Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New DCF - Having Doubts
craftymissbeth 01:30 PM 05-12-2014
I enrolled a new family with a 3 mo, 1 yo, and 5 yo last week and today was supposed to be their first day. I gave them the paperwork last Monday and talked to her over the weekend. She was going to pay for the first week today.

Their schedule is Monday through Friday 12-6:30. Mom works 2-10 and her bf works until 6:00. I told her they need drop off at 12 because I don't want drop offs during nap.

Anyway, they never showed at 12. I texted her asking if she still was interested in my available spots and she said yes, but she was enroll ing at the community college. Ugh. She still intended on bringing them, but by this time it was the middle of nap so I told her she can drop off at 2:30 (and explained why). She said "ok awesome! Were so pumped!"

They never showed. It's now 3:28 and I'm having big time second thoughts. This family would be taking my last two infant spots... so these are coveted openings in my area. It takes 5 seconds to send a quick text to let me know they aren't coming today. I held nap off 15 minutes waiting and then snack for 15 minutes waiting again.

WWYD?
TwinKristi 01:39 PM 05-12-2014
Ugh that's so tough!! My first thought is to give her one chance, explain you run a tight ship and no-shows are a major no-no for you. Explain that you have people who want these spots and if she's not coming, you need to fill the spots. You're out income now and unsure that this will be the right fit for her family if she's unable to accurately communicate their scheduling needs.
craftymissbeth 01:55 PM 05-12-2014
I forgot to add that I missed my bil's high school graduation tonight because of them. It's at 7, but I was obviously expecting to have their kids til 6:30 and wouldn't have made it... well, I couldn't get ready in time while I still had dck's and my family went on without me. It's out of town and don't feel comfortable driving alone since I'll be driving home alone after dark. Before enroll ing them, the plan was to get ready in the morning before any kids got here so I'd be ready to ride with family. I could have gone had I known they weren't planning on showing.
MarinaVanessa 02:08 PM 05-12-2014
Face to face ...

"You know, It's important to me that we both have communication and consistency with each other and already twice today there has been no follow through on your end. I need you to communicate changes in your schedule like if you're going to drop off late and such and then stick to it. If you need something with more flexibility then I'm sorry but clients that need to drop off whenever they feel like it doesn't work for me. I don't work like that. Will this be a problem for you in the future?"

And then let her take it from there.

I think that this issue needs to be addressed and remember that different providers work differently. Maybe this family doesn't have experience with child care that requires drop offs and pick ups that are consistent so addressing it now to make it clear is best. Maybe she just thinks that dropping off whenever she wants to is okay because that's what she was used to at her last daycare.

I always go over how the schedule they sign for accounts for the drop-off and pick-up times and that they can't just give me a start and end time and then just drop-off and pick up between those times whenever they feel like it KWIM. LOTS of people I interview are new to this "concept" especially if they are coming from a center.
craftymissbeth 02:13 PM 05-12-2014
Oh, this is their first daycare experience, so I realize they're new to the whole thing. But I explained to her very specifically that they're going to have to be here right at their drop off time and at or before their pick up time in order for me to even consider taking them on. Their drop off is right before nap and their pick up time is 1.5 hours past my closing time. I discussed all of that at our interview.
MarinaVanessa 02:19 PM 05-12-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Oh, this is their first daycare experience, so I realize they're new to the whole thing. But I explained to her very specifically that they're going to have to be here right at their drop off time and at or before their pick up time in order for me to even consider taking them on. Their drop off is right before nap and their pick up time is 1.5 hours past my closing time. I discussed all of that at our interview.
Oh well in that case ....

"We discussed this during the interview and I was clear that this very thing would not be happening. I'm sorry this won't work out. Good luck on finding daycare."
Shell 03:50 PM 05-12-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Oh well in that case ....

"We discussed this during the interview and I was clear that this very thing would not be happening. I'm sorry this won't work out. Good luck on finding daycare."
Yep. I had a very similar thing happen last week, and posted about it in the members section. I decided to pass on the family, and it was a great decision. I just think that if people don't have the courtesy to send a message, it's not your job to track them down. If this is how they are starting things, I wouldn't want to continue working with them.
MarinaVanessa 04:00 PM 05-12-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
Yep. I had a very similar thing happen last week, and posted about it in the members section. I decided to pass on the family, and it was a great decision. I just think that if people don't have the courtesy to send a message, it's not your job to track them down. If this is how they are starting things, I wouldn't want to continue working with them.
Also keep in mind that if they haven't even had their first day yet and this is happening now (when people are usually on their best behavior) then consider this a window into what your parent/provider relationship will look like in the future. Looks like they aren't taking your needs/time/life into consideration. I'd see this as a huge red flag.
wdmmom 08:39 AM 05-13-2014
Show me the money.

I require all new families to turn in the paperwork and the deposit as well as the first week prior to starting.

If the family contacts you, simply tell her that you were under the impression (after speaking to her) that they would be coming at 230pm yesterday. They are a no call/no show and you will no longer be able to provide services.

Clearly she has no respect for you or your time. Sounds like you dodged a bullet.
Laurel 08:52 AM 05-13-2014
So what happened?

I am guessing that if they did show up today that they had some excuse why the payment would be late.

Laurel
craftymissbeth 09:19 AM 05-13-2014
She never did contact me yesterday. If they show up at 12 today they won't be accepted. It's just rude to not take 5 seconds out of your day to let your daycare know what's going on.
daycarediva 10:15 AM 05-13-2014
She never did contact me yesterday. If they show up at 12 today they won't be accepted. It's just rude to not take 5 seconds out of your day to let your daycare know what's going on.
I agree. Especially with modern technology. Text, quick phone call, email, there is NO excuse.

I would send her a message today saying that the spaces are now filled because of no call no show, I wouldn't wait for a potential drop off
craftymissbeth 10:25 AM 05-13-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I agree. Especially with modern technology. Text, quick phone call, email, there is NO excuse.

I would send her a message today saying that the spaces are now filled because of no call no show, I wouldn't wait for a potential drop off
Good idea. I just texted her "Hi ___, I just wanted to let you know that because you didn't show up or call yesterday, I've decided to continue to advertising to fill my open positions. Thank you for considering me!"

I hit send before I realized that it was way too friendly. Oh well.
daycarediva 10:33 AM 05-13-2014
Kill em with kindness! Let us know if she even responds! If you made it THAT clear, even if she is new to daycare, there is no way that was misunderstood.
MarinaVanessa 10:45 AM 05-13-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Kill em with kindness! Let us know if she even responds! If you made it THAT clear, even if she is new to daycare, there is no way that was misunderstood.

Sounded like a "Thanks for considering me but, screw you you inconsiderate twerp" to me lol
TwinKristi 11:04 AM 05-13-2014
Did she reply???
craftymissbeth 11:30 AM 05-13-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Did she reply???
Nope.
taylorw1210 12:27 PM 05-13-2014
Wow - how shady! She obviously had no intention of ever bringing the kids but kept leading you on like she did!
craftymissbeth 12:29 PM 05-13-2014
IKR! And she's the one who contacted me about enrolling, she pushed me to take her wacky hours, AND she texted me about how excited they were to start. So weird! I understand that situations change, but my goodness just send me a stinking text to let me know.
taylorw1210 12:45 PM 05-13-2014
IKR! And she's the one who contacted me about enrolling, she pushed me to take her wacky hours, AND she texted me about how excited they were to start. So weird! I understand that situations change, but my goodness just send me a stinking text to let me know.
Shady for sure! Sounds like you dodged some major bullets!
Reply Up