Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Off Topic- Question about Going Back To School
JeepGirl6 12:13 PM 11-07-2014
I currently have my Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education. I have been considering going back to school to get my Bachelors so I can teach in a pulic school. I will be operating my home daycare 6 years in January. My son is almost 15 months old. We plan to have 1-2 more children. I will be 29 years old in February. Just to give you a little background info.

I was wondering if any of you have received your degree by doing everything online. I am looking into online schools such as Pheonix & Ashford but I just dont know much about them. Will it be difficult getting a teaching job at a public school with having an online degree instead of actually going to a classroom?

Any advice/opinions appreciated. Thank you in advance!
momtomany74 12:40 PM 11-07-2014
Following
cheerfuldom 02:27 PM 11-07-2014
Why not look into local school programs? Many offer a lot online and then you can do evening classes for the in-seat. I dont personally know of anyone that gives a teaching degree with no formal student teaching. But it would be great for you to explore all your options. Doing a local program gives you an "in" for a regular job if you have student taught and have local references. It is usually for one semester so perhaps you can start saving up or use student loan funds to help make ends meet for that time down the road, where you wouldnt be able to do daycare and the student teaching. I would make appts with local college admissions counselors and check out those options.....assuming you have some local options.
sahm1225 04:41 PM 11-07-2014
Are you in illinois? Gateway for opportunities gives scholarships to daycare providers towards childhood education classes.

I am currently taking an online class (human development) through my local community college. I've only had to go in a handful of times (signing papers, test, etc). I do my assignments late at night or weekrnds.

Good luck!
originalkat 05:55 PM 11-08-2014
Most programs require a teaching practicum (usually 16-weeks full time) at the end of your teacher ed courses. There are some programs that do have the teacher ed courses online, but you would still have to do the classroom teaching practicum. This varies by state so you need to check the specific requirements. But if I were you, I would go with a state school online instead of the ones you mentioned.

Honestly, that is what stopped me from completing my teaching degree. I could not afford to be off work that long without pay. The other thing to consider is if you plan to have 1-2 more children, you would have to put them in daycare. For me, that just was a no-brainer. I was not going to put my kids in daycare so I chose to stay in home daycare.

I will finish my BA in Child Development and Human Services this December. I did everything online through Fort Hays State University. I LOVED it! Now I am applying to a Masters program in Early Childhood and Family Development (all online) through Missouri State Univ. They are very affordable.
dave4him 06:15 PM 11-08-2014
I am in the same place as you, or at least I was. I have my AA degree and am now going on campus four days a week during the day to gain my BA so I can teach elementary school. Its the best way for me since my own kids are now in school full time. Of course it also managed to limit my ability to watch other kids. So right now I have no other kids I watch and really not much of a daycare. I do not know about the online courses, I am pretty sure any course work you take will involve being in classrooms though at some point.
EchoMom 07:19 PM 11-08-2014
I got my Bachelor's degree and teaching license at a traditional university campus after completing student teaching. Then got my Master's degree from Phoenix online.
Blackcat31 08:11 AM 11-09-2014
Almost all of the state universities in my state offer a Bachelor's degree in Education on-line. I completed mine that way.

The only thing I had to do face to face was my practicum and my student teaching but since I choose ECE Birth-grade 3, I did all of that through our local Early Childhood Education programs which offer many weekend and evening classes for parents.

I'd check your state universities as well as your local Child Care Resource and Referral agencies as they offer grants and info for providers.
missy 08:51 PM 11-10-2014
It can be done! I'm sure you could find ways to fulfill any student teaching requirements after hours and weekends. Now is the time to do it, before those other 2 kids come:-)

I got my Master's all online and just loved it. I could do my work at any hour of the day/night so that it didn't interfere with my job. (Some require you to participate certain times of the day).

Good luck!
Reply Up