Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How do I word this?
Unregistered 05:19 PM 05-02-2015
I mostly have a good group of kids. Most of them are aging out. I'm thinking of letting this go, but I don't want any new kids doing this. I want a way to word it in my handbook. I don't want students bringing back art or gifts I give them. For example, on the Thursday before Easter we made bunny ears and I gave them little candy filled eggs as the parents came. A few students came in with the ears on the Monday following Easter. The other students were upset. There's one child who constantly does it. They did it on Valentine's and St. Paddy's. I feel they like that they have it and the other children don't at that exact moment. I also don't enjoy being asked to make the project over and over again when the children see the craft being brought back. This had happened with a lot of wearable art and gifts. This particular student keeps bringing in the ears and egg. I know talking to their parents is just really not going to help as there are other issues they don't solve. I was thinking of putting this in my handbook and contract for new families. I want to know how to word it without sounding snotty. Also, it mean to throw these things out? My husband says I should just throw it while the child naps and claim they lost it, but I would feel guilty.
Thriftylady 05:46 PM 05-02-2015
I have a "no items brought from home policy", I think it would cover this.
rosieteddy 05:20 AM 05-04-2015
I would just post /put it under the "NO ITEMS BROUGHT FROM HOME" rule in your handbook.Say something like 'ARTICLES AND PROJECTS MADE AT DAYCARE SHOULD BE ENJOYED AT HOME.PLEASE DO NOT BRING THEM BACK AND FORTH TO DAYCARE.ONCE SENT HOME SHOULD STAY THERE . Some times things need to be spelled out for parents. For the group now I would send a reminder ,but spell it out.
bklsmum 05:38 AM 05-04-2015
I agree about a reminder. Some parents just have to be told absolutely everything. I know how frustrating that can be!
Starburst 07:45 AM 05-04-2015
How about in addition to the 'no things from home' rule you have a 'once it goes home, it stays home' (unless requested by you) rule. And explain that once the daycare is done with a project and a holiday has passes that the group moves on and focuses on the present and future (this will also help kids to realize that while holidays are fun, they are only special because they are only one day a year).
daycare 08:17 AM 05-04-2015
I have a no toys/items from home policy as well, but i don't think I would be bothered by it if the kids were bringing back things that we made here.

I would just tell the other kids well you didn't bring yours. Sorry, but life isn't always fair/equal.

When my kids bring things in from previous days art just like anything else, it goes in their box.

They have two choices, put it in your box or give it to your parent to take back home.
AmyKidsCo 09:00 AM 05-04-2015
I don't mind items brought from home unless they cause a problem, like you have. In that case I'll ask the child (while parent is there) " Is Mom taking this back to the car now?" If the parent doesn't get the hint or child says no, then as soon as the parent leaves I take the item and put it away until the child goes home. Then I hand the item to the parent and say that it caused s problem today so it should probably stay in the car or home next time.
Reply Up