Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Cover My Butt?
Hazel 03:52 PM 12-11-2012
I had a a DCF ask to bring moms niece and nephew today while sister is in town working. Of course I agreed and everything went great until they left.
Mom is carrying 18mo nephew and walking 3yo niece. DCD is carrying 20mo DCG and walking with 4 yo DCB... They have their hands full with diaper bags and lunch bags ect... Dad gets to last step and they are all jumbled at the bottom so dad tells 4yo to get moving... All of a sudden dad looses it and goes down! My bottom step is only 2 inches off the sidewalk, steps are in perfect condition. A Railing is available and in good condition (dont think he was using it), steps are free and clear of ice, snow, leaves or whatever you could think. Dad goes down on to his knees but starts to fall forward on his face, so to save DCG he rolls as he falls. DCG still ends up bumping her head on the curb by sliding up his body and over his shoulder a bit.
Now, I was right there.I was leaving with them and Saw it all! Dad admitted his ankle rolled. He admitted he had broken it several times before.
I jumped right in when it happened, took nephew so DCM could get DCG (she would want mom anyway).
I took all three of the other kids so mom could sooth DCG and dad could get up then helped him get the 2 in his car. Then went to check on DCG in moms car. Mom admitted that he rolled it.
Should I write an incident report? I've never had to before, not for something like this. I DOUBT they would even try to sue me, but its usually when you don't expect it to that it happens...
If you think I should, does anyone have any layout ideas of how it should look? What I should include? I don't want to offend them by acting like I think they would sue, just think I should cover my butt... Any suggestions?
SunshineMama 04:07 PM 12-11-2012
I'd write it down on an email to myself and send it to me, just in case. I have a daycare folder in my email where I keep tidbits like that... Just in case.
Hazel 04:08 PM 12-11-2012
You don't think I should have him sign anything? I don't want to upset them but I'm nervous.
sharlan 04:21 PM 12-11-2012
Personally, I would write up an incident report and ask them to sign it. Just explain that all incidents have to be documented per licensing.
Scout 04:43 PM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Personally, I would write up an incident report and ask them to sign it. Just explain that all incidents have to be documented per licensing.
I am legally unlisenced but. I would also do this.
daycare 04:48 PM 12-11-2012
report or not, the family can still sue you. You ALWAYS need to (C-YA, aka cover your a$$)

anytime something happens incident or accident, you need to record it. It is being factual. This way if you ever do end up in court, you have pure facts of what happened at the time and you are not telling them from "the best that you can recall or remember"

When I had to go to court for my best friends accident, I did not record anything that I knew happened. Court came about a year later and I was told to say: "from what I can remember" this or that happened.

the judge said since you are TRYING to recall facts from this event, we are going to dismiss your input....

It is always always smart to document anything that can come back to bite you later....
bunnyslippers 05:34 PM 12-11-2012
Document this. have them sign, and CYA! Write down every last detail. Immediately!

Good luck!
Countrygal 05:50 PM 12-11-2012
I have worked in law enforcement in another life. Write up an incident report and have them sign AND DATE it. Report only what you, personally, saw and/or heard. What did you see happen and what did they say, exactly as you remember it. Do not add into it at all. Facts, facts, facts in chronological order and nothing more. Include, as you have here, a description of the area and any obstacles or lack thereof. But DON'T put in things like "I don't think he used it". If you don't know, don't write it down.

That's how we used to write them for law enforcement so they'd stand up in court!

Hope this helps!
Hazel 06:19 PM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
I have worked in law enforcement in another life. Write up an incident report and have them sign AND DATE it. Report only what you, personally, saw and/or heard. What did you see happen and what did they say, exactly as you remember it. Do not add into it at all. Facts, facts, facts in chronological order and nothing more. Include, as you have here, a description of the area and any obstacles or lack thereof. But DON'T put in things like "I don't think he used it". If you don't know, don't write it down.

That's how we used to write them for law enforcement so they'd stand up in court!

Hope this helps!
Immensely! Thank you!
Any to the others, do you mean C-YA as in term them? I couldn't do that. My enrollment is so low that they are my only full timers and have 2 kids! Ugh I just couldn't. They are the nicest people and the kids are awesome!
daycare 06:21 PM 12-11-2012
Originally Posted by Hazel:
Immensely! Thank you!
Any to the others, do you mean C-YA as in term them? I couldn't do that. My enrollment is so low that they are my only full timers and have 2 kids! Ugh I just couldn't. They are the nicest people and the kids are awesome!
noooooo CYA stand for COVER YOUR A$$....
Hazel 06:21 PM 12-11-2012
Oh, haha.. CYA .. Cover my .... Yea, when I saw it as C-YA to reminded me of what my kids text to me! Lol. I get it! Duh!
melilley 06:17 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by Hazel:
Oh, haha.. CYA .. Cover my .... Yea, when I saw it as C-YA to reminded me of what my kids text to me! Lol. I get it! Duh!
Don't feel bad, I thought the same thing when I read this. lol
Tags:incident report, liability
Reply Up