Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Pick Up
Msdunny 01:05 PM 09-24-2019
I have a mom who consistently texts me once a week, asking for late pickup (anywhere from half an hour to one hour after contracted time). I would like to put an end to this. Any tips? If you charge, how much? Thanks!
Blackcat31 01:11 PM 09-24-2019
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I have a mom who consistently texts me once a week, asking for late pickup (anywhere from half an hour to one hour after contracted time). I would like to put an end to this. Any tips? If you charge, how much? Thanks!
Late pick ups PLANNED AND APPROVED IN ADVANCE (24 hr min) are billed at $x per 15 minutes. Late pick ups the same day with or without a heads up are subject to $1 per minute the first time, $2 per minute the second time and immediate termination the third time.

I refuse to work with people who do not value my time.

I can work with planned late pick ups if I have nothing else going on but the last minute texts would not be acceptable to me.

If she is doing it on a regular basis I would suggest to her that she find a back up pick up person she can text to pick up her child on time verses texting you.

Is she needing late pick up because she's actually working late or just because?
knoxmomof2 01:58 PM 09-24-2019
Just let her know that the late pick ups are becoming too much. If you're fine with it as long as you have notice, just tell her you need 24 hours notice for a late pick up and you'll let her know if you're available. If you want money, tell her that late pick up will cost x amount for each additional half hour or whatever. You have to be able to back up your policies and be prepared to terminate care if she doesn't follow them.

I tell my families at interviews that my time and my pay are things I expect to be respected or we can't work together. That weeds out a lot of inconsiderate people because it offends them.
Snowmom 02:08 PM 09-24-2019
Elaborate please.
You said you want to put an end to it but want to charge, so I'm a bit confused.
Cat Herder 02:21 PM 09-24-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Elaborate please.
You said you want to put an end to it but want to charge, so I'm a bit confused.
Same.

If you want it to stop say No.

If you want to make money charge heavily for it.
CountryRoads 02:27 PM 09-24-2019
I personally would tell her no. Our days don't end when their kids go home and I wish parents understood this. I would just let her know that you value your family time and can't accommodate any late pick-ups. Or just say you have other obligations if that fits your situation better.

Just want to add that I don't have late fees in my contract because late pick-ups are not an option. I ask that they please respect our family time and repeated late pick-ups can result in termination.

I'm back and forth on it because I do occasionally have late pick-ups and wish I got paid for it - but I also don't want parents to look at it like "hey, I'll just run to the store and pay the extra $$" because it's not a big deal for them. I like knowing that (most of the time) my day ends at X time and can make plans accordingly.
Msdunny 04:47 PM 09-24-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Elaborate please.
I didn’t type out what I was thinking very well. Sorry. I don’t want to do it any longer. And I will probably let mom know the later hours won’t work for me. However, I do have other kids most days during this time, so if I could charge enough to make it work it, I would. I was just wondering how you all charge when parents need and hour or so here and there.

I’ll be honest, I’ve been spoiled with the hours I have had the past year and i think I’m just not looking forward to longer days.
rosieteddy 05:19 AM 09-25-2019
If I still had other children still in care I would charge her a 20. fee in cash at pick-up.I would consider that worth it.If she wants an hour after everyones gone that would be a deal breaker.
Ariana 06:15 AM 09-25-2019
I didn’t type out what I was thinking very well. Sorry. I don’t want to do it any longer. And I will probably let mom know the later hours won’t work for me. However, I do have other kids most days during this time, so if I could charge enough to make it work it, I would. I was just wondering how you all charge when parents need and hour or so here and there.

I’ll be honest, I’ve been spoiled with the hours I have had the past year and i think I’m just not looking forward to longer days.
This is kind of where I run into issues as well. I have other kids so they don’t see the issue. I would charge her a $X amount late pickup fee and make it NOT worth her while, as in 3/4 of my daily rate or something. I personally do not charge as long as they are within the hours they are paying for but will be changing soon I think.
Snowmom 06:21 AM 09-25-2019

No problem.

I'm gathering you have contracted hours for each family since you mentioned kids are still at your house during the times they are asking for additional hour(s).

If it were me, the next time they ask for extra time, I would say one of 3 things.
1. Unfortunately, I'm not available today. Added time on top of your contracted hours are only available when scheduled 48 hours or more in advance and on a case by case basis.
2. I am only available until X time (last pick up). The fee for adding overtime has changed. I now charge $10 for every 15 minutes or part of.
3. I am no longer scheduling overtime.

With #2, the fee is high enough to deter people from scheduling overtime unless absolutely necessary.

I also remind families frequently (because I am contracted hours), "if you see others here after your normal pu time, it is because they are paying for that time- they pay more than you. Please respect that by staying within your own contracted timeframe."
LittleExplorers 10:17 AM 09-25-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
This is kind of where I run into issues as well. I have other kids so they don’t see the issue. I would charge her a $X amount late pickup fee and make it NOT worth her while, as in 3/4 of my daily rate or something. I personally do not charge as long as they are within the hours they are paying for but will be changing soon I think.

Dear mom, it seems as though our current contracted hours are no longer working for you. Tuition is based on the number of hours x is in care. Effective next week, your new weekly tuition would be x. If you wish to stay with your current contract, late pick ups will no longer be an option.

I would charge her for the whole wee and change her hours or deny all late pick ups. It seems you don't want to do it, so I would either increase the weekly rate or not allow it. My parents do not get to choose their contracted hours daily.

With that said, I have great families so if something comes up and they will still be picking up before I close, I will work with them. It rarely happens and my current families all respect me and my family time.
Tags:late pick up fee, late pickup
Reply Up