Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No-Touch Thermometer
CenterTeacher20 08:01 AM 10-26-2020
Has anyone else been having issues with their no-touch thermometers since the weather has been getting colder? Now, kids either come in with hats on and their temp initially is above 100 just because their foreheads are so warm, wheres the kids who don't come in with hats on have such cold foreheads that the thermometer doesn't even read. It takes like 2 minutes per child for their head temp to regulate and I'm not sure if thats a big inconvenience in a home care setting, but at our center with only one family dropping off at the door at a time its becoming a real annoyance. I'm debating switching back to our old thermometer..
Blackcat31 08:13 AM 10-26-2020
Originally Posted by CenterTeacher20:
Has anyone else been having issues with their no-touch thermometers since the weather has been getting colder? Now, kids either come in with hats on and their temp initially is above 100 just because their foreheads are so warm, wheres the kids who don't come in with hats on have such cold foreheads that the thermometer doesn't even read. It takes like 2 minutes per child for their head temp to regulate and I'm not sure if thats a big inconvenience in a home care setting, but at our center with only one family dropping off at the door at a time its becoming a real annoyance. I'm debating switching back to our old thermometer..
I temp at the wrist only.

I don't like the idea of pointing anything at the kids' heads (for several reasons) and the issues of taking it on their foreheads is too variable for my liking so I talked with my one DCM that is a doctor and she said to temp at the wrist.

The temps I take upon arrival are used just as a guide.
If I think a child has a temp, I take it using an alternate more reliable method and I also include other variables before excluding from care such as behavior, appearance and other symptoms.
Cat Herder 08:20 AM 10-26-2020
I have been taking their temp at their lower back. It has been far more accurate. I take it upon arrival, 45 minutes later and 45 minutes after nap for a better data set.
CenterTeacher20 08:25 AM 10-26-2020
Thank you guys! I didn't even realize I could use it on other parts of the body
Annalee 09:52 AM 10-26-2020
Thank you guys! I didn't even realize I could use it on other parts of the body
Me neither; learn something new everyday!
284878 10:21 AM 10-26-2020
My dcd says throat works well too.
kendallina 10:43 AM 10-27-2020
My nurse friend says you can also take it behind their ear.

But, yes, I have one little girl that gets a 94-95 degree reading every day ??

As someone said, it's just a guide and there's other ways of determining whether a child should be in care.

I still do like using it though because I've found that kids don't always realize when they're sick or have a fever. And parents are busy in the morning so they don't always realize it either.
Snowmom 12:42 PM 10-27-2020
I threw that $50 paperweight away this morning.

No amount of calibration ever made it reliable. I went back to tympanic and resigned myself to investing in endless amounts of ear covers.
AmyKidsCo 01:28 PM 10-28-2020
Are you required to take temps? I was always skeptical and stopped after the CDC changed to NOT recommending temperature screening for K-12 students.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...screening.html

I still ask parents to check for temps before drop off, and have a Screening Form on the entrance door with a statement saying that by dropping off their child the parents verify that their children don't have any of the listed symptoms.
CenterTeacher20 10:12 AM 10-29-2020
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Are you required to take temps? I was always skeptical and stopped after the CDC changed to NOT recommending temperature screening for K-12 students.
No, we aren't. However, 90% of our daycare parents are working on the frontlines of this pandemic and are screeners at testing events, working in the COVID units at hospitals, etc... we take temps for our reassurance lol.
CenterTeacher20 10:14 AM 10-29-2020
No, we aren't. However, 90% of our daycare parents are working on the frontlines of this pandemic and are screeners at testing events, working in the COVID units at hospitals, etc... we take temps for our reassurance lol.
Oh! And now that we have school agers at school during some days each week and here on other days, we have no idea who the heck they've been exposed to and were already hesitant on letting them come to our program with this hybrid model
Bluemoon5 10:28 AM 11-03-2020
We use a no touch thermometer at my center and I feel like it always registers low. I know I tend to run low (mid 97s) but every morning it reads me at the low to mid 96s. This morning it read 95.5. Much lower and I think I'd be suffering from hypothermia, according to the stupid thermometer.
Tags:thermometer, thermometer - no touch
Reply Up