Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holiday Days Closed
Jdy2222 04:48 PM 11-24-2017
I'm curious ... Do you all typically take off more than just Dec. 25th and Jan 1st - given that this year Christmas Eve and New Years Eve are on weekends?

I'd really like to take off the Dec 26th and perhaps Jan 2nd, but not sure what businesses do those days (haven't asked my families yet if they'll need care).
Leigh 05:29 PM 11-24-2017
Originally Posted by Jdy2222:
I'm curious ... Do you all typically take off more than just Dec. 25th and Jan 1st - given that this year Christmas Eve and New Years Eve are on weekends?

I'd really like to take off the Dec 26th and perhaps Jan 2nd, but not sure what businesses do those days (haven't asked my families yet if they'll need care).
I'll be taking the 26th and 2nd, as those are the days that my parents have off work, too.
storybookending 08:01 PM 11-24-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I'll be taking the 26th and 2nd, as those are the days that my parents have off work, too.
This year I am taking the 26th off in place of Christmas Eve being on a Sunday. I take off New Years Day as well. I’m not too concerned about New Years Eve being a Sunday as I would probably be working that day if it weren’t a weekend. It is not one of my contracted days off. Schools are back in session here on the 2nd already so I’ll be back on as normal.
Blackcat31 07:41 AM 11-25-2017
I’m closed Dec 21-Jan 1
Paid
Jupadia 12:11 PM 11-25-2017
I'm taking off the 25, 26 and 1. Here (Ontario canada) They are holidays so it's the same as most other places so none of the parents have a problem. I also close at 12pm on Christmas eve if it falls on a weekday.

I can see myself in other years closing some days to fill the gap between the weekend and the 25 and 26.
ColorfulSunburst 01:32 PM 11-25-2017
I'm closed Dec25-Jan1. Paid.
Annalee 03:00 PM 11-25-2017
I am closed Dec. 22-Jan 3....with pay as well
Lil_Diddle 08:59 PM 11-25-2017
I close Christmas Eve to New Year's Day every year. It's in my handbook and that is one point I make sure parents are aware of when we meet for the first time. One thing I have learned is do not plan your days around what works for them. Make your plans, give them plenty of notice and enjoy your time off. You deserve it
Annalee 11:22 AM 11-26-2017
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
I close Christmas Eve to New Year's Day every year. It's in my handbook and that is one point I make sure parents are aware of when we meet for the first time. One thing I have learned is do not plan your days around what works for them. Make your plans, give them plenty of notice and enjoy your time off. You deserve it

LysesKids 05:12 AM 11-27-2017
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
Exactly... I'm off Dec 25-Jan 1st this year; I plan my days off for me, it's up to families to make sure they have a back up plan. All families are given the days off notice when they interview & the updated first week of January for the ENTIRE next year... no reason they can't plan when they have the year in advance.
BumbleBee 05:57 AM 11-27-2017
I take off Dec 25th - Jan 1st every year. Don't really care who it affects. I also take off a week in July. Again, don't really care who it affects. Everybody gets the closing schedule by Jan 30th so their lack of planning is not my problem.
NeedaVaca 05:59 AM 11-27-2017
I'm off Dec 25-Jan 5 paid. Dec 25, 26 and Jan 1,2 are paid holidays, the rest are paid vacation days.
amberrose3dg 06:11 AM 11-27-2017
I always give ample notice of when I am closed.
I am also closed the 22nd through the 3rd.
Close when you need it.
I had several families complain to me this morning they had to spend time with their kids since I was closed Wed-Fri last week.
LysesKids 11:24 AM 11-27-2017
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
I always give ample notice of when I am closed.
I am also closed the 22nd through the 3rd.
Close when you need it.
I had several families complain to me this morning they had to spend time with their kids since I was closed Wed-Fri last week.
Dang... My families loved playing with their kids, but then all but one was the first Thanksgiving for the babes (remember I do under 24 months only)... Sorry you were ill, but we will do lunch next time I'm up there; probably June next year
Mom2Two 12:03 PM 11-27-2017
I'm closing for Thurs, 22nd thru Tues, 26th. Not paid.

My contract says that I close for three separate weeks each year, as well as fed holidays, the Friday after Thanksgiving, and the day after Christmas. I just know that I really need those break to recharge.

I just give enough notice on which days I'm choosing to close.
AmyKidsCo 08:29 PM 11-27-2017
My contract states that I'm closed between Christmas and New Year - specific dates TBA. This year stinks because the holidays are on weekends.
CityGarden 08:42 PM 11-27-2017
Thursday December 22 is 1/2 day.

I am closed Monday December 25th - Friday January 5th all paid and follow the local school district calendar.
amberrose3dg 03:44 AM 11-28-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Dang... My families loved playing with their kids, but then all but one was the first Thanksgiving for the babes (remember I do under 24 months only)... Sorry you were ill, but we will do lunch next time I'm up there; probably June next year
I still feel like total crap. I guess it is back to the dr for me today.
I have a couple of the infant families that are like that.
The other family I think are overwhelmed with the two year old and infant. They had planned to send the kids IF I was open.
Blackcat31 07:22 AM 11-28-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
My contract states that I'm closed between Christmas and New Year - specific dates TBA. This year stinks because the holidays are on weekends.
I worded my contract to says "Provider will take up to 7 days of vacation time over the Christmas holiday. Dates will be provided in advance each year"

I figure that covers the weird way holiday dates work some times.

Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
I still feel like total crap. I guess it is back to the dr for me today.
I have a couple of the infant families that are like that.
The other family I think are overwhelmed with the two year old and infant. They had planned to send the kids IF I was open.
There is this weird fundamental change that happens within a family upon the birth of the second child.

I can't explain it but it's there.

It changes a family at it's core. I've seen golden families rust within days and super organized OCD type parents turn into frazzled walking messes that have no idea what day it is.

It's kind of like the Bermuda Triangle.... there is just no way to explain it.
amberrose3dg 09:43 AM 11-28-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I worded my contract to says "Provider will take up to 7 days of vacation time over the Christmas holiday. Dates will be provided in advance each year"

I figure that covers the weird way holiday dates work some times.

There is this weird fundamental change that happens within a family upon the birth of the second child.

I can't explain it but it's there.

It changes a family at it's core. I've seen golden families rust within days and super organized OCD type parents turn into frazzled walking messes that have no idea what day it is.

It's kind of like the Bermuda Triangle.... there is just no way to explain it.
Yes! They are usually my family that follows rules and are just one of the better families to deal with. Keep in mind this is two parent family, both work the exact same place, exact same schedule. They have even brought the two year old in yesterday's clothes or pajamas.
I am starting to worry about them a little bit.
Unregistered 06:25 PM 11-28-2017
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
I'm closed Dec25-Jan1. Paid.
Me too. 24th-1st, closed and paid.
HappyEverAfter 06:30 PM 11-28-2017
I am closed day after Christmas. Looking forward to my long weekend! I am closed on New Year's Day as well.
Unregistered 05:17 PM 12-13-2017
we are closed from 12/25/2017 until 01/01/2018 not paid I just give notice i feel a little bit bad but, we truly need this break parents have to understand that they get breaks and we are keeping their kids when there are on vacation they never tell us so now its our time.
charail 05:22 PM 12-13-2017
we are closed from 12/25/2017 until 01/01/2018 not paid but parents need to understand that we need this break how many of your parents take a vacation and never tell us okay now its our time I do feel a little bit bad but we really need this more than they'll ever know.
Tags:closed for the holidays, paid holidays
Reply Up