Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Think?
Country Kids 09:59 PM 12-02-2011
OK, new situation for me, not sure what to do. Came to my friends to help me mull it over and see if I can work this out.

Received a call from a friend, helping a co-worker find childcare. I told her I was full, gave her the number for CCR&R and told her how they work. I wasn't really thinking because I was distracted by a child.

From what I'm thinking I may be able to work it out. I really need to talk to the parents though and see what their schedule is-I'm thinking its full time.

So here is what I have so far-

full-time child=M-F
full-time child=M-F (will be going M-Th for a few weeks due to cutback at work)
Full-time child=M-Th
Part-time child=M-W (Once in awhile a Friday)
Preschool only-Comes in the Mornings Monday-Thursday (Leaves by 11:30//12:00)

Drop in child=Love this child to death and would love, love, love her to be full-time. The room lights up when she walks in. Parent works with a varying schedule and never knows if they will need me. Usually comes for afternoon care-11:30.

Would it be wrong if I talked to the parents and see what they are looking for with childcare-schedule, preschool/not preschool, comfortable with transporting, etc. If they are a good fit and seem interested, talk to the mom of the drop in child about her schedule.

I was thinking about letting her know that I love watching her child and want to keep her on but would only be able to definetly watch her after 11:30. Sometimes she needs me earlier and it wouldn't work for me if I take this other child.

I would also need to talk to the mom of the preschool only child and let her know that Mon-Wed I would need her child picked up by 11:30 for sure if I have the drop in child coming.

Something in the back of my head keeps nagging me saying just leave everything the way it is and take no more. You won't have to juggle schedules that way. The other part says it would be a full-time child and with college coming up for one child, trying to get all bills paid off, and live only on cash, it would help alot right now.

Decisions like this are never easy!
CheekyChick 06:50 AM 12-03-2011
If you need the money, you should deifnitely tighten up your schedule to make it work for a new little one. You're running a business and your parents (should) understand that to accommodate new families, you may not be able to be as flexible as you have been in the past.

It will work out.
Pammie 06:58 AM 12-03-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Would it be wrong if I talked to the parents and see what they are looking for with childcare-schedule, preschool/not preschool, comfortable with transporting, etc. If they are a good fit and seem interested, talk to the mom of the drop in child about her schedule.
I don't think it would be wrong just to talk to the new mom and find out exactly what she's looking for - and how comfortable she would be with your program. If a good fit and a full time client - then Yay

Your priority is your business, and maximizing your income. Sounds like a full time client would help meet that goal. You could always tell your drop-in/part-time clients that you need to maximize your income - and with them taking full-time spots, you're unable to fill the days/ half-days that they're not with you.

Give them the option to:
**Pay for a full-time spot and use it whenever they wish.
**Work their schedule around when you have availability if they want to keep paying for part-time.
**Take two weeks to find other care.

It sounds like you really like your part-time families, and that's wonderful, but unpaid spaces on your roster don't add to a college fund
Crazy8 11:37 AM 12-04-2011
How many kids are you allowed?? 5 or 6??

I don't think it could hurt to talk to them. I have said it before - I actually can MAXIMIZE my income by taking part timers (but I don't do part days - only full days). I have a grid for all 5 of my spots and the 5 days a week and fill them in with who's contracted for when - then I can see my "holes" and know what I can fill. Doing that with your group it looks like your preschooler and your drop in need to "share" a spot - I would make them stick to set hours, one picks up by 11:30, the other can't come till at least 11:30. Unless of course they'd rather pay for a full time spot, but I deal with so many part timers BECAUSE they don't want to pay for full time daycare.

But if you only have 5 spots it still doesn't look like you'd have the openings M-W, so I'm guessing you have 6 spots available??? If that's the case you could add another full timer no problem.
cheerfuldom 06:29 AM 12-05-2011
I say, at least talk to this new mom and see what she needs. I also would not essentially hold a full time spot for a drop in child.
Country Kids 01:30 PM 12-05-2011
Thank you all soooooo much! I knew coming here would help. Everyone put what I was thinking. My husband said the same thing but you know, sometimes you need a little proding.

Told my friend to give them my number and I can talk to them seeing what they need. If I don't here from them, wasn't meant to be. If I hear from them but something doesn't work with scheduling or something, wasn't meant to be.
Tags:full time, schedule
Reply Up