Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>NC Daycare Licensing
cmp87874 12:57 PM 09-11-2015
I will try to make this as brief as possible. My daughter and I were operating a daycare from my home but were unlicensed due only to the fact that we thought we were under the maximum amount of children to require a license. We regrettably took in a child and parent that turned out to be a nightmare and we parted ways. The parent turned around and reported us not only for being unlicensed but made allegations that my house was filthy, the children were filthy, I had animals running around my home, children were never supervised and I had an un fenced yard. The representatives from CPS and the childcare agency both were in disbelief when they entered my home and found us in the middle of circle time in a clean organized home with one dog and a fish tank and a privacy fenced backyard play area. They pointed out that I had no way of preparing for their visit and I explained to them that my house looks that way every day. I have mounds of evidence to support that her allegations are false. I have cried constantly since this happened as I've now lost my income and had the humiliation of being reported to CPS. My main question is for licensed NC providers. The process here is extremely confusing so I just need to know what steps you took to get licensed. I have already confirmed that my house is zoned for home daycare but now I'm at a standstill because I can't reach anyone for help. We need to have 8 full time children to make enough income for my daughter and myself. We will not be taking children under 2 and I may need to convert my garage into the play area to have the required space but I don't know if that's allowed. Any help would be appreciated. We really are good care givers who just did a stupid thing.
CelebrateLife 01:50 PM 09-11-2015
I am in NC also. I haven't opened my daycare yet, but I'm researching getting licensed. I found out about ccr&r (childcare resources and referrals) I emailed them, and there is a person there whose job is to walk people like us through the process. It has been really helpful so far. NC regulations are really strict. You can only care for 5 under school age. If you want 8 that would have to be at least 3 school aged kids. I don't know how that would be possible during the school year. How many kids were you caring for? I will be starting with just 2 since that is the maximum you can have without being licensed.
cmp87874 03:36 PM 09-11-2015
We already had two that missed the cut off for school so they are five so we may just have to with seven but be careful because the law says that the two that you have can't be there more than fours hours a day. All you need is one disgruntled parent. Thank you for the information on that agency, I will definitely contact them.
snbauser 05:19 PM 09-11-2015
NC has 3 different licenses...Family Child Care Homes, Center in a Residence, and Centers. I live in NC and have actually held all 3 licenses at different times. I'm currently FCCH.

FCCH can have either 5 preschoolers or 5 preschoolers plus 3 school agers but it depends on your local ordinances. The definition of school ager is NOT by age. In order for a child to be considered a school ager they must have attended their first day of Kindergarten. For the most part FCCH licensing isn't that difficult but can vary depending on local regs. You need a high school diploma, negative TB test, criminal background check on anyone 16 or older in the household or around the kids, CPR/First Aid, and Emergency Preparedness Training (this is new). You also need to have met any local requirements for zoning and businesses - for instance I need a business license from my city.

CIR is much more difficult as far as rules and regs. Basically for a CIR you can have up to 12 children depending on age and the size of the areas in your home that you use for daycare but you have to follow almost all of the center rules. You need the things listed above plus you need health department/sanitation inspections, fire inspections, playground safety training, and communicable disease training. You also have to attend a mandatory 2 day center orientation course before even being assigned a licensing consultant and before getting an application.

Centers are a whole other can of worms.

As I said, I've done all 3 so I would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have. I would also advise you to be VERY careful about making sure you are following the rules from now until you are actually licensed as giving yourself the reputation of not following the rules will hurt you in the licensing process as well as in the number of visits you will receive each year.
cmp87874 08:15 AM 09-12-2015
We have completely shut down until we are licensed. Not taking any chances. Thank you for the info on the ages. We are going to start with the basic license and may upgrade later. I was told that I am zoned for 8 children and do not need a business license in my county. I am going to pick up my zoning permit on Monday. Thank you so much for the information.
snbauser 04:32 AM 09-13-2015
Good luck! And if I can help with anything else, don't hesitate to contact me.
Reply Up