Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Finally Enrolled With The FP
Brooksie 10:55 AM 10-16-2013
And found out I'm Tier 1!!!! Oh happy day
Blackcat31 11:00 AM 10-16-2013

Brooksie 11:15 AM 10-16-2013
BC, Would you recommend I notify parents that I will be providing all meals and that I will no longer allow food from home? Or do I have to let them bring food if they want?
MissAnn 11:18 AM 10-16-2013
Why would they want to bring food? Mine are thrilled they don't have to. Good luck! I don't think they have to participate if they don't want to.
Brooksie 11:21 AM 10-16-2013
I have one family that has a picky eater. But that's because they feed her crap...
melilley 11:22 AM 10-16-2013
Yay! It really does help out a little!
I would tell them you are providing the food. I don't see why they wouldn't want it provided to them.
MsLaura529 11:26 AM 10-16-2013
Awesome! SO jealous of all of you Tier 1 folks ...

I would tell them you are providing the food now. I don't allow any outside food come in ... 1, because they are usually eating/drinking it as they walk in, and then getting crumbs and spilling milk all over, and 2, because that way there's no "but why does DCG get to eat that? I want THAT" ...
TwinKristi 11:36 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:

I would tell them you are providing the food now. I don't allow any outside food come in ... 1, because they are usually eating/drinking it as they walk in, and then getting crumbs and spilling milk all over, and 2, because that way there's no "but why does DCG get to eat that? I want THAT" ...
Yeah this is a HUGE problem. This one mom I had for a short time (thank God) insisted she provide all his food. I think she "thought" it was easier for me but really it was way harder. Not to mention her idea of a round meal and the FPs idea were different! Some days DCB would eat it all plus some and some days he didn't want what she packed and wanted what we ate. It was hard. He LOVED bananas and she rarely packed them so I ended up adding bananas to his breakfast or lunch often. She's the only one I've had who insisted on bringing food and milk from home. Lame!!
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
BC, Would you recommend I notify parents that I will be providing all meals and that I will no longer allow food from home? Or do I have to let them bring food if they want?
I do NOT allow food from home.

Too many fights, too much jealousy and honestly a lot of parents really have NO idea what constitutes a well balanced meal.

I tell them that I will provide ALL meals, snacks and drinks. I will provide enough variety in each meal that there will always be something for each kid's tastes.

If they choose not to eat, there is always snack (within 3-3.5 hours of last meal) that they can fall back on.

I know a lot of providers allow for food from home, but honestly it is way too much to manage in my opinion so I just say no.

No food in and no food out.
wonderfullisa 12:36 PM 10-16-2013
I have a person coming tomorrow morning to help me get started.
We should also be Tier One, thanks to this lovely neighborhood.
Starting the 27th, I'll have dcks here 7 days a week (minus 1-2 days a month), plus my own two, so this will really add up quickly!
snbauser 12:40 PM 10-16-2013
I'm tier 1 as well. It makes a huge difference. As far as parents bringing their own, you need to follow the rules for your food program sponsor. They are all supposed to be the same since it is a federal program, but they aren't. Here we can not allow parents to provide any part of the meal or we can not claim that meal.
Play Care 12:45 PM 10-16-2013
And found out I'm Tier 1!!!! Oh happy day

Once you realize how quick and painless it is, I think you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner
Heidi 01:37 PM 10-16-2013
NO food from home here, unless someone really, really wants to bring a birthday treat. But, I usually do that anyway, so I haven't had anyone do it.
daycarediva 01:37 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:

This.

Lucky ducky! You will probably make a profit on it, then!
Heidi 01:38 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I'm tier 1 as well. It makes a huge difference. As far as parents bringing their own, you need to follow the rules for your food program sponsor. They are all supposed to be the same since it is a federal program, but they aren't. Here we can not allow parents to provide any part of the meal or we can not claim that meal.
I had a parent try to give me something once, I think it was baby food. Their child was done with it, and they didn't want to throw it away. 3 or 4 jars.

I made them take 5 cents for it, so now I bought it...
Childminder 07:11 PM 10-16-2013
If the parents still insist they are going to provide food tell them that since you are now on the food program you must feed them the required components. If they still insist give them the Federal guidelines to follow and they will decide it is too much trouble and stop sending food.
Brooksie 07:15 PM 10-16-2013
Everyone signed on!! One of my dcms was so over the top excited she couldn't believe what I was saying... she asked me probably 15x if I was serious. (she's a young single mother who works 2 jobs). Bless her heart. And the one family who said previously that they would still pack if I joined has changed courses. Once I said I would be making things like pancakes and french toast at least once a week, she admitted that she only feeds dcg donuts in the am because she doesn't have time to cook. I'm really looking forward to starting this. Any one want to share their menu?
blandino 07:45 PM 10-16-2013
Everyone signed on!! One of my dcms was so over the top excited she couldn't believe what I was saying... she asked me probably 15x if I was serious. (she's a young single mother who works 2 jobs). Bless her heart. And the one family who said previously that they would still pack if I joined has changed courses. Once I said I would be making things like pancakes and french toast at least once a week, she admitted that she only feeds dcg donuts in the am because she doesn't have time to cook. I'm really looking forward to starting this. Any one want to share their menu?
I will totally share ! I will send it on over tomorrow . However, I am just about to make some changes. My current group eats differently than past groups.
Cradle2crayons 08:48 PM 10-16-2013
I can't get on the food program here, but if I could, they don't allow ANY child to bring food from home.

Still bummed I really need the financial aspect of the food program but unfortunately I can't be on the food program here.
Play Care 07:12 AM 10-17-2013
You probably already planned this, but prepare those food ahead of time and freeze them. They are not "left overs" since they were prepared for dc (some FP's don't allow leftovers) saves a ton of time!
LaLa1923 07:15 AM 10-17-2013
Can I have your email and I will share mine??
snbauser 10:46 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
You probably already planned this, but prepare those food ahead of time and freeze them. They are not "left overs" since they were prepared for dc (some FP's don't allow leftovers) saves a ton of time!
Be careful with this. For some a "left over" is defined as anything heated, cooled, and then re-heated OR anything from a previous meal that is served a second time. When I was licensed as a large facility we were not allowed to pre-make things like pancakes because they were cooked, frozen, and then re-heated and therefore considered a left over. As a family child care I am not required to follow those rules so I can do it now.
missheather 02:07 PM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
Can I have your email and I will share mine??
Can I get a copy too? I will direct messege you my email
missheather 02:09 PM 10-17-2013
Ok dumb question... How do I figure out what tier I would be?
I have looked everywhere but can't seem to find it...
might be user error

snbauser 02:16 PM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by missheather:
might be user error
Tier 1 is if you either qualify based on your family income or based on your "home" school. If more than I think it is 50% of the kids in you home school qualify for free or reduced lunch, then you would qualify for tier 1.
wonderfullisa 07:27 AM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by missheather:
might be user error
1. Live in a school attendance area where at least 50% or more of the enrolled children are eligible for a free or reduced priced lunch. If tiered by this method your tier will stay in place for five years.
2. OR, live in a tract/block where 50% or more of the children meet the income guidelines. (Identified as living in a "Pocket of poverty" from current census data.) If tiered by this method, your tier will stay in place until the next census information becomes available.
3. OR, be a provider whose total household income meets current income guidelines. This requires you to complete and return an Income Eligibility Application along with verification to support documented income. if tiered by this method, the tier will be in place for 12 months.

This is straight from my handbook (improper punctuation regarding parentheses and all).
TwinKristi 07:36 AM 10-18-2013
Tier 1 here too thanks to our elementary school! I guess a lot of people were mad that people 3 blocks north were Tier 1 but we were Tier 2. I don't think the food program would be worth it at Tier 2...
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Tier 1 here too thanks to our elementary school! I guess a lot of people were mad that people 3 blocks north were Tier 1 but we were Tier 2. I don't think the food program would be worth it at Tier 2...
I also want to mention that even if the provider lives n a Tier 2 area, each individual family enrolled can apply for Tier 1 rates if their incomes meet the guidelines.
Tags:food program, food program - maryland, tier 1
Reply Up