Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Juice Boxes- READ/WATCH
dEHmom 08:31 AM 03-27-2011
https://www.facebook.com/video/video...10455&comments
dEHmom 08:37 AM 03-27-2011
bet you never let a child drink out of one of these again!
nannyde 08:45 AM 03-27-2011

Oh wow.

The poor guy took a drink of it.

Where's the spewing puke icon when we need it?
MN Day Mom 08:48 AM 03-27-2011
OMG that is disgusting.
dEHmom 08:58 AM 03-27-2011
yep i am officially banning juiceboxes!

i usually try not to have them, but hubs likes them for work, and i have them handy for on the go days (better than leaking bottles) but I will never do it again. eww
laundrymom 09:08 AM 03-27-2011
I'm afraid to watch!!! Somebody please tell. Lol
missnikki 09:15 AM 03-27-2011
It's a video of a dad who bought a case of Del Monte juice boxes (like Capri Sun pouches, actually) and showed one he had cut open, because he took a drink and innediately vomited.

It shows what was inside. Nasty unidentifiable gunk. (If I described it further, I'd go from heaving (currently) to full vomit.
safechner 09:20 AM 03-27-2011
That is disgusting! I never heard of this before but any stores don't have like this in here. I usually buy kool aid or carpi sun juice boxes for my girls.n Thanks for the warning!
PitterPatter 09:36 AM 03-27-2011
OMG It looks like an organism of some kind. I was expecting some stuff floating wround like fruit particles. I would love to see an update on that and find out what it is! I have seen juice boxes made on the show unwrapped but never these. I wonder how it got in there.
momatheart 09:44 AM 03-27-2011
I couldn't even watch the whole thing that was DISGUSTING!!!

I do not buy juice pouches or fruit boxes but now definitely NOT.
jen 09:57 AM 03-27-2011
I don't actually buy juice boxes, but I did do a quick check. Del Monte doesn't make juice boxes. From what I gather, they licensed their name out to Kraft Foods in Canada.

http://www.facebook.com/delmonte

Still disgusting, but good to know the details.
Unregistered 09:59 AM 03-27-2011
Uh oh....we just bought about 40 cases of the Kool-Aid kind (we use them in the summer for field trips and such). I will show this to my director....but I doubt she'll throw out 400+ juices...OMG
treehugger82 10:01 AM 03-27-2011
I swear that thing was alive.....BLECK!! I don't buy that kind, but I don't think I can even buy the organic kind that I usually do. I'll just be worried that there is some wierd organism in there....
Greenshadow 10:47 AM 03-27-2011
I buy the Minute Maid juice boxes. They are actually boxes of juice; not pouches. I open them with scissors and pour them into sippy cups for trips. I think Minute Maid just came out with the 1/2 gal juices now. So maybe I'll switch to those instead. I had seen the video before of the Capri Sun but I dont buy that brand. I'd researched and found that the Minute Maid ones were less sugar and better for them.
littlemissmuffet 11:01 AM 03-27-2011
Pretty gross. Mind you so is pretty much everything else we consume... I have a family member who works in the department of health and saftey for food - you have no idea the disgusting things you are taking in on a daily basis. You don't want to know.
Michael 03:58 PM 03-27-2011
I am always skeptical when I see this type of story. Anyone can say they found something in their food. It usually results in a suit or legal extortion if the company feels their brand will get damaged. They usually will pay out of court just to make the story go away. I wonder is this is even possible and their system and process may eliminate the possibility of it. The story seems to be going viral and the video poster should also make some money from all the Youtube views. This what what the poster wrote on Youtube:

"This video is mine, we were holding off posting on you tube in case we had to take legal action, but I guess someone else posted it first. I am going to creat my own page for it to give everyone updates. I'll let peole know when I do"
gbcc 03:38 AM 03-28-2011
This happened last summer with a Capri Sun. A couple tried suing Craft saying there was some object in the juice pouch. People were being very gross and trying to say it was a fetus, a dead animal, skin that was sliced off a worker, and so many other accusations. Craft sent someone out to the house to get a sample for testing. Turns out it was just mold but the couple still kept up the farse claiming they were lying. Turns out that during stocking a knife pierced the bag just enough so that the pouch didn't leak put air got in and caused mold to grow.
dEHmom 04:19 AM 03-28-2011
My first thought was maybe syrup mold. And I seen someone posted that on the video owners facebook site as well.

But when he flips it in the cup, it looks like spine or teeth or something, ew. BARf!

I am sure it is an extremely rare occurance. And most likely you are right gbcc that it was a improperly sealed bag.

I think I prefer the bags over the boxes because you can feel if something is in there. I've had other things that weren't quite up to par but nothing like this! EW.

I know you should never drink directly out of pop cans because of rats running around all over them. I've also heard the cereal factories have a lot of issues.
KEG123 05:37 AM 03-28-2011
It's not just juice boxes, it's pouches too. I've heard a lot about that and seen way too many pictures to ever feel comfortable giving them to my kids. Yuck.
juliebug 05:47 AM 03-28-2011
eww yuck we have them rarely but mostly when we go out
dEHmom 05:50 AM 03-28-2011
personally, i'm not an environmental insanist, but I like to do my part, and even though they are recyclable, i prefer not to use them (too many time it ends up in trash and not in recycle bins).

I like using refillable containers, and besides, the juice box/pouches are not big enough, it's like 2 sips. that is not enough in my opinion.
WImom 06:03 AM 03-28-2011
YUCK!!
Never heard of Delmonte juice boxes. We buy Apple and Eve fruitables and I just sent my kids to school with them. I've tried reusuable containers but they always leak so I'm back to juice boxes since I don't trust my kids to not get choc./strawberry sugar in a milk container (what I call it anyway)....lol.

anyone have a container that never leaks?
dEHmom 06:06 AM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
YUCK!!
Never heard of Delmonte juice boxes. We buy Apple and Eve fruitables and I just sent my kids to school with them. I've tried reusuable containers but they always leak so I'm back to juice boxes since I don't trust my kids to not get choc./strawberry sugar in a milk container (what I call it anyway)....lol.

anyone have a container that never leaks?
the metal water bottles with the twist on caps seem to be the best.

The twist on tops seem to be what stop leaks, but if there is any sort of spouts or anything those are where the leaks happen.

I'm still searching. Sometimes I send water bottles

Oh and I heard there was another juicebox/pouch incident last year where everyone got super sick from bacteria in them, it was a dole juicebox.
QualiTcare 06:40 AM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
I am always skeptical when I see this type of story. Anyone can say they found something in their food. It usually results in a suit or legal extortion if the company feels their brand will get damaged. They usually will pay out of court just to make the story go away. I wonder is this is even possible and their system and process may eliminate the possibility of it. The story seems to be going viral and the video poster should also make some money from all the Youtube views. This what what the poster wrote on Youtube:

"This video is mine, we were holding off posting on you tube in case we had to take legal action, but I guess someone else posted it first. I am going to creat my own page for it to give everyone updates. I'll let peole know when I do"
i agree - i never believe these stories.
dEHmom 06:48 AM 03-28-2011
I did post it, but I guess not on here...

We were discussing the video (family/friends of mine) and we did come to the conversation of how many people, including employees, do stuff like this to create a suit. Maybe a ticked off employee, someone who was fired, or someone off the street just looking for something.

I totally agree that I do not believe everything, but sometimes you just don't know. I've found some pretty interesting things in food. Especially dry stuff (soup noodles etc) ew. That's what you get when you buy stuff made in gigantic factories. There is always rodents, bugs and other bacteria and such that get in there. You are putting your trust in each and every single employee that works there. One person may be a pig, and decide to throw a booger in, you never know. That's why I prefer homemade foods as opposed to fast foods.
QualiTcare 06:57 AM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
I did post it, but I guess not on here...

We were discussing the video (family/friends of mine) and we did come to the conversation of how many people, including employees, do stuff like this to create a suit. Maybe a ticked off employee, someone who was fired, or someone off the street just looking for something.

I totally agree that I do not believe everything, but sometimes you just don't know. I've found some pretty interesting things in food. Especially dry stuff (soup noodles etc) ew. That's what you get when you buy stuff made in gigantic factories. There is always rodents, bugs and other bacteria and such that get in there. You are putting your trust in each and every single employee that works there. One person may be a pig, and decide to throw a booger in, you never know. That's why I prefer homemade foods as opposed to fast foods.
true, but i've worked in a few restaurants and i can honestly say that is not very likely to happen. we used to joke about it if there was a real prick or someone who was notorious for being a crappy tipper, but wouldn't do it (even if they did deserve it).

it still always amazed me and still does that someone would be stupid enough to be rude to the person/people handling their food. i think if you're dumb enough to be nasty to the waiter/employee, etc. then you're dumb enough to get a booger in your burger.
dEHmom 07:07 AM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
true, but i've worked in a few restaurants and i can honestly say that is not very likely to happen. we used to joke about it if there was a real prick or someone who was notorious for being a crappy tipper, but wouldn't do it (even if they did deserve it).

it still always amazed me and still does that someone would be stupid enough to be rude to the person/people handling their food. i think if you're dumb enough to be nasty to the waiter/employee, etc. then you're dumb enough to get a booger in your burger.
hahahahaha....
yeah mcd's screwed up 40 bux worth of food a few months ago. so we brought the whole thing back. They were all shocked we returned it ALL. We explained that we don't want half cold food, half hot food, and if we make you make it ALL again, then we will end up with spit or boogers, so no thank you. We are going somewhere else
We ended up getting chinese food instead....yum kitty cats.
marniewon 10:19 AM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:

Have you ever seen the movie "Waiting"? Very nasty messed-up movie (vulgarity, sex, etc) but that's what this movie was - cooks, waiters, waitresses finding new and gross ways to be disgusting to whoever's food was brought back to the kitchen for whatever reason. It was supposed to be a comedy, but I certainly learned never to send food back for any reason!
QualiTcare 11:40 AM 03-28-2011
Yeah I've seen that movie and as with any movie it's exaggerated. Its okay to send food back, but as with anything it's all in how you do it. For me personally I would do anything to make someone happy who had a bad experience and approached me the right way if it meant free food plus a refund, extra food, whatever. If someone started being a prick (not that they can't be upset but hello I bring the food I didn't freakn cook it) then I'd do the least possible which usually meant replacing their meal they still had to pay for. The way I saw it was anyone hot headed enough to run off at the mouth to me as if it were my fault more than likely was a crappy tipper anyway. Plus its FOOD its not like your house just burned down - chill out and eat some fries off your buddies plate and you might get a free dinner.
Tags:article, gross topic
Reply Up