Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>12 Month Old Won't Transition To Sippy
Miss A 10:47 AM 03-22-2018
I have pretty fresh 12 month old who we have been working with for months on sippy cup preperation, and it is not going well. She is offered a sippy at each meal and snack along with the older toddlers and she will bang it around but not drink. I have offered her several different styles over the last 3 months and each one produces the same result, no interest.

Parents still want her to be taking regular bottles during the day, but she is only taking 6-8oz a day by bottle here because she just doesn't want to. I have offered her a cup instead of a bottle at her usual bottle times and she refuses.

She eats more at most meals than the older toddlers so, so I am not worried about her not getting the nutrition or calories from the whole milk. I am ready to cut out the 2 bottles per day here and just move to a cup at meals, with the thought that what we have been doing isn't working and maybe when her cup is the only choice she will use it, but I don't know if that is taking it to an extreme or not. She is getting a bottle in the morning before arrival and a bottle or two at night at home.

What would you guys do?
LittleExplorers 10:59 AM 03-22-2018
I would move to the sippy cup. I removed the part that prevents leaks from one of my little ones who didn't seem to want a cup. Within a few meals he figured it out. Not sure if that is the reason or if it was just timing. Good luck!
daycarediva 11:09 AM 03-22-2018
replace the milk in bottles with water and start offering that so she is used to drinking milk between meals and getting SOME hydration.

A 360 cup?
Blackcat31 11:10 AM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by Miss A:
I have pretty fresh 12 month old who we have been working with for months on sippy cup preperation, and it is not going well. She is offered a sippy at each meal and snack along with the older toddlers and she will bang it around but not drink. I have offered her several different styles over the last 3 months and each one produces the same result, no interest.

Parents still want her to be taking regular bottles during the day, but she is only taking 6-8oz a day by bottle here because she just doesn't want to. I have offered her a cup instead of a bottle at her usual bottle times and she refuses.

She eats more at most meals than the older toddlers so, so I am not worried about her not getting the nutrition or calories from the whole milk. I am ready to cut out the 2 bottles per day here and just move to a cup at meals, with the thought that what we have been doing isn't working and maybe when her cup is the only choice she will use it, but I don't know if that is taking it to an extreme or not. She is getting a bottle in the morning before arrival and a bottle or two at night at home.

What would you guys do?
I'd stop offering so many options....

NO bottles here after 12 months.
Parents can do whatever they want at home but NOTHING served in a bottle here.

As for the cup, I'd give her a take and toss type cup and let her be. If she understands how to lift/tip cup to get a drink she WILL figure out the rest on her own.

I think these types of issues are common but ONLY because parents (and sometimes caregivers) make it more complicated than it really needs to be.

It's a "drink or don't" type of situation

NOT

"Drink from Cup A but only milk and drink from bottle for formula and then Cup B for water and Cup C for juice and Cup D on even days Cup F on odd days" type of situation.
ColorfulSunburst 11:37 AM 03-22-2018
I do not offer sippy cups. just a regular cup with small amount of water.
Miss A 12:40 PM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd stop offering so many options....

NO bottles here after 12 months.
Parents can do whatever they want at home but NOTHING served in a bottle here.

As for the cup, I'd give her a take and toss type cup and let her be. If she understands how to lift/tip cup to get a drink she WILL figure out the rest on her own.

I think these types of issues are common but ONLY because parents (and sometimes caregivers) make it more complicated than it really needs to be.

It's a "drink or don't" type of situation

NOT

"Drink from Cup A but only milk and drink from bottle for formula and then Cup B for water and Cup C for juice and Cup D on even days Cup F on odd days" type of situation.
I have stopped offering options, I just finally chose one type and that is the only one offered to her here. I also started to use it for the requested 2 "bottles" per day here this week. The only reason any options were offered is because some kids prefer different types, or take to one type instantly. But, I am unwilling to play sippy roulette. My thought is that if she is thirsty enough she will drink from a cup, even if she holds out while in care for a few days.

At home her parents allow her to play with a sippy with water on the floor at all times, but that is not happening here.
Blackcat31 01:48 PM 03-22-2018
I have stopped offering options, I just finally chose one type and that is the only one offered to her here. I also started to use it for the requested 2 "bottles" per day here this week. The only reason any options were offered is because some kids prefer different types, or take to one type instantly. But, I am unwilling to play sippy roulette. My thought is that if she is thirsty enough she will drink from a cup, even if she holds out while in care for a few days.

At home her parents allow her to play with a sippy with water on the floor at all times, but that is not happening here.

I used to offer options too.
Even worse, I used to ask parents for input

Now I decide what cups I provide and that's that.

There is ONLY one option for child; drink or don't.

I am not open long enough in one day or in a week that a child would die of thirst or starvation if their choice was "or don't" and I don't have kids here from open to close so it works.
LysesKids 06:12 AM 03-23-2018

What would you guys do?
I don't do bottles after 12 months unless it's a special need child... whatever the parent does at home is their business.

I use the 360 miracle cup with water starting at 8-9 months so the babes get use to it. Eventually the little will learn if given only one option at meals and snacks. I also transition to small glasses starting around 15-16 months for meals... most my babes know milk is in the glass, water is in the sippy ( we take them outside, but then all are under 24 months lol)
Tags:1 year old, transition to sippy cup
Reply Up