Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Conferences
284878 09:12 AM 05-20-2016
It is time for me to start doing conferences. I been putting it off, the whole idea makes me nervous.
I was thinking about sending home a letter but have no clue what to write.
Should I require that they do the conference or let them know they can opt out?

Can you tell me how you do a conference, from setting date and location (their home or yours) to the agenda of what you go over?
Reply
Thriftylady 09:30 AM 05-20-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
It is time for me to start doing conferences. I been putting it off, the whole idea makes me nervous.
I was thinking about sending home a letter but have no clue what to write.
Should I require that they do the conference or let them know they can opt out?

Can you tell me how you do a conference, from setting date and location (their home or yours) to the agenda of what you go over?
Good luck. I know for a fact my parents wouldn't show.
Reply
Annalee 11:26 AM 05-20-2016
What I do to meet the criteria for stars is to set a date and then a time usually 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM. I send home a note and ask parents to sign up during these times if they would like to have a conference about their child/ren. Usually I only have 3 or 4 that are interested. We go over what our goals are and if/how they are accomplished...usually it is very light and not too stressful.
Reply
284878 06:49 PM 05-20-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
What I do to meet the criteria for stars is to set a date and then a time usually 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM. I send home a note and ask parents to sign up during these times if they would like to have a conference about their child/ren. Usually I only have 3 or 4 that are interested. We go over what our goals are and if/how they are accomplished...usually it is very light and not too stressful.
So what kind of goals would you go over for a 15 month old?
Reply
kendallina 06:54 PM 05-20-2016
I set out a sign up sheet with the times that are convenient to me. Each family gets a 30-minute spot. We meet at my house. I have all preschoolers, so I keep a portfolio of the 'work' (mostly open ended art and sign in sheets) that the children do and we go over that. I also make quick notes (for my eyes only) on each child in the following areas: social, self-help, academic. I try to have specific examples (I write my quick notes while watching the kids during free play). I lead by saying that the most important thing at this age is their child's social and emotional development (I also lead each tour with this) and then I talk about what I'm seeing and ask if they see the same things at home, etc.

Ideally, a conference is a two-way conversation and not just me talking the whole time and I've gotten pretty good at making sure that's how it goes. I always dread the conferences, but really it's great and so helpful to have that time to sit down with each family and chat about their kid, any issues they're having and anything that we need to get on the same page about.
Reply
Annalee 07:52 PM 05-20-2016
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I set out a sign up sheet with the times that are convenient to me. Each family gets a 30-minute spot. We meet at my house. I have all preschoolers, so I keep a portfolio of the 'work' (mostly open ended art and sign in sheets) that the children do and we go over that. I also make quick notes (for my eyes only) on each child in the following areas: social, self-help, academic. I try to have specific examples (I write my quick notes while watching the kids during free play). I lead by saying that the most important thing at this age is their child's social and emotional development (I also lead each tour with this) and then I talk about what I'm seeing and ask if they see the same things at home, etc.

Ideally, a conference is a two-way conversation and not just me talking the whole time and I've gotten pretty good at making sure that's how it goes. I always dread the conferences, but really it's great and so helpful to have that time to sit down with each family and chat about their kid, any issues they're having and anything that we need to get on the same page about.
Most times I allow the client to lead the way at what they want to know.....but if I lead, I discuss things like motor development..i.e.walking, crawling, pulling up. Social emotional...i.e. how they relate to others & surroundings, how the child reacts with things not going their way... Cognitive....i.e. their verbal learning, expressing what they want. This can be taken as far as you want to take it. Etc, etc, etc.
Reply
Tags:conferences, meeting, parent, qris
Reply Up