Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terming Siblings? One Or Both?
daycare 12:15 PM 04-15-2011
SO I am going to term my DCB that refuses to consume liquids while here and producing zero wet diapers throught out the day.

After long talks with the food program and parents, I have decided taht I need to protect my business. Because the second something medically goes wrong with this child, I am going to be a fault for it. Something along the line of kidney infection/shut down, dehydration, or heat exhaustion.

The DCB has a sister that is here and it just sucks that I am going to have to term both when I term the other one...

How do you guys handle this type of situation? Do you say because I am terming one I have to let the other go as well??

I have never had to term a child that had a sibling attending.
Zoe 12:27 PM 04-15-2011
I had a friend who's daycare lady took on her new baby and was watching her 2 year old as well. After a week, she just couldn't handle taking care of the infant and gave her a notice for the baby. She was willing to keep the 2 year old, she just needed my friend to find alternate care for the baby.

I think if you want to keep the sibling, you could always offer to do so, but be prepared for the parents to want both of their children to be in the same daycare. They might also be the kind of family that get defensive and angry at the termination so they'll pull the other child anyway.

My point is that it isn't unheard of to term one child. However you will more than likely lose the other one unless things go very smoothly.
Blackcat31 12:27 PM 04-15-2011
I would think that you are technically terming the whole family.

Instead of terming this boy, couldn't you have some sort of written journal/documentation that states what the child ate or drank each day and have parents sign off on it as proof that you are doing what you are capable of doing and use that written documentation to prevent any liability on your part? Especially since you seem to be actively working with the parents in this matter.
daycare 12:46 PM 04-15-2011
Problem is the parents aren't working with me and could care less that he won't drink. It's too much of a liability fo me. I'm not going to wait until something bad happens.
I have already tried the method you mentioned
Blackcat31 12:48 PM 04-15-2011
I'd definately be say "Bye-bye" then because if they don't care then I would not want the liability either. Sorry it has to come to this but you gotta do what is right for you.
Symphony 12:50 PM 04-15-2011
I have termed one and not the other before. Luckily, the one I let go was a great fit at the daycare across the street from me. It wasn't really a big deal for dcm to get them both. It also helped that dcm recognized how difficult her son was!

I'm sorry this family is causing you so much stress
safechner 12:51 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Problem is the parents aren't working with me and could care less that he won't drink. It's too much of a liability fo me. I'm not going to wait until something bad happens.
I have already tried the method you mentioned
I have to say I agree with you 100%. Let him go but likely parents will take both of them to go different daycare. Sometimes, you have to think about your business to protect.
daycare 12:53 PM 04-15-2011
So I just write the paperwork terming DCB and let them decide to remove the other?
Just want to make sure I'm covering my bases right
Zoe 01:04 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
So I just write the paperwork terming DCB and let them decide to remove the other?
Just want to make sure I'm covering my bases right
I think that would be fair. Unless you want to be rid of the family and not deal with them anymore, then I'd word it based on a family thing, not an individual child.
daycare 01:06 PM 04-15-2011
The family is not my fav by far but I an deal if they wanted to have their other child stay. However like others said im prepared to have them both go
Meyou 04:15 AM 04-16-2011
The only time I termed one sibling the family pulled both kids. But they were very, very, very angry with me for terming. They were in complete denial of their child's behavior and still are. She is/was a screamer. She screamed for 12 weeks straight (she was almost 3) while I wore her little brother in a sling for 12 weeks to prevent him from screaming. They said she was used to getting her way and if I would just put cartoons on they were fine with her watching tv all day. I don't even have cable we watch that little tv. lol She also didn't eat at a table, eat any veggies or fruit, did not like to go outside and didn't like to be told no for anything else according to her parents. Ohhh and didn't nap!!

At our interview mama (4 months before they started) said they were a no tv, organic eating household. Hahahahahaha
Tags:siblings, siblings - termination, termination
Reply Up