Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fifth's Disease
wdmmom 09:28 AM 05-20-2014
What is everyone's policy on Fifth's disease?

I had a DCM tell me on Friday that she was notified that the preschool she was at had a confirmed case. Later that day she fell ill and went to the doctor.

Yesterday she told me that she had Fifth's and DCB had a temp of 100.3 so she was guessing he had it too. I told her he may not be able to attend Thursday either (his next scheduled day). She said she would contact me tomorrow about his condition.

Should I exclude on Thursday as well?
TwinKristi 09:30 AM 05-20-2014
I would go day by day. First they have the fever and then they have a rash. I'm surprised mom was sick and went to the dr and was diagnosed so quickly. A fever could be from anything and most adults don't get the rash, they get sore, swollen joints. Some do get the rash, but not most.
As far as the child goes, once the fever is gone and the rash appears they are typically no longer contagious BUT if your contract/policy is to exclude for rashes, then you need to exclude until his rash (or any other symptom) is 100% gone.
Blackcat31 09:31 AM 05-20-2014
Here are the info sheets I have on Fifths

Here is the parent sheet
http://www.hennepin.us/~/media/henne...fth-parent.pdf

Here is the provider sheet
http://www.hennepin.us/~/media/henne...0-s6-fifth.pdf
wdmmom 09:38 AM 05-20-2014
The mom got a fever and has the swollen, sore joints.

As of now, dcb just has the fever and "cold" associated in the first stages.

I do exclude for rashes other than diaper rash.

He's also 8 months old so drool, teething, etc is a regular daily routine...which I notice is how it is spread.
TwinKristi 09:40 AM 05-20-2014
Yep, so you have to wait til he gets the rash and then go from there. I would just expect to have him out all week if he hasn't gotten a rash yet.
wdmmom 04:31 PM 05-20-2014
DCM took him to the doctor today and she pulled the "The doctor doesn't think it's Fifths but a respiratory virus since he has a cold and is congested."

(She knows my rules which is that I must have a diagnosis written out and I then determine whether a child can attend.")

She did say his fever is back and is hanging out between 101 and 103.

I told her to follow up with me tomorrow but chances are he will not be able to attend Thursday.
TwinKristi 04:57 PM 05-20-2014
Pshhh... sounds like Fifths to me!!
Reply Up