Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My First Real Delimma
3kidzmama 07:25 PM 02-23-2011
Ugh, I'm not even open yet and already I have a real problem regarding hiring an assistant.

A very close friend of mine told me a few days ago that she really would love to work for me (I had NOT asked her to, by the way!). She stated "You know I have tons of experience in childcare, and I know that you would let me have time off if I need it."

Whoa, hang on a second!! First, I never asked her to work for me. Second, although she does have experience, she is not exactly dependable. And I know this because she is such a close friend. And third, NO I would not be able to let her have off any time she needed it... my licensing requirements would require that my assistant be there to maintain adult/child ratios.

If I did hire her, I have a feeling it wouldn't work out and it wouldn't end well...

Anyone have a diplomatic advice for this situation?? I have a feeling I'm about to lose a long-time friend, because I can't see any way around this without hurting her feelings. And I have to put the business first, as it will be my only source of income for my family when it opens.

Lose a friend or take care of my family... I'll choose my family, of course... but I would like to keep the friend as well...
daycare 07:58 PM 02-23-2011
Never mix business and pleasure
You already have doubt and I think you already know the answer.
My advice never hire family or friends
squareone 08:11 PM 02-23-2011
DON'T DO IT!

Tell her that as much as you appreciate her wanting to work for you, you value your friendship too much to put either of you in that situation. Tell her that you'll be running a very tight ship and have decided to keep business dealings completely separate from your personal dealings.
MyAngels 08:16 PM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
DON'T DO IT!

Tell her that as much as you appreciate her wanting to work for you, you value your friendship too much to put either of you in that situation. Tell her that you'll be running a very tight ship and have decided to keep business dealings completely separate from your personal dealings.
Yes, this.
blessed mom 09:02 PM 02-23-2011
I agree with everything that was said and would just like to add that if you end up losing your friend over hurt feelings like this...maybe the friendship wasn't as good as it could be. It's rare I know but real friends can talk about such things and come to and understanding of the other person's perspective. It's not all about what is good for one person over the other. It's unconditional. Just sayin....
Cat Herder 03:49 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Never mix business and pleasure
You already have doubt and I think you already know the answer.
My advice never hire family or friends
....or keep their kids.
gbcc 04:09 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
DON'T DO IT!

I would go with this as well! Hopefully she will understand and respect your decision.
SandeeAR 06:37 AM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by gbcc:
I would go with this as well! Hopefully she will understand and respect your decision.

Ditto here.

Meant to multi quote square ones reply too.
3kidzmama 08:07 AM 02-24-2011
Thanks for the support!! I know that nothing good would come from this if I were to hire her... Hopefully she will understand, but if not, there's not a lot I can do about it.
Reply Up