Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is running a preschool with the mother Goose program good enough?
Unregistered 03:12 PM 01-26-2015
Hello,

Ive been running a Daycare for a little while now but after a few families asked me neither or not I was going to offer a preschool program, I decided to give it a try.

I choose the Mother Goose Curriculum and pick a few exercise books (math, writing etc..) we also have a music and dance teacher weekly.

But I am worry it will not be enough "learning" for the kids. I do not want them to be behind once they start kindergarten.

Do any of you run a preschool?
Do you believe that the Mother goose curriculum will be enough?
midaycare 03:25 PM 01-26-2015
Short answer: it's enough. I use it.
Thriftylady 03:26 PM 01-26-2015
I am still trying to restart my daycare after many years away from it. I make up my own curriculum, and tell parents what I plan to offer. I also tell parents that young children often learn more from play than anything. Forcing children into "book learning" can become a disaster sometimes. You decide what you are going to do, and tell the parents exactly what your intentions are. I tell parents we will be learning, but they will not be coming home with papers every day. I don't think they need papers every day. Sometimes more is learned with a plastic tub of water and things that sink or float and such.
daycare 04:31 PM 01-26-2015
We are all different and we all teach in different ways.

I don't like MGT and I don't think that it meets MY states standards for preschool. When I did try it out years ago, they were in the process of getting it to meet the state standards, but not too sure if they ever did.

Perhaps you can find out if your state accepts this as meeting the state standards. They might have this information on their website
Starburst 04:43 PM 01-26-2015
My CD teachers usually pushed for more hands-on, child lead non-cookie cutter curriculums; but one of my teachers was like a child development Nazi where only her way was the right way. But, some parents don't think it's really school unless there are work sheets and computers, because they don't understand young children learn through play and sensory.
midaycare 04:52 PM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
We are all different and we all teach in different ways.

I don't like MGT and I don't think that it meets MY states standards for preschool. When I did try it out years ago, they were in the process of getting it to meet the state standards, but not too sure if they ever did.

Perhaps you can find out if your state accepts this as meeting the state standards. They might have this information on their website
I believe - and maybe I'm wrong - but now it meets state standards. I just started using it this month.

To the OP:

For the group I have, it's wonderful. But I don't teach from curriculum alone. In a home daycare (I think you said you were home), you usually have differing ages and you need to constantly readjust to the age groups and how they are learning in that stage. Which is also pretty cool, because if you taught the same thing a few months apart, the kids who weren't understanding certain concepts may now get them, and you can take the learning further with the older ones, etc.

I use the curriculum, but loosely. If no one is interested that day, or a day's lesson doesn't suit us, we do our own thing.

The parents who expect papers coming home every day - they are weird. You don't want those parents ;-) These are children, and most of the learning should be through play. But I do understand parents wanting curriculum. That's why I have one!
Reply Up