you.
coolconfidentme 07:41 AM 10-28-2013
Just happened to me too...
permanentvacation 09:31 AM 10-28-2013
Coolconfidentme,

I just saw your post about it. Yeah, I guess it happens to a few of us on occasion. I called my lawyer the first day I saw their post, but he said there was nothing I can do. They have freedom of speech. I had surgery a few months ago and was basically closed for months because of it. I am just opening back up from the surgery and really need kids! So I was extremely upset about the family badmouthing me at first.

After their post badmouthing me, since they said that the kids are not allowed to play all day, I started posting ads with lots of pics of the kids playing to prove that the kids do play here! Many of the providers on this forum flagged their post for me. The family seems to have stopped posting about me. I also made a point to bring up their post about me on my interviews so I could explain my side of the story. Every one of the interviews completely understood my side of the story and hired me! Actually, I had MORE calls than usual after their post and had 4 people hire me in one week!! So, the badmouther actually helped my business!! The badmouthers mentioned my name a few times, which apparently helped me get my name known and it made other daycare providers talk about me to parents that called them looking for daycare, which made those parents curious about me! So they called me, scheduled interviews, and hired me!! LOL!! I was highly upset when the family first started posting about me, but in the end, it actually helped me!

Sorry you are going through this. But maybe, it will help you get noticed and hired more like it did for me.
coolconfidentme 06:05 PM 10-28-2013
Coolconfidentme,

I just saw your post about it. Yeah, I guess it happens to a few of us on occasion. I called my lawyer the first day I saw their post, but he said there was nothing I can do. They have freedom of speech. I had surgery a few months ago and was basically closed for months because of it. I am just opening back up from the surgery and really need kids! So I was extremely upset about the family badmouthing me at first.

After their post badmouthing me, since they said that the kids are not allowed to play all day, I started posting ads with lots of pics of the kids playing to prove that the kids do play here! Many of the providers on this forum flagged their post for me. The family seems to have stopped posting about me. I also made a point to bring up their post about me on my interviews so I could explain my side of the story. Every one of the interviews completely understood my side of the story and hired me! Actually, I had MORE calls than usual after their post and had 4 people hire me in one week!! So, the badmouther actually helped my business!! The badmouthers mentioned my name a few times, which apparently helped me get my name known and it made other daycare providers talk about me to parents that called them looking for daycare, which made those parents curious about me! So they called me, scheduled interviews, and hired me!! LOL!! I was highly upset when the family first started posting about me, but in the end, it actually helped me!

Sorry you are going through this. But maybe, it will help you get noticed and hired more like it did for me.
I had two calls from it today & one hired me...
permanentvacation 10:58 AM 10-29-2013
Coolconfidentme,

Yep, see, I'm sure you will be okay. I freaked out at first, but then I realized that the badmouthers were actually helping me!! Thanks to them, my spaces have filled up quickly and I only have a couple of spaces left to fill now!

I really do appreciate everyone on this forum flagging the badmouther's posts on craigslist. I truly was upset and even though I realized that they actually helped me get my name out there, I still don't want negative comments being said about my business.
Tags:complaint - false
1 2
Reply Up