Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Feel Guilty When
MissAnn 11:25 AM 03-12-2014
A kid lays awake for an hour. She listens to audio books and also has books to read. She is new and parents told me she doesn't need as much sleep as most kids. Usually kids sleep here....I've never had a non sleeper.
Imagination's Creations 11:28 AM 03-12-2014
Nope! I dont feel guilty at all! Its the only break we providers get all day. I have a rule: I dont really care if the child sleeps or not but they need to lay quietly on their cot. I dont even give them books because none of them would nap then and I would have crabby children all afternoon.
Shell 11:29 AM 03-12-2014
I have this child (same one I mentioned earlier today in another post). I give her books, puzzles, etc. She never naps, and everyone else does, even kids that are a year older. I used to feel bad about it, but now, it's just the way it goes...
Blackcat31 11:31 AM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
A kid lays awake for an hour. She listens to audio books and also has books to read. She is new and parents told me she doesn't need as much sleep as most kids. Usually kids sleep here....I've never had a non sleeper.
Nope, I would not feel guilty.

She is exercising her listening and reading skills.

It's important to have quiet time no matter what age you are.

I'd feel guilty if she were just lying there with nothing to do but she's not so...it's all good.
Kabob 11:33 AM 03-12-2014
I don't feel guilty either but as others said, she has things to do that are quiet. Even laying quietly seems to help some kids be more perky and happy afterwards...less crabby moments at least.
meekgirl123 11:37 AM 03-12-2014
I have a non napper and as far as I see it...it is good for them to entertain themselves quietly. Children need down time and it gives both you and the child a break to regroup and re-energize for the afternoon and into the evening.
MissAnn 11:44 AM 03-12-2014
Thank you! I don't feel guilty but I worry about complaints to the parents and then "that phone call"......asking fot little Susie to get to get up for nap....no, she may not. I need to read daycare.com, Facebook, and candy crush without interruption!
Second Home 11:44 AM 03-12-2014
I xo not feel guilty either . I had 1 who did not nap . I tried to let her play quietly but she was never able to be quiet .So she had to lay down and rest after about 30 minutes when I knew all the others were sound asleep she could look at books as long as she stayed quiet.
llpa 11:45 AM 03-12-2014
No guilt here... As providers we need and deserve at least an hr to regroup. I also agree that it is good for dcks to have to be calm and entertain themselves.
Cat Herder 11:50 AM 03-12-2014
No guilt because you are preparing this child for school.

Having the strong skill set to be independently quiet and allow for the needs of the other students will be vital in her success at school.

This child will be required to sit still and be quiet for hours on end soon, better the child has a transition period to that expectation.

I remember personal reading time as a reward, not a punishment. Not every child has the blessing of nice books to read at home. I know it is our job to look at what we can do better, but we need to give ourselves credit for what gifts we are already offering.
TaylorTots 11:55 AM 03-12-2014
I never feel guilty. Like BC said, she has something to do. No worries
Tags:book choices, non-nappers, quiet time, quiet time - length, reading
Reply Up