Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>MN Child Care Emergency Plan
Rainbow 11:52 AM 08-17-2018
I know this requirement came out a little while ago, but I didn't know about it until I was going through my re-licensing paperwork.

Maybe it is just me, but every time I look at it, I think to myself: Do I seriously have to give my daycare parents a copy of this 6 page emergency plan that looks more like some sort of application/questionnaire than a useful run down of what parents actually need to know, in case of an emergency?

I think the form is perfectly appropriate for me to fill out for licensing-not so much to give to parents. Maybe a 1 or 2 page summary specifically for parents that tells them the important stuff and omits the rest. Any one else feel this way?
Snowmom 12:19 PM 08-17-2018
Yes, I think it is a ridiculous requirement.

I don't mind putting my thoughts into words when it comes to figuring out what I'd do in certain situations. I think the exercise of it in itself is useful.
But, yes, it feels like a "big brother" kind of way of saying DHS is the boss of me.

I posted a PDF link to it on my website and told my parents that it was there. That was the extent of how involved I got with it. It's had ZERO page views and it's been there 6 months.
Michael 12:44 PM 08-17-2018
Can you upload the PDF here? If not, would you email it to us at director@daycare.com ?
Snowmom 12:52 PM 08-17-2018
The link to the form is here:
https://mn.gov/dhs/assets/ChildCareE...053-317028.pdf
Blackcat31 01:05 PM 08-17-2018
Originally Posted by Rainbow:
I know this requirement came out a little while ago, but I didn't know about it until I was going through my re-licensing paperwork.

Maybe it is just me, but every time I look at it, I think to myself: Do I seriously have to give my daycare parents a copy of this 6 page emergency plan that looks more like some sort of application/questionnaire than a useful run down of what parents actually need to know, in case of an emergency?

I think the form is perfectly appropriate for me to fill out for licensing-not so much to give to parents. Maybe a 1 or 2 page summary specifically for parents that tells them the important stuff and omits the rest. Any one else feel this way?
I filled it out only once as a .pdf and then e-mailed the .pdf form to each parent (both mom/dad even if in same household) and then had them all reply back to me via e-mail that they received the info. I printed off the e-mail and put it in the child's file. My licensor said proof of sharing met the requirement.
Pestle 02:31 PM 08-17-2018
I'll see your six pages and raise you 19.

Oops; sorry. That was just the guide to creating a written plan. If that's too complicated, here's a simpler guide in checklist form; it's 5 pages longer. It dedicates two paragraphs to dealing with exposure to bats.

Immanent threat of bats aside, we periodically get tornadoes tearing through the region, and there are nuclear power plants all throughout the Tennessee Valley as well, so the types of disasters that merit sheltering in place also merit this emergency plan.
Blackcat31 02:43 PM 08-17-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I'll see your six pages and raise you 19.

Oops; sorry. That was just the guide to creating a written plan. If that's too complicated, here's a simpler guide in checklist form; it's 5 pages longer. It dedicates two paragraphs to dealing with exposure to bats.

Immanent threat of bats aside, we periodically get tornadoes tearing through the region, and there are nuclear power plants all throughout the Tennessee Valley as well, so the types of disasters that merit sheltering in place also merit this emergency plan.
We are stuck with the form Snowmom posted.

MN State law requires the following providers to use this form to create an emergency preparedness plan: (1)
licensed child care centers (Minn. Stat. 245A.41, Subd. 3), (2) licensed family child care providers (Minn. Stat. 245A.51, Subd. 3), and (3) certified child care centers (Minn. Stat. 245H.15).
Pestle 02:46 PM 08-17-2018
I envy you MN providers. TN generated 43 pages of "guidelines" and still wants us to make our own dang plan.

I hope that, somewhere out there, somebody has made an emergency plan that's seven pages on dealing with bats and a single paragraph for everything else.
LysesKids 03:55 PM 08-17-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I envy you MN providers. TN generated 43 pages of "guidelines" and still wants us to make our own dang plan.

I hope that, somewhere out there, somebody has made an emergency plan that's seven pages on dealing with bats and a single paragraph for everything else.
You know, the whole time I've lived here never saw a bat, but we did have a coyote roaming the neighborhood 2 months ago. It took animal control 48 hrs to catch it (next street over). Not a fun time because I had to keep my babies inside. Now if someone would do something about the rooster on the farm behind our houses lol
Annalee 06:11 PM 08-17-2018
Tennessee does have lots of things to consider such as the info in a previous post but providers are allowed to develop their own emergency plan for parents to sign. I have a two-page summary that is acceptable for licensing. I sign a form each year for my licenser that nothing has changed and my plan has been initially approved by a member of the local emergency management team.
Tags:emergency plan, hazardous protection plan, minnesota - requirements
Reply Up