Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Glitter
bubblegum 01:10 PM 04-08-2016
http://www.someecards.com/life/healt...s-eye-glitter/

Wow, wow, wow
spud912 02:20 PM 04-08-2016
Eww
Josiegirl 02:27 PM 04-08-2016
wow is right
I'm seriously rethinkng the whole glitter crafts thing.
valleygirl 04:16 PM 04-10-2016
Definitely scary looking, but the same thing could happen with sand, and I'm not about to deny children the opportunity to play with sand or glitter.

But a safer alternative to glitter is glitter glue. SuperStore carries a large box of glitter glue in a large variety of colours. They are in little tubes with a fine point, and are easy for children to squeeze. I also use them to add detail to my felt board story pieces.
bubblegum 12:45 PM 04-11-2016
Every thing could be dangerous if you think about it. I had never even heard of this though! Crazy!
Febby 06:40 PM 04-11-2016
When I did cheerleading in high school and middle school, we were not allowed to have glitter on our faces in competition due to the risk of it getting in our eyes.

I rarely use glitter in my classroom because, well, I hate cleaning it up if it gets spilled, etc.
valleygirl 12:46 AM 04-12-2016
My philosophy is the messier it is the more fun kids will have. I do lots of messy things with my group of kids at work - coloured rice with scoops and funnels, moon sand, shaving foam. Unfortunately the centre I am at does worksheets for "art" and the room for doing art is only available for a short period of time. So I don't really get much opportunity to do open ended art with my kids. In winter one of the kids favourite things is to make white play dough with them, giving them each a turn to add an ingredient and stir. Then I cook it in the microwave and when it is cool I let the children ad glitter to it to make it look like snow!
NightOwl 05:28 AM 04-12-2016
The hard truth about glitter.
Attached: Screenshot_2016-04-12-07-25-28-1.jpg (20.6 KB) 
Febby 04:22 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by valleygirl:
My philosophy is the messier it is the more fun kids will have. I do lots of messy things with my group of kids at work - coloured rice with scoops and funnels, moon sand, shaving foam. Unfortunately the centre I am at does worksheets for "art" and the room for doing art is only available for a short period of time. So I don't really get much opportunity to do open ended art with my kids. In winter one of the kids favourite things is to make white play dough with them, giving them each a turn to add an ingredient and stir. Then I cook it in the microwave and when it is cool I let the children ad glitter to it to make it look like snow!
I've never thought about adding it to play-doh. How well does that work? Do you end up with glitter in every tiny crack and corner of the room for weeks?
Blackcat31 06:32 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Febby:
I've never thought about adding it to play-doh. How well does that work? Do you end up with glitter in every tiny crack and corner of the room for weeks?
ANY time you use glitter it finds it's way into every tiny crack and corner....and stays forEVER

That's a fact.
valleygirl 09:45 PM 04-12-2016
We just sprinkle a little glitter on the table and let the children roll the play dough. At the beginning of winter we give then blue and silver glitter in the white play dough, and at christmas we give them red and green.
valleygirl 10:55 PM 04-12-2016
Glitter does end up kind of all over the place, and I guess I can see how that could be a problem if you run your daycare from your home. I have never worked in a home daycare before, only centre based care. In a centre somehow it doesn't seem to matter so much if glitter finds its way into all sorts of odd places. But if you really can't stand the mess of glitter, try Elmer's glitter glue tubes. They are awesome. you don't end up with spilled glitter and the kids love them. The kid in me loves them too, unashamedly!
Josiegirl 04:13 AM 04-13-2016
Originally Posted by valleygirl:
We just sprinkle a little glitter on the table and let the children roll the play dough. At the beginning of winter we give then blue and silver glitter in the white play dough, and at christmas we give them red and green.
I mix glitter in with our homemade playdough with the rest of the liquid ingredients.
Tags:arts and crafts- ideas, glitter
Reply Up