Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training 3 Yr Old
Francine 12:16 PM 11-02-2011
I have a three year old little guy that is totally pee trained but at home he asks for a diaper to poop in and the parents think that is fine. Don't want to put any pressure on him ya know! He has been with me since August, never once has he told me that he has to pee, I just send him in there every couple of hours. He has had one pee accident since starting.

Mom has told him in front of me " She has diapers for you if you need to poop, all you have to do is ask" Well if he doesn't tell me when he has to pee he certainly isn't going to ask me for a diaper to poop in. Last week he pooped his pants, according to Mom this is the first time ever that he has pooped in his big boy pants. No, he just asked them for a diaper! When Mom came to pick him up that day all she said to him was " X you know that she has diapers here for you to poop in right?" " If you need to poop all you have to do is ask for a diaper"

So this morning while we were doing puzzles he said something like " you have diapers right" I said, " yes I do but why don't we go in and sit on the potty" He was totally fine with that, he sat and looked at books but didn't go. I put a couple of pull ups next to the toilet and I told him that they are there if he needs to use them, he can either go into the bathroom and put one on himself or he can sit on the potty to go poop.

What would you guys do here? I'm not saying that I want to pressure him, but to me it seems like the parents should be doing a little bit more to encourage him. What do you think?
Michael 08:03 PM 11-02-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...+trained+-+not
Country Kids 08:11 PM 11-02-2011
OK, not sure how this will go over but something to really think about. I was told that in the schools (at least here) if a child has to be changed the assistant to the teacher gets extra money that day. So if they have to change lots of kids everyday that is just more money in their pocket.

What if daycares started this practice! If you don't want to help potty train the child or encourage them to use pull-up/diapers when they are old enough to actually use the toilet, it will be $5.00 extra everyday a child has to be changed. I think parents would realize that they better get on board and get that child going to the bathroom.
Lucy 09:00 PM 11-02-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
OK, not sure how this will go over but something to really think about. I was told that in the schools (at least here) if a child has to be changed the assistant to the teacher gets extra money that day. So if they have to change lots of kids everyday that is just more money in their pocket.

What if daycares started this practice! If you don't want to help potty train the child or encourage them to use pull-up/diapers when they are old enough to actually use the toilet, it will be $5.00 extra everyday a child has to be changed. I think parents would realize that they better get on board and get that child going to the bathroom.
Here, teachers, assistants, or any adults at schools are not allowed to even go in the bathroom with kids. If a kid has an accident, all they are allowed to do is give them some towels or wipes, clean clothes if they have some, a plastic bag to put the dirty ones in, and send them into the bathroom by themselves to try and clean themselves up. I know it sounds cruel, but it's the law here. That way there is no chance someone will be accused of sexual abuse during the clean up process.

As for the OP's question, I think you are handling it fine. No pressure, and you are giving the kid a chance to decide for himself. Too bad the parents aren't doing the same.
Tags:3 year old, potty trained - not
Reply Up