Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Unpaid/Paid holidays/sick/personal/vacations
I do not charge 7 14.58%
I charge for holidays 22 45.83%
I charge for holidays/vacations 6 12.50%
I charge for holidays/vacations/personal time 2 4.17%
I charge for it all 11 22.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unpaid/Paid Holidays/Vacations/Sick/Personal-Poll
Country Kids 09:14 AM 11-21-2012
Just wanting to know how everyone charges for their time off.

This is for just the providers time off.
Willow 09:26 AM 11-21-2012
I don't charge for any of my time off.

I live within my means, budget accordingly and have a savings for emergencies so that if something comes up it doesn't leave my family in a pinch to lose my income for a day or even several. I had to take almost two weeks off last January when my daughter needed to be hospitalized three hours away and have brain surgery. It wasn't the fault of my dcf's, nor do I believe they should have had to shoulder the financial burden of things that come up with and my own children. It was tough enough for them to find alternate care, that they had to pay for, I never would have required they also continue to pay me for an inconvenience they had nothing to do with, no way to change and had no responsibility for. They sent her cards and gifts, and when I returned they brought over food so I could free up more of my evening time, which I already thought went above and beyond. When I got sick last November with histoplasmosis and had to take a week off to recoup I did and I handled it the same way. Life happens, I plan accordingly and don't expect my dcf's to pick up my financial slack while having to secure their own alternatives.

I DO charge if my families weekly scheduled hours fall below 20 though (I've never had to utilize this policy, it's more of a way to secure families who need my services full time on a very regular basis).
familyschoolcare 10:03 AM 11-21-2012
I charge for 10 holidays a year schedule comes out in May starts mid June (first day of summer), and 5 personal/sick days. Last year I did not use all my sick days. I also don't charge extra for teacher in service days.
lovemykidstoo 10:09 AM 11-21-2012
when is says vacations, is that provider vacation or families/client vacation?
AnneCordelia 10:13 AM 11-21-2012
I voted that I charge for holidays but that's not entirely true.

I charge for all stat holidays.
I charge 1/2 rate for full time client's vacations, up to two weeks. No discount for part time clients.
I charge for 2 sick days per year.
I do not charge for my own vacation.
SunshineMama 10:41 AM 11-21-2012
I charge for most federal holidays.

I do not charge for my vacation time. And I give the families a week of free vacation time to use as well.
Lucy 11:49 AM 11-21-2012
I charge a weekly amount (or my old method of a monthly amount for 2 of my old-timers, but switching to weekly as new ones come in). The amount never changes for ANY reason. It's the same 52 weeks per year (or 12 months per year). Makes it a whole lot easier for everybody. No having to figure the math when they take days off, or when I'm sick, etc. No keeping track of how many free days they have left for the year, etc. etc. Ugh. I hate the recordkeeping, so I try to reduce it wherever I can.

Also, there's NO DISCUSSIONS about "How much do I owe you this week? ... Oh, I have to PAY for that day we were out?? Why?" nonsense.
Heidi 11:54 AM 11-21-2012
I charge for about 10 holidays a year, the standards plus the good Friday and the day after Thankgiving. That one, I found especially I would get kids so that the parents could go shopping; most of them had it off. Not saying they can't shop, but I wanted to take it off, and they didn't NEED to work, so...yeah..

I charge for 3 paid personal/sick days.

My vacation they don't pay

Their days off they do.
Holiday Park 12:14 PM 11-21-2012
I charge for all days I am open, which does include some holidays that most people are off . So I guess this is one instance they pay for holidays that they might not be here,if absent.

I will be charging full rate client's vacations, and 1/2 the weekly rate if I'm given advance notice of 3 months or more.

I will be charging for 2 sick days per year . I just read where another poster felt this sounds fair since, its the daycare kids that get us sick most often, in the first place. So I agree and will do sick days for the first time ! However, I'm planning to give 10 sick days to full time clients, (again,copying someone else) because like the person who said they do that, I too am strict about illness and would rather them take sick days unpaid,then bring their kid here sick.

I do not charge for my own vacation/any days I close , HOWEVER.... They will have to pay for the week of care following the vacation, BEFORE the vacation is taken,not after. This will apply also,if they go on vacation. Payment for week after their vacation needs to be made BEFORE they go on vacation.
Now to figure out how to write those up ... I'm hoping to get my handbook done by the end of this month,but it could be as late as mid Dec (still giving them 2 weeks notice) . I want everything to start fresh January 1st :-) We'll see.
Scout 01:08 PM 11-21-2012
I give 2 weeks free to use as they want, cus i know my ds was sick often when little. My Vacations are free of charge. Holidays are paid only if the child is normally here on rhat day of the week...so a on, wed, fri wouldnt be charged for thanksgiving & if a holiday is on a weekend its no charge for all. My sick days are also free of charge. Basically that is one month off for free, this year at least!
littlemissmuffet 05:17 PM 11-21-2012
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I charge a weekly amount (or my old method of a monthly amount for 2 of my old-timers, but switching to weekly as new ones come in). The amount never changes for ANY reason. It's the same 52 weeks per year (or 12 months per year). Makes it a whole lot easier for everybody. No having to figure the math when they take days off, or when I'm sick, etc. No keeping track of how many free days they have left for the year, etc. etc. Ugh. I hate the recordkeeping, so I try to reduce it wherever I can.

Also, there's NO DISCUSSIONS about "How much do I owe you this week? ... Oh, I have to PAY for that day we were out?? Why?" nonsense.
Same here. I get make the exact same income 12 months of the year. I love it.
Country Kids 06:51 PM 11-25-2012
I found the results of this very interesting per the discussion on the other thread about paid vacations and such.

15 of the voters have just paid holidays

6 have paid vacations/holidays/sick/personal time

3 voters don't charge at all

3 voters have paid holidays/vacations

Tally of 27 voters and the majority take just paid holidays.

So this makes me wonder if really that many providers take paid vacations.
littlemissmuffet 08:30 PM 11-25-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I found the results of this very interesting per the discussion on the other thread about paid vacations and such.

15 of the voters have just paid holidays

6 have paid vacations/holidays/sick/personal time

3 voters don't charge at all

3 voters have paid holidays/vacations

Tally of 27 voters and the majority take just paid holidays.

So this makes me wonder if really that many providers take paid vacations.
Of 31 voters 11 take paid vacations and 17 only take paid holidays... so yes, the majority of those who voted don't take paid vacation... but not by much.
littlemissmuffet 08:41 PM 11-25-2012
Here's another poll regarding paid vacation vs unpaid vacation from this year: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...id+vacation%22

the results show it's almost tied between those who take paid and those who take unpaid vacations
Countrygal 03:55 AM 11-26-2012
I take only three paid holidays, and then only if they fall on a weekday. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.

I also get one week paid vacation.

I'm new, but most of my parents expected to pay vacation, so I went ahead and put it in my policies. Next year I believe I will add one or two holiday days, or maybe I'll split up my vacation days, or maybe I'll just take them without pay..... but I find I need the day before TG and Christmas to prepare for the holiday for my family (only because my daycare is open 12 hours a day....) I do not charge for days I am sick.
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 11-26-2012
I didn't vote because there is no option that describes how I take paid time off.

I charge for a few holidays that I take off but I don't take ALL federal holidays off.

I also charge a fee for my vacation time but I don't charge a full rate to my families.

I also do not charge for any unscheduled time off or sick days I take.

So I didn't vote because I didn't feel that any of the options provided acurately applied.
Mom&Provider 09:15 AM 11-26-2012
I charge for Government holidays and nothing else. If I'm off sick/vacaiton they don't pay and they also have 5 sick days to use through the year however they choose which are also not paid.
littlemissmuffet 02:34 PM 11-26-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Here's another poll regarding paid vacation vs unpaid vacation from this year: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...id+vacation%22

the results show it's almost tied between those who take paid and those who take unpaid vacations

And it's beginning to look like this poll will tie as well! Currently, of 43 voters 19 don't charge for vacation time, 18 charge for vacation time and 6 don't charge for any time they are closed!
Country Kids 03:15 PM 11-26-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
And it's beginning to look like this poll will tie as well! Currently, of 43 voters 19 don't charge for vacation time, 18 charge for vacation time and 6 don't charge for any time they are closed!
I had only 6 show up on my poll just know charging for vacation time. Is mine not updating? Great my own poll isn't working-
littlemissmuffet 04:07 PM 11-26-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I had only 6 show up on my poll just know charging for vacation time. Is mine not updating? Great my own poll isn't working-
6 charge for holidays/vacations
2 charge for holidays/vacations/personal time
11 charge for ALL

20 charge only for holidays and 6 charge for nothing
Reply Up