Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Now What???
Patches 08:48 PM 01-07-2013
So I had a sub lined up when I opened for when I enrolled kids because I have to take my son to school and pick him up everyday. She lives a mile away and had a job with compatible hours that allowed her to step in for me at those times. Now, she changed jobs and can't step in for me anymore. I don't know what to do.
He can't ride the bus, I don't have extra insurance on my vehicle because I don't transport, I need to enroll some more kids before I can afford an assistant.
Ughhhh! Any ideas
blandino 08:55 PM 01-07-2013
Does he have a friend or class-mate who lives close by, whose parent is transporting to school ? Maybe offer to repay them with some sort of childcare, since you have openings. Maybe if they pick up the children from school, you could watch them for the afternoon ? Or any other arrangement that might benefit them ?!?
CrackerJacks 08:57 PM 01-07-2013
Can he catch a ride from someone in his class?

I'm actually going through a similar situation this school year with my DD. My DH works very early, we do not have a bus in our area and I have too many kiddy to transport. She currently walks to school with my neighbors in the AM and then gets a ride home from a friend in the afternoons.
Unregistered 09:14 PM 01-07-2013
Maybe see if anyone you know has a teenager or college student (depending on your state regulations) or if you know any stay-at-home moms (maybe one who lives in your neighborhood) who can pick up the kid from the bus stop (just pay them like $5 dollars each time they do it).

you can try to put ads up for an on the call bus stop aid/chaporone/helper/companion (whatever you want to call it) and maybe once attendence is up if they impress you enough maybe you can offer for them to be an assistant or sub.
Patches 09:20 PM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
Does he have a friend or class-mate who lives close by, whose parent is transporting to school ? Maybe offer to repay them with some sort of childcare, since you have openings. Maybe if they pick up the children from school, you could watch them for the afternoon ? Or any other arrangement that might benefit them ?!?
Originally Posted by CrackerJacks:
Can he catch a ride from someone in his class?

I'm actually going through a similar situation this school year with my DD. My DH works very early, we do not have a bus in our area and I have too many kiddy to transport. She currently walks to school with my neighbors in the AM and then gets a ride home from a friend in the afternoons.
Wow! What an obvious solution. I should've thought of that . I'll give it a try. Thanks!!!
countrymom 06:03 AM 01-08-2013
also call the school and explain the situation and they may be able to help you out too, like suggesting a good student or a parent who is in the same situation
nanglgrl 06:44 AM 01-08-2013
I ran in to the same situation this year. My ex (a complete jerk and not my daughters father) has a son that goes to the same school. My ex's mom or dad drive his son and my daughter. His parents aren't as bad as him but it was really, really hard to ask for help especially from him.
Lianne 06:55 AM 01-08-2013
A couple years ago I hired an older girl (11yrs old) at my B/A school kid's bus stop to walk her to and from the stop for me. I paid her $10/week and she liked the responsibility and the money She or her parents called me if she was sick and I made arrangements with one of the other parents at the bus stop to make sure she behaved for the girl and to grab her off the bus for me if the girl, for some reason, wasn't there.

The arrangement worked out well while I had that child in my care.
Patches 05:21 PM 01-08-2013
Well, I found a parent that will take hom to and from school in exchange for some babysitting So glad I don't have to stress about this tonight. By the way, I love this forum!
Tags:helper trouble, substitute
Reply Up