Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Neighbor Killed Our Squirrel
BumbleBee 03:43 PM 06-05-2016
I know it's not really 'ours' and that what she does on her property is her business, but UGH!

For about a month now we've been watching a momma and baby squirrel run around and do their thing by the tree outside. We have a window that faces the tree and the kids have been fascinated by the baby.

Last week the kids noticed that the momma wasn't around, just the baby. It's been living under a board I have out there to protect the garden hose from being run over by the lawnmower. We have a bird feeder set up right outside of the window facing the tree so it's been eating the seeds dropped from the feeder.

In talking to my neighbor today, nice little old lady, she informs me that she trapped and drowned a squirrel that had a baby with it and she's now trying to trap the baby and drown it too.

I so wish she didn't have a vendetta against squirrels! She always tells me how she kills them humanely. Lady, it may be better than poison that kills them slowly but seriously, trapping them in a cage then sticking the cage in a garbage can full of water is not humane in my book!

Doesn't help that she's on one side killing squirrels and my neighbor on the other side of me actively feeds them. Every day she's out there putting watermelon, corn, nuts, etc. out for the squirrels.

Just my rant for the evening I guess. Nothing I can do about it.
sharlan 04:12 PM 06-05-2016
ugh!

My best friend's dh feels that's a humane way to kill squirrels, too. He drowns several week. They live on 5 acres out in the middle of nowhere. There is no way he's going to kill all the squirrels, but he's trying.

Last time I was there, I quietly released the trap when she wasn't around.
Michael 04:44 PM 06-05-2016
I can see how you've taken to them especially as a teaching moment for your kids. Your neighbor probably sees them as pests. I usually get a hundred peaches on my tree and only have pits left on the ground, so I can empathize with your neighbor. My daughter wouldn't let me get rid of them and believe me I've thought of it.
Unregistered 05:00 PM 06-05-2016
That is gross! I've never heard of people killing squirrels. That is so sad. A little old lady is doing that? I would freak out!

I know a little old lady who killed a nest of bunnies. I don't know why. There was a nest in her brushes. It would make me throw up to kill a nest of baby bunnies!
sharlan 05:01 PM 06-05-2016
My girlfriend has problems with the squirrels around her house undermining the driveway and walkways, especially the ones on the side of the hills.

I understand why they want to get rid of them, but wish they'd find a more humane way.
Mike 06:31 PM 06-05-2016
My brother feeds squirrels, chipmunks, and birds. Many of them eat out of his hand, and mine too. It's fun and very stress relieving to feed them.

It's always sad when others kill them, but it's true that an overpopulation can be trouble.
Thriftylady 06:59 PM 06-05-2016
This angers me!! I had a pet squirrel as a kid. By far the sweetest and smartest pet I ever had. I know they can cause issues for some people, but really they are not that big of a nuisance IMHO.
Josiegirl 03:00 AM 06-06-2016
Oh no! We love watching the big gray squirrels chase each other around the trees when we're feeding birds in the winter. One year we had red squirrels too, they were fun. Until I could hear gnawing and scurrying in my walls. I had several that got in between my walls. But still, I borrowed a no-kill trap and brought them far far away out into the woods, one by one. I made 5 trips until I stopped getting any in the trap. As much of a pest as they can be, why can't they be removed peacefully. We have forests galore here so taking a 20 minute ride isn't a big deal.
My neighbor sets a leg trap for woodchucks, then takes a hammer to them. I know they'll take over his garden but there's gotta be a better way.
I don't even like killing most bugs.
Josiegirl 03:01 AM 06-06-2016
And BUNNIES? I can't even imagine.
jenboo 05:54 AM 06-06-2016
That makes me so sad!
We have tons of squirrels. My dog loves to chase them which keeps them out of our yard and doesn't harm them. We have two huge trees that they are always in.
Blackcat31 06:05 AM 06-06-2016
Sorry guys, I know they are cute and adorable to watch but squirrels and rabbits cause hundreds of $'s worth of damage to things when they get into your house, exterior siding, sheds, under your garage or in your crawl space or basement.

My DCK's love watching the bunnies too but when they try to nest in your crawl space and chew on the wires under your house, leaving you with no cable or loss of power they aren't so cute. I'm tired of planting and replanting veggies in my garden only to have them eaten by fat gray mama rabbit and her babies. (yes, we have a fence)

My DH had a squirrel get into our garage and it crawled up into his truck. $3800 of electrical work later and it STILL comes back all the time. Every time my DH hits the brakes in his truck you can hear the stray acorns roll inside the truck frame.
Given the chance will I trap and dispose of him? Absolutely.

I am an animal lover for sure but I am also an animal realist and understand when and where animals are manageable and where they don't belong or live well among humans.
Rockgirl 06:12 AM 06-06-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sorry guys, I know they are cute and adorable to watch but squirrels and rabbits cause hundreds of $'s worth of damage to things when they get into your house, exterior siding, sheds, under your garage or in your crawl space or basement.

My DCK's love watching the bunnies too but when they try to nest in your crawl space and chew on the wires under your house, leaving you with no cable or loss of power they aren't so cute. I'm tired of planting and replanting veggies in my garden only to have them eaten by fat gray mama rabbit and her babies. (yes, we have a fence)

My DH had a squirrel get into our garage and it crawled up into his truck. $3800 of electrical work later and it STILL comes back all the time. Every time my DH hits the brakes in his truck you can hear the stray acorns roll inside the truck frame.

I am an animal lover for sure but I am also an animal realist and understand when and where animals are manageable and where they don't belong or live well among humans.
Your dh? I'm sure he didn't mean to let the squirrel into the garage--cut him some slack!
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 06-06-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Your dh? I'm sure he didn't mean to let the squirrel into the garage--cut him some slack!
Nah, he is way too useful!

If I didn't have him, I would have so many things I'd have to figure out how to manage... pest/rodent control would be one of them.
NightOwl 06:59 AM 06-06-2016
That's disgusting! And totally unnecessary. Would you volunteer to dispose of the caught squirrels for her? Take them to a local park or something? I understand they can be pests, but drowning them? I find that to be very cruel and I'm wondering if it's even legal.
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 06-06-2016
It's completely legal in my state. Here is what my DNR (Department of Natural Resources) website says:

"Taking means capturing, relocating or killing a nuisance animal. You can take an animal using any method except poison, artificial lights, or a motor vehicle."

Nuisance animals/birds are:

"Once you catch the animal, you may choose to destroy or relocate it."

Drowning is often used by those who live in a residential area since discharging a firearm is illegal to do within city limits.
Play Care 08:00 AM 06-06-2016

Because we've killed off their natural predators we've seen an increase in populations. Add to that people leaving food out for them It's gotten so that when I walk out my back door, the rabbits/squirrels don't even blink much less take off
Annalee 09:27 AM 06-06-2016
Our power went off with a loud boom one evening after daycare. We called the power company and when he came out and climbed the pole to see what happened, he threw out a dead squirrel...he said "that is what playing with electric will do for ya" he said this happens all over the county fairly often.
WAHMderful_Life 09:39 AM 06-06-2016
poor little things, unless they are getting into your house why on earth would you kill them thats horrible they have every right to live outside by our houses. I can see a raccoon thats getting into your garbage cans no matter what you do to try and secure ur garbage needing to be re located but seriously why do people think they can just kill them because they don't like them.
Annalee 09:48 AM 06-06-2016

We are also having trouble with huge and I mean huuuuuggggeeee snapping turtles killing fish in our pond.....anybody got a solution for that?
Leigh 11:03 AM 06-06-2016
I had to cut down my trees in my yard at my last house (that provided privacy and much needed shade) because my neighbors yard was FULL of bird and squirrel feeders. Our backyard was covered in bird poop all the time. We couldn't have a patio set out there-we couldn't enjoy our backyard at all. The squirrels would bring corn cobs from the neighbors' feeders and deposit them in my rain gutters (total PITA), and they ruined my shingles (scratching? Chewing? I don't know). I hate the little pests! Cutting down our 50 year old trees eliminated access to my roof and gutters, but they still drug debris into my yard constantly. Squirrels and rabbits are cute, I admit, but I'd thank my neighbors I'd they stopped feeding them and started eliminating them!
Michael 11:31 AM 06-06-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
We are also having trouble with huge and I mean huuuuuggggeeee snapping turtles killing fish in our pond.....anybody got a solution for that?
That was easy: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...p-recipe2.html
Annalee 11:37 AM 06-06-2016
Originally Posted by Michael:
That was easy: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...p-recipe2.html
I have cooked rabbit, squirrel, deer, and fish, but no turtle. Maybe I should try it!
Blackcat31 11:48 AM 06-06-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I have cooked rabbit, squirrel, deer, and fish, but no turtle. Maybe I should try it!
My dad used to make snapping turtle soup all the time.

It's not bad but it's not really that good either.

I think the only way to eliminate your pond of snappers is to trap them.
Annalee 12:03 PM 06-06-2016
My dad used to make snapping turtle soup all the time.

It's not bad but it's not really that good either.

I think the only way to eliminate your pond of snappers is to trap them.

Unregistered 12:40 PM 06-06-2016
Can you help the baby? Maybe call a animal sanctuary/rehabilitation place?
NightOwl 01:23 PM 06-06-2016
Originally Posted by WAHMderful_Life:
poor little things, unless they are getting into your house why on earth would you kill them thats horrible they have every right to live outside by our houses. I can see a raccoon thats getting into your garbage cans no matter what you do to try and secure ur garbage needing to be re located but seriously why do people think they can just kill them because they don't like them.
Agreed! I know they can be annoying and cause damage, so remove them, not drown them! Maybe this rubbed me the wrong way because drowning is my ultimate fear. It just seems so cruel and there are easy alternatives.
NightOwl 01:34 PM 06-06-2016
It's completely legal in my state. Here is what my DNR (Department of Natural Resources) website says:

"Taking means capturing, relocating or killing a nuisance animal. You can take an animal using any method except poison, artificial lights, or a motor vehicle."

Nuisance animals/birds are:
  • mink
  • squirrels
  • rabbit
  • hare
  • raccoon
  • bobcat
  • fox
  • muskrat
  • opossum
  • beaver
  • English sparrow
  • starling
  • common pigeon

"Once you catch the animal, you may choose to destroy or relocate it."

Drowning is often used by those who live in a residential area since discharging a firearm is illegal to do within city limits.

I found something very similar here. Alabama's statutes seem to strongly encourage relocation over extermination, but it's still legal to kill them.
Tags:pests
Reply Up