Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice Please
Unregistered 09:00 AM 06-01-2018
Hi everyone! I need some help here. I’ve had an infant in care (now 6 months old) for a few months. She’s not a difficult baby at all and her parents are great. My other dcks are all around 20 months. I feel like I’ve come to the realization that infant care just isn’t for me. I think it would be best for my own mental health to term this family and seek out another child closer to the age of the rest of my group.

How would you tell this family, if you were to move forward? How can I convince my husband that the temporary financial hit would be best for the longevity of my business? Am I being crazy and should just deal with it? Thank you.
Unregistered 09:32 AM 06-01-2018
I would also like to add that I know how hard it is to come by good families. That’s the main reason that this is such a dilemma for me.
Michael 10:13 AM 06-01-2018
Welcome to the forum. You can simply tell the family you are no longer offering infant care. Here is another thread with a letter sample: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33447
storybookending 04:39 PM 06-01-2018
If you are worried about the financial hit and the child isn’t a problem there is nothing wrong with lining up a child of an age that you want first and then giving notice to the family of the 6 month old.
rosieteddy 06:20 AM 06-03-2018
If the family is great and the child good I would keep her.Good families and babies are not always there.The older kids will age out and every month this baby gets older.Why not call her your last infant (in your mind).Only interview 12 months and up going forward.I always felt having the infant from the start was good for all.Baby got used to routines and expectations of your program.Parents are good other children will have younger child to interact with ect.I would find it hard to let go of the child not knowing if I could fill the slot or what an older child not already in DC would be like.Just my opinion.
Homebody 07:59 AM 06-03-2018
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
If the family is great and the child good I would keep her.Good families and babies are not always there.The older kids will age out and every month this baby gets older.Why not call her your last infant (in your mind).Only interview 12 months and up going forward.I always felt having the infant from the start was good for all.Baby got used to routines and expectations of your program.Parents are good other children will have younger child to interact with ect.I would find it hard to let go of the child not knowing if I could fill the slot or what an older child not already in DC would be like.Just my opinion.
I agree with this. If there are no other problems I would just tough it out. I currently have two 2 year olds, my 3 year old daughter, and my 5 year old son home for the summer. I also have 2 infants ages 3 and 4 months. The infants sleep half the day, leaving that time to have fun with the older ones. And when the babies are awake I just let the kids have free play. Some days can be challenging, but I just keep in mind that it will be all worth it because I'm getting the babies in a good routine, and soon enough they will be mobile and not so dependent on me for everything.

Just keep in mind, in only a couple months the 6 month old will probably be crawling, and a few months after that walking. If you can get through the next 6 months I think things will be a lot better for you. And do as PP said, from here on out just advertise for older children.
CeriBear 10:54 AM 06-03-2018
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I agree 100% with rosieteddy. Since you seem to have a great relationship with this baby and her family I would keep her. If you feel you are not cut out for infant care just don’t accept any more children less than a year old.
Blackcat31 07:44 AM 06-04-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi everyone! I need some help here. I’ve had an infant in care (now 6 months old) for a few months. She’s not a difficult baby at all and her parents are great. My other dcks are all around 20 months. I feel like I’ve come to the realization that infant care just isn’t for me. I think it would be best for my own mental health to term this family and seek out another child closer to the age of the rest of my group.

How would you tell this family, if you were to move forward? How can I convince my husband that the temporary financial hit would be best for the longevity of my business? Am I being crazy and should just deal with it? Thank you.
I disagree with the others.

I wouldn't keep a child or family just because they are "good" if it means sacrificing your mental health.

IMHO, that is the root of most provider burn out.

Your gut is telling you something. Listen to it.

It has NOTHING to do with the family or child, other than the child's age.

I also think that by the time a poster gets to the point of asking others...they already know what to do.

If this baby (due to age) is causing you stress, term them. Its not personal towards them but IS personal for you.

I think one of the perks of being self employed is being able to call the shots so that your day is harmonious.
NeedaVaca 10:21 AM 06-04-2018
I agree with BC, I decided before I even opened that I would not provide infant care. I just know what I like and I knew having such different age groups was not something I was interested in. I love my toddler group! If you will be happier without infants then that's what you should do!
Tags:infant care - no longer providing letter
Reply Up